cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint Product Ambassadors – a quantitative comparison of the HTC One M8 vs. Samsung Galaxy S4 speaker

Sprint Product Ambassador

My first post on the HTC One M8 was a candid comparison between my new HTC One M8 and the Samsung Galaxy S4 which I became accustomed to (see https://community.sprint.com/baw/message/784101#784101).  In that post I raved about how good the sound of the HTC One M8 is.  I have been showing off my HTC One M8 to my friends and they were all impressed with the sound quality.  The ones who did not have a chance to listen to would either called or IM me and asked me about the subject.  So I thought I may try to perform a test with the tool that I have access to.  Below is another candid report of my findings.

Test setup:

I have Audacity on my computer so I use Audacity to record the sound using the RoHs C1-U microphone that my daughter uses for her recording (my daughter does a bit of singing for her school groups and performances; I believe it is a reasonable good microphone).  The microphone is connected to the USB port of the laptop running Audacity.  Just selecting the C1-U for as the Recording device and voila…  Pretty simple hah.

Test Procedure:

I play the same track (my favorite Dire Strait Walk of Life) on the HTC One M8 then the Galaxy S4.  I tried to adjust the recording level to be the same for the two tests.  After each run I exported the sound recording to an .mp3 file (at 160kbps) and also do a Spectrum Analyzer to the recording.  As you can see below the HTC One M8 does provide a much better result based on the spectrum analysis chart.

Test Results:

htc-speaker.png

HTC One M8 recording spectrum analysis

gs4-speaker.png

Samsung Galaxy S4 recording spectrum analysis

The above charts show that the TTC One M8 provides a much better sound quality over the Samsung Galaxy S4.

Until next time.

Happy Connecting!

“Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors (PA) are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. sprintemployee.