cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HTC One - M8

0 Comments

Capture.JPG

Did you know that you can get one of the hottest cases for the HTC One M8 on accessorypicks.com, Sprint's "other" accessories site besides sprint.com/accessories?

https://www.accessorypicks.com/products/guest-ProductDetails.aspx?pid=1566

Accessory Picks is a partner site of Sprint's where customers can find tons more accessories for Sprint devices that we ourselves may not inventory, so please have a look out there and see what else you may have been looking for that you couldn't find on sprint.com.

The Dot View case is one of the hottest selling cases on HTC.com and other sources like shopandroid.com, so it's great to see that Sprint has it now in these colors in addition to the gray color we have on sprint.com.  As you can see, other PAs are quite impressed with the case and hope you are too if you get one!

Sprint Product Ambassadors: What do you think of the Dot Case

Until next time,

The Product Ambassador Team

Disclaimer:
The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the
company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint
devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador
shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this
post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not
represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond
to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee

2 Comments

It's been said over and over again that HTC really knows how to deliver on a fantastic solid device with an absolutely beautiful design and the HTC M8 is no exception. With all that great hardware it really needs some great software to go with it as well and Android KitKat really

enhances the M8 feel and overall use of the device. Match made in heaven!

As I was hunting around on the web and reading some articles I found this article from CNET that gives you a history of Android going all the back to the G1 (in the full article you can see all the Android versions back to 2008 I only included the version 4.x).

Enjoy:

androidevolutionv3.jpg

In truth, Google's first Android phone, the HTC-made G1, wasn't much to look at when it debuted in October 2008, with its trough for a keyboard and its bizarrely jutting chin. HTC was hardly a known brand, and we weren't even sure if we were getting a single Google Phone or an entire operating system. Still the humble G1, with its ugly design and few apps, kicked off an Android avalanche just the same.

Now in 2014, Android and iOS both command the smartphone market. Yet for all the platform's success, too many versions of the operating system are available at the same time across handsets and carriers. Whether you call that fragmentation or not, Google is actively trying to change it. When the company released version 4.4 KitKat in 2013, it made a big push to make its operating system smaller, so that it could run on budget devices with small amounts of internal storage and just 512MB of RAM (most flagship Android phones have 1GB or more). And yet, while some Android device manufacturers are starting to build KitKat phones, we still see plenty of brand-new low-end devices released with Jelly Bean 4.3 and 4.2. At least for the foreseeable future, the fragmentation problem is here to stay.

4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich)October 2011
  • Support for virtual buttons in addition to touch-sensitive buttons
  • Create folders by dragging apps on top of each other
  • A new app tray tab for thumbing through widgets
  • Calendar app now supports pinch-to-zoom
  • Gmail gets offline search, swiping between conversations
  • Revamped Gmail user interface
  • New Chrome browser syncs with your bookmarks, saves pages offline, supports 16 browser tabs
  • More keyboard error correction, inline spell check
  • Customizable lock screen, launcher
  • Recent applications icon
  • Roboto typeface
  • New swipe/delete behavior
  • Improved voice integration and copy and paste
  • Face Unlock security feature
  • Data Usage tracking
  • Hide unwanted app icons
  • Shut down apps that are using background data
  • Native camera features include zero shutter lag, continuous focus, zoom while recording, taking a still photo while recording, panorama photos, time lapse settings 1080p recording
  • Face detection in the camera
  • Integrated photo editor
  • New gallery layout, organized by location and person
  • Phone app lets you swipe between favorite friends with integrated visual voice mail
  • Speed up and slow down voice mails
  • Quick message sends canned response text message when you decline a call
  • Android Beam, an NFC feature for exchanging information between two phones by tapping them
  • Wi-Fi Direct support

4.1 (Jelly Bean)July 2012
  • Faster, smoother performance with "Project Butter"
  • Expandable notifications with greater interaction
  • Voice search access by swiping up from bottom of the screen
  • Voice actions engine replies to some queries
  • Google Now
  • Offline dictation
  • Default Chrome browser
  • Resizable app widgets (for some)
  • Android Beam support for transferring larger files, like photo and video
  • New filmstrip view of recent shots in the camera app
  • Applications update in Google Play with just the changed code
  • Sound search widget for music ID
  • Higher-resolution contact photos
  • Greater accessibility options
  • Expanded language support, especially for Arabic and Hebrew
  • Interface tweaks

4.2-4.3 (Jelly Bean)November 2012-October 2013
  • Lock screen widgets, and the ability to open the camera from the lock screen.
  • Quick Settings in the notification menu to toggle Wi-Fi or Bluetooth and more.
  • "Daydream" screensavers, which show time and other information when the screen is locked or device is docked.
  • Multiple user accounts on tablets only.
  • Support for wireless display (such as Miracast)
  • Accessibility features, including triple-tap to magnify the entire screen, pan and zoom with two fingers. Speech output for blind users.
  • Unified interface layout for all devices, with system bar at the top of the screen, and a home screen dock
  • More Actionable Notifications, which let you respond to the notification without opening the app.
  • Bluetooth Low Energy support.
  • Location tracking with Wi-Fi -- your device can track your location without turning on Wi-Fi.
  • Support for 4K resolution phones.

4.4 (KitKat)October 2013
  • Major design interface update, especially for new Nexus devices.
  • Translucent status bar in the OS and in apps.
  • New "immersive mode" where apps can hide navigation and status bars.
  • The size of the operating system shrunk so it can run on lower-end devices with small amounts of RAM and internal storage.
  • Wireless printing using Google Cloud Print

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors (PA) are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. sprintemployee.

0 Comments

My first post on the HTC One M8 was a candid comparison between my new HTC One M8 and the Samsung Galaxy S4 which I became accustomed to (see https://community.sprint.com/baw/message/784101#784101).  In that post I raved about how good the sound of the HTC One M8 is.  I have been showing off my HTC One M8 to my friends and they were all impressed with the sound quality.  The ones who did not have a chance to listen to would either called or IM me and asked me about the subject.  So I thought I may try to perform a test with the tool that I have access to.  Below is another candid report of my findings.

Test setup:

I have Audacity on my computer so I use Audacity to record the sound using the RoHs C1-U microphone that my daughter uses for her recording (my daughter does a bit of singing for her school groups and performances; I believe it is a reasonable good microphone).  The microphone is connected to the USB port of the laptop running Audacity.  Just selecting the C1-U for as the Recording device and voila…  Pretty simple hah.

Test Procedure:

I play the same track (my favorite Dire Strait Walk of Life) on the HTC One M8 then the Galaxy S4.  I tried to adjust the recording level to be the same for the two tests.  After each run I exported the sound recording to an .mp3 file (at 160kbps) and also do a Spectrum Analyzer to the recording.  As you can see below the HTC One M8 does provide a much better result based on the spectrum analysis chart.

Test Results:

htc-speaker.png

HTC One M8 recording spectrum analysis

gs4-speaker.png

Samsung Galaxy S4 recording spectrum analysis

The above charts show that the TTC One M8 provides a much better sound quality over the Samsung Galaxy S4.

Until next time.

Happy Connecting!

“Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors (PA) are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. sprintemployee.

0 Comments

http://www.shopandroid.com/images/product_images/accessories/additional_images/17872/large/1.jpg (source)

So, you finally decided to pick up an M8, but now you are terrified of dropping this beauty. 

You started perusing through Amazon, but have a difficult time finding something that looks

good, has an established company backing it up, and hits an affordable price point. Well,

look no further, because do I have a case for you! The Spigen (pronounced "Spih-ggen")

slim armor case is the one for you.

http://lghttp.16708.nexcesscdn.net/80849A/spigen/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/n/e/new_htc_one_case_sa_gunmetal02_1.jpg (source)

Ok, enough propaganda. It's you and me talking here. This thing is legit. It feels solid, has

dual layer protection (combination of Polycarbonate and TPU), and is reasonably priced at

around $16 from multiple vendors. It looks good, and feels great in the hand. It also comes in

different colors, in case a generic black case is not your style, and even the black one is not-so-

generic, looking extra sharp compared to others in this price point. The only downside is that it

prevents the use of the RF blaster, which is not a big deal to the large portion of us that have

televisions that bring remotes included with them. Seriously, though, that is a very small drawback

for the amount of awesome this case brings to the table. I have personally had it for about a week

or two, and haven't even gotten a scratch on it, even after dropping it several times. The TPU part

of the case is webbed, so it provides a little more protection than some of the other cases. My

favorite aspect is that the physical buttons still "click" the same way they would without a case on

them. I know that is a bit nitpicky, but it is a small pet peeve of mine, and I know others that feel the

same.

All considered, I would highly recommend this case. You can find a full video demo here, and can

purchase it here, amongst other places.

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. sprintemployee

0 Comments

Last year, HTC threw in a curve ball in the Android space by launching the HTC One (M7) to show their prowess in the design space. The One made a statement with its excellent build and no gap design to show what Android phones can look and feel like when comparing with the fruit. With the HTC One M8 and the M8 Harmon Kardon Edition (HK) they have done it again. They have shown that even though they are the underdog, they can still produce a quality product that has its unique features that consumers will love. With that I would like to discuss my favorite feature of the phone.

This device is perfect for media consumers. The M8 sports a full HD 5" 1080p Super LCD screen which delivers bright and crisp videos and images for you to consume. The size and shape of the phone make it easy to hold in the hand for extended periods of time. But that is not what is my favorite part. I love the front stereo speakers. So far no manufacturer has thought of putting in 2 stereo speakers in the front. They all put one either on the bottom (near the charger) or the back, which doesnt make sense, but HTC decided and implemented a perfect solution for media consumers. Take a look:

http://cdn1.mos.techradar.futurecdn.net//art/mobile_phones/HTC/HTC_OneM8/HandsOn2/HTC%20One%20M8%20review%20(9)-580-90.JPGhttp://i-cdn.phonearena.com/images/articles/115889-image/BoomSound-stereo-speakers.jpg  http://i.i.cbsi.com/cnwk.1d/i/tim2/2013/08/30/LG_G2_35826159-5391.jpg

On the left and center, we have 2 pictures of HTC One M8's speakers and on the right we have the G2 speakers. You can guess where I am going with this.

Another issue, that makes it even more difficult to hear your content on the built in speakers is the case. With phones that have the speaker in the back (see below). Depending on how the case is designed and how tightly snug it is, the sound just vibrates within the case and you can barely hear anything. Agian with HTC's design, no case will even pose that threat!

http://sweeps4bloggers.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/otter5.jpg

As we all know, one of the most common uses of a big phone is to watch videos or play games. Sound is an integral part of this experience and I believe HTC is the king here. Now add the Harmon Kardon experience into the mix and you are looking at an even more elevated experience for enjoying your content.

So give HTC a try and see if you agree.

- Your Product Ambassador Team

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors (PA) are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. sprintemployee.

0 Comments

Handset devices become real expensive these days, especially if I have to replace a broken phone while my device has not been eligible for an upgrade yet (I either have to pay the repair cost, full price for the replaced device or buying a used device from someone). One rule I have for my kids is that they can only use the phone when they have a proper case for the phone. With that being said, when I buy them a new phone, before I activate the phone, they must have a case ready.

No exception for me, I have to get a case for each phone I use. No matter how careful you are, you always can drop the phone. In the last month I saw 3 of my colleagues had broken phone screens: they do not believe in having a case for their phones. In the past, I bought the Otter box for my previous 3 phones. This time, I was looking around and got hold of a Spigen Slim Armor case for my HTC One M8, and I like the case very much. It is solidly built, gives the phone good protection (I dropped the phone a couple of times unhurt!), and I think the price is pretty fair too.

As you can see from the photos below, the Spigen case design really makes it looks like the phone itself. The rubber air cushioned edges do provide good protection, but look like part of the phone. The metal portion of the frame make me think it is the HTC One body, very neat.

spigen-20140520_101335.jpg

spigen-20140520_101353.jpg

Spigen does have many other designs for the same phone from what I can see, they have probably more choices for a single model than what I have found on other brands.

One thing I do not like about this case, is that the button covers are softer so I can easily press the Volume Up and Down button which results in cancelling my phone from vibrate mode. Hope Spigen will adjust this design in the future.

Definitely, I will look at Spigen for my next phone whenever
I upgrade next, hopefully.

For now, Happy Connecting!

Your Sprint Ambassador team.

“Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors (PA) are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. sprintemployee.

0 Comments

1.jpg

After receiving my Spigen case I was amazed by the amount of detail on the case itself. Spigen did a great job making the user feel as if you don't have a case on the phone at all. Aesthetically making the case look and feel as if it is apart of the phone and not attached. That is something Spigen strives for with their cases. They don't want to change the look of your phone they want to highlight how beautiful the HTC M8 already is. The case fits perfectly with no wiggle or creaking noises that some cases do. The two piece case really protects the phone from damage with Spigen's exclusive air gap technology leaving a little bit of air space between the TPU so it will maximize shock absorption is genius. The cut outs for the camera on this case are the most precise I have seen on any case, I enjoy seeing the camera recessed for extra protection from damage, dust and smudges. The Polycarbonate shell really gives you the high end look and feel you expect holding the HTC M8. I have attached a video review of the case further explaining why this is the best case available for the HTC M8.

• Combination of TPU and Polycarbonate for dual protection from drops and scratches
  • Advanced Shock Absorption Technology: Web Pattern TPU case
  • Slim, lightweight and form-fitted
  • Perfect cutouts for the camera, speakers and other ports

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.

0 Comments

Zoe is an amazing feature with the HTC One M8. If you are a picture and camera lover then this is the phone for you. The Zoe provides so many benefits for you.

1. Zoe captures up to 20 images at a time and allows you to pick the best shot. No more catching pictures when everyone blinks or moves. Pick the perfect shot every time!

2. Sequence shot allows for great action pictures! this takes the 20 shots in a row so you capture every moment of that goal, trick, shot, or touchdown! Create a sequence shot by going to Edit > Retouch > Sequence Shot and selecting the frames you want to use to create an amazing composite in a single photo.

3. While moving you can start the 3 second Zoe capture and get different angles to ensure that you get the best side, or best picture possible.

4. When done. Use HTC share to send up to 10 pictures to your family and friends. Get your family he moments they will enjoy with no time wasted.

You can see the benefits of the Zoe right here. I use it for my family alot. I have a 3 year old daughter and some times its just hard to get a good shot of her, so this just makes it easier and I am sure to get the best picture and get it to the grandparents and aunt or uncle right away!

Your Sprint Product Ambassador

“Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology.

They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador

shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions

of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community

members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.”

0 Comments

It turns out that music subscription services are quite popular. I wrote just a couple of weeks ago about being new to the whole subscription music world. Today I would like to share some more information about the Spotify app and my experience on the HTC One (M8) harman/kardon edition. (h/k)

My review is specific to the ad free premium app version that I am trying out thanks to the awesome six months free promotion currently offered to Sprint Framily customers. I have not tried the browser version as there is no need to stream through the computer thanks to the speakers on the HTC One h/k.

06+Spot.png

The Spotify app menu consists of:

Search: use keywords to find artists, full albums, Spotify created playlists and your own previously created playlist. So far at least, I have yet to enter any popular artist and not find several song and album choices. Results populate quickly and there are many options to save songs, artists, and albums.

Browse: This really troubles my ADD. There are so many great options including Top Lists, New Releases and my favorite-- Genres and Moods. I have been using Browse to explore a wide variety of music styles. Workout has great gym options, Focus to help me relax without distraction and even a very obscure and odd channel called Presidential Voices.

04+Spot.png

Want to hear a speech from Teddy Roosevelt in 1909? You will find it on Spotify and many audio books too.

Discover: This is a smart search area with listening suggestions based on your history and what is currently popular.

05+Spot.png

Radio: This is not local radio but instead basically Genre playlists with the option to thumbs down and thumbs up songs. Give the tune thumbs down and you will not hear it again.

Your Music: After you Create playlists, save songs, save albums or save artists here is where they will be found. I am absolutely appreciating the 32G HTC one as I have most of my songs and playlists set to be available offline. These files are Spotify specific and not available after downloading through another app. This is a key to the benefit of the subscription level Spotify membership.

Settings: One option I have tried here is the setting for music quality when streaming or downloading. There are three options including, extreme, high or normal. I have tried all three and it seems that thanks to HTC Clari-Fi each choice sounds great to me.

03+Spot.png

For sure Spotify is helping me make the most out of the amazing speakers on the HTC One (M8) Harman/Kardon edition. Heck, I feel kind of sorry for people who may be trying to listen to music on the tiny little single speaker on other devices.  It really does sound loud and amazing.

Have you tried Spotify yet? Have you heard the music quality difference of the Harman/Kardon edition with Clari-Fi? I am hooked!

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.

0 Comments

Every phone that i have had I have protected with a case,  There are many options out there, I have always been partial to the Otterbox Commuter case, but it has its down side with bulk,  I recently have been buying Supcase's for my last couple phones they have a very slim factor for a case, but they also offer decent protection.  On my Htc M8 I had a Supcase but recently switched to the Spigen Slim Armor case and I must say, its a great go between from a Otterbox to a Supcase.  It is as protective as the Otterbox but has the slim form factor that the Supcase has,  Its the best of both worlds, protection without the added bulk.  Pick one up you wont be disappointed.

For more on Spigan Cases go to there Website here

pictures are a Spigan Slim Armor case, Supcase, and Otterbox Commuter

KIMG0005.jpgCapture1.PNGob.jpg

“Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.”

0 Comments

You may have seen my previous post on my initial return to the HTC device from the Samsung Galaxy S4 (see link here).  After two weeks of use, I must say that the HTC One M8 brings back a lot of my good memory about HTC and here are the things I like and things that I would like HTC to improve on their next device or next software update.

The things I like the most about the HTC One M8:

1. HTC has clearly made this device stand out from the rest is the sound quality.  You may have seen reviews about how good the sound quality of this device is.  It is truly awesome.  I am talking about the standard M8 product not even the Sprint exclusive HTC One M8 Harmon Kardon Edition.  You may want to pass by a Sprint store and try out the sound quality of this device if you have a chance.
  2. The simplicity of HTC sense UI. I really like the HTC sense UI interface, I can make it as simple as I like.  I love the way I can have the clock and weather combined in a single widget.  The new status screen is also nice, instead having a single row of quick access icons (like on the Galaxy S4), here you can have up to a screen full of quick access icons.  It is very convenient for my use.
    To be honest, I am not a Blinkfeeds fan, I have the screen there but hardly use it and have not tried to see how I can configure to get more use out of the feeds!
  3. I am convinced that HTC takes more advantage of Google indexing facility on the phone. The smart dialing feature, which is not available on the iPhone, is working much better on the HTC then on a Samsung Galaxy.  For those IOS users, the smart dialing feature is on the phone dial pad, you can type in the name of the contact using the phone keypad, the dialer will look up into your contact list of the phone to suggest you the names of the people you want to call.  On the HTC, I can enter the name whichever way I can; for example if I have a contact name displayed as JOHN DOE, the smart dialing can recognize the following key sequence D. O, E, J, O… whereas on the Galaxy S4 I have to enter the name as it is displayed J, O, H, N, D, O … If I enter D, O, E then the phone cannot recognize if I continue to enter J, O,

I use this feature all the time on the HTC (including my previous HTC EVO devices) and find it very useful indeed.
  4. Do not know if this is HTC specific or an Android KitKat feature because this is the first time I see on a phone.  If I have my Bluetooth headset connected to the phone, and I make a phone call or about to accept an incoming call, a popup window allowing me to select the audio source for the call (Bluetooth headset, speaker, or normal phone without speaker).  This is very convenient in a car, where I have my Bluetooth headset connected but listening music via the car AUX port via my audio cable; I can select to use the Bluetooth headset for the phone conversation.
  5. The selfie camera on this HTC One M8 is great, having more pixels and much wider angle than my previous phones.  I do not use it as much but my daughters use the selfie mode a lot, they would love to get their hands on my HTC One M8 to take selfie pictures.

One disappointment is the implementation of the dual camera mode.  On the Galaxy S4, the main camera is the main scene and I can capture me as a small picture in the main scene.  The HTC One M8 dual camera mode is reverse: selfie is the main scene, which does not make a lot of senses , or at least gives us the option of selecting which one is the main camera..
  6. The main camera works really well in low light.  You can see the two photos I  took using the HTC One M8 and the Galaxy S4 in the same lighting condition below:

htc-one-m8-lowlight-20140506_234950.jpg
    HTC One M8 (auto setting, no flash)

galaxy-s4-lowlight-20140506_234950.jpg
    Galaxy S4 (auto etting, no flash)
  7. I like the stock email app on the HTC than the one on the Galaxy S4.  I can have email thread collapsed into one group, very convenient to go through to see the whole story.  With all the spam emails I receive each day, it is a breeze to empty the trash folder on the HTC; on the Galaxy S4 I have to select the emails that I want to empty in the trash to remove them (very time consuming)

The things that I would like HTC to improve on:

1. The camera for normal picture.  I personally prefer the photo color and brightness of the photos on the Galaxy S4 than the HTC One M8 in normal light condition. The higher pixels of the Galaxy S4 also offers more details and especially allows me to crop the images and still have a reasonable quality picture.  I have not been that happy with the photo quality of the HTC EVO line and this HTC One M8.
  2. The phone dialer alpha characters are not brightly shown, under bright light condition, e.g. walking under the sun, I can hardly see the Alpha characters on the phone dial pad.  Wish the HTC engineers had tested this dialer outdoor under the sun!
  3. Somehow it is so easy to switch my phone off vibrate mode.  The volume button is easy to get pressed hence the phone is easily changed from vibrate mode, to silence or with some small volume on my HTC One M8 by just slipping the phone in and out of the pocket.
  4. The top status line gets very busy in a very short time, it almost makes it meaningless as it is overloaded with information there.  Maybe by default most of the notifications should be turned off.
  5. The app window, I have to scroll through pages to select the app icon.  Would be nice if it is organized by pages then it is easier to skip to the page that has the app that I need.  This comment is applicable to both the normal app selection screen, or the app screen where I want to dock an app on a home screen panel.

Happy Connecting!

Sprint Product Ambassadors Team.

(*) “Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors (PA) are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. sprintemployee.

0 Comments

hk-third-phone-image.png

I couldn't be happier while reviewing this device. There is so much to love about it. Starting from the beginning would be the design, the beautiful metal case with a gold front and black on the back. This is the best looking phone I have ever seen. I know the design of the HTC One M8 has been talked about forever but you know it's great when every reviewer has to say something about it. HTC hands down makes the best looking and feeling device on the market. The speakers, I can't say enough about them. Why has it taken all the manufactures so long to figure out front facing speaker make the most sense? They are incredibly loud and they don't distort at max volume like most speakers. The camera is great and it's pretty cool to use the after focus effect, thanks to the second camera. HTC has overhauled the camera UI and they did a great job making it very easy to understand. The screen on this device is so clear and just a joy to look at. The colors are very realistic compared to AMOLED screens. I still have a hard time getting over I have a 1080p screen in my pocket. I still remember my crt monitors at 1024x768 and I thought it was amazing then! The battery life is spectacular on my HK M8. I easily get between 24 and 30 hours, with medium use. Heavy use I typically get about 20 hours which is still insane. I have always been a Nexus fan and still love stock android, HTC is the only OEM UI that I actually like using. It is very minimal and nice to look at. I was really happy to see HTC make changes their customers wanted from the M7. I was so pleased by HTC finally keeping the android buttons in the correct order and on the screen. Manufactures need to follow the stock android design by using back, home and multi-task. If not at least let the user customize the buttons. Moving onto the gesture support, the double tap to wake is AMAZING. I never use the power button anymore because the double tap to wake is much easier and natural. This phone is my favorite so far and will be for a long time. HTC really makes a phone that you don't mind holding onto for two years. I had zero issues with my phone while testing for the last month. Call quality is excellent, great radio strength with fast LTE speeds. I was blessed enough to try out the included ear buds from Harmon/Kardon and lets just say I stopped using all other headphones in my house. The added tweaks that Harmon/Kardon designed into the phone made the best phone better. Its like being at a concert every time I fire up Spotify with my HK ear buds.If your on the fence about getting the M8 HK edition stop thinking about it, you wont be disappointed!

0 Comments

When BlinkFeed was first introduced on the first generation HTC One (M7), I was skeptical. I thought

"well, this is just another piece of bloatware I am never going to use.". I am an android purist, so I was

not fond of the idea that a manufacturer was pushing something down my throat. After using it on the

new HTC One M8, I completely regret that decision.

http://www.androidguys.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/sense-6.0-blinkfeed-578x325.jpg  (source)

I have a regimen I follow every morning: I reach for my phone, check my messages, e-mails, and any

other notification I may have, and move on to the news. Before I adopted Google Currents (replaced

by Play Newstand), I would peruse every individual news source I enjoyed frequenting: AndroidPolice,

AndroidCentral, CNN, NPR, TheVerge and Engadget. As much as I loved reading what was new in the

world, going to each website was inconvenient, so Newstand seemed like a Godsend. Now that I have

access to BlinkFeed, Newstand seems like the old "I used to walk 5 miles to school in the snow" story.

http://blogs.computerworld.com/sites/computerworld.com/files/u177/htc-sense-6-d.jpg (source)

BlinkFeed allows you to setup a custom feed from all of your favorite news sources and social media networks!

You can find a step by step guide here, and if you are averse to reading (hopefully not my blogs!), this video

should help. There are a ton of great news sources to choose from, including some of the favorites I mentioned

above. Setup could not be easier, making this one of the best integrated features on any phone. If, even after

reading this, the guide, or watching the video, you still do not want to deal with BlinkFeed, you can easily turn it off

by long-pressing the homescreen, clicking "manage home screen panels", swiping to the BlinkFeed screen and

pressing "remove". 

I urge you to try it, even if you are still skeptical. I know I am glad I gave it a chance. 

What do you think of BlinkFeed? Feel free to post or ask below.

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. sprintemployee

0 Comments

icon_128.pnghk-second-phone-image.png

I have been using skip lock on all my devices for about a year now. This app lets you keep your phone secure without having to enter your password every time. I'm big on security but most of the time its a hassle. In the past I would enable a lock screen in case my phone was stolen or I left it out in a public place. The lock screen would last a few days and then I would get tired of having to type in my pin or pattern. It takes so much longer to get past the lock screen, if your in a hurry. Jumping right in the beauty of skip lock allows you to add "safe locations" to your phone and it will disable the lock screen. An example of this would be using my phone at home on my WiFi network. I don't need a lock screen when I'm at home, but as soon as I drive away from my house or I am out of the range of my router, the lock screen enables when the screen shuts off. It can also be done with Bluetooth devices, if your using a headset and your phone will be a few feet away from you then why bother with a lock screen. The battery saving features this app brings along with the already stellar battery performance with the HTC One M8 HK edition is incredible. The app allow your device to be automated when your in these "safe areas". My phone is set to turn off WiFi and Bluetooth when they are disconnected after two minutes. this stops me from always manually turning Wifi and Bluetooth on and off and draining precious battery. I have attached screen shots of the app below, it is very straight forward and easy to set up.

SkipLock: Skip the lock screen - Android Apps on Google Play

0 Comments

As most of you may do right after buying one of these beauties we call phones, you want to protect it from accidents. I immediately try to tuck my device in a nice slim and solid case right out of the box (I dont trust my kids on appropriate handling). So the M8 was no exception. Luckily I found Spigen, makers of high quality and solid cases for most of the flagship devices out there. Below is the Slim Armor case for the M8 that I currently am using on my M8.

http://lghttp.16708.nexcesscdn.net/80849A/spigen/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/n/e/new_htc_one_case_sa_gunmetal02_1.jpg

This case has excellent craftmanship and sleek looks. But don't let the name fool you. It is not one of the slimmest cases out there. BUT it does fare well against some of the other rugged offerings out there. I like the 2 tone colors and the plastic back is changable with other colors if you so wish to do that. this case features:

• Combination of TPU and Polycarbonate for dual protection from drops and scratches
  • Advanced Shock Absorption Technology: Web Pattern TPU case
  • Slim, lightweight and form-fitted
  • Perfect cutouts for the camera, speakers and other ports

http://www.shopandroid.com/images/product_images/accessories/additional_images/17872/large/1.jpg

My kids have dropped my phone a couple of times and I am please to say that the phone was well protected and so is the case. Wouldnt it be nice to have a case that also doesnt get dinged in the process of protection?

Until Next Time!

- Your Product Ambassador Team

0 Comments

The low light ability on the HTC One M8 is great. The M8 is following the path laid out by HTC with the M7 which was the first to take high quality low light pictures. I have not seen another phone on the market take a better low light picture then the HTC One series phones. though I am not a huge photo, the M8 allows me to take quality pictures even when the surrounding environment is not conducive for high quality pictures. This phone gathers all the available light via the sensor, allowing you to take that perfect picture even in a dark room.

Happy snapping.

Here's a low light picture comparison of a HTC One M8, HTC One M7, Samsung Galaxy S5, Samsung Galaxy S4.

(the pictures are in the same order m8,m7,s5,s4)

m8ll.jpglow light HTC One.jpg

s5.jpglow light GSIII.jpg

“Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.”

1 Comment

So far with the HTC One M8 I have to say that the phone just feels great in my hand. Not too big, not too small. The metal body gives my hand a good grip. I have heard some say that the metal body makes it slip more for them, but with me its the opposite. I love the grip that it gives me. Maybe its my hands? But the fact of the matter is, that this phone just feels awesome. I'm not a huge fan of having a phone that feels like plastic, or that just feels cheap. When I hold the One M8 the only thing I feel is quality. You know how some restaurants say that you can taste the quality? kind of the same thing with the M8 but you can truly feel the quality. I don't feel like i'm gonna break it, or crack it. Its solid, well shaped, and just plain comfortable in my hands.

The other cool thing, in my opinion is that when someone actually has the HTC One M8 to their ear and you see it, it just looks cool. You see the shine of the metal body and just think "Now that's a cool phone". I have even decided to not get a case because of the fact that I like the look and the feel of it so much!

This is just my little take on the design, feel, and comfort of the HTC One M8.

Photos By Trustedreviews.com

Your Product Ambassador team!

“Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology.

They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador

shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions

of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community

members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.”

0 Comments

As I mentioned a few blogs ago, I had certain qualms about covering up the beautiful M8 with a case. The phone just looks too good to cover up. That being said, not long after writing that blog, I dropped the phone and it skidded across my dining room floor. Needless to say, I was mortified. While it didn't get any damage aside from a few barely noticeable scratches on the back, my qualms about buying a case were quickly overcome by my intense desire to protect the phone from all future harm. Of course, being that it was my birthday that week, I never got the chance to go out and buy a case before two cases were sitting in front of me.

Case 1:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/ivanmmj/First%20Case%20-%20M8/KIMG0019.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/ivanmmj/First%20Case%20-%20M8/KIMG0022.jpg

What model is the first case? Umm... I have no idea. You see, in my hurry to protect the phone, I opened up the packaging and consequently threw away the packaging as I was not at home when I received the case. Regardless of the model, this case looks GREAT.

Here are a few highlights:

The back is clear which allows you to be ogle at the beautiful phone.

The texture of the is "grippy" for lack of a better term, meaning less drops.

It's a soft and rubbery case and I've always thought soft and rubbery cases absorb more impact. (This is not based on any scientific evidence. This is just my personal opinion.)

The case has a cut out around the power button that allows the use of the IR blaster.

There are, however, a few drawbacks to the case.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/ivanmmj/First%20Case%20-%20M8/KIMG0026.jpg

As you can see above, the case is very easy to scratch. It's actually really bad. Within the first 2 hours of owning the case, I had several scratches on it. The picture above shows the case without the phone and, even though the case is clear, you can clearly (no pun intended) see the scratches.

Furthermore, the cut out that allows me to use the IR blaster also causes another unintended drawback. As it is a cut out, the button sits far back into the phone itself and thus the power button ends up being recessed and harder to press.

Similarly, the volume buttons do not stick out too much and thus are also harder to press than not having the case on.

Case 2:

Spigen Slim Armor

First off, let me start by saying that this case comes enclosed in some nice packaging! I know that may not be a big deal to some but it was just nice to see Spigen go the extra mile.

The Spigen is made out of two pieces: a softer inner rubber piece and an outer harder piece. This gives you the feel of a hard case without the extra bulk and the shock absorption of a soft case.

Inner piece:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/ivanmmj/Second%20Case%20-%20M8/KIMG0031.jpg

Outer Piece: (I apologize for the blurry pictures.)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/ivanmmj/Second%20Case%20-%20M8/KIMG0032.jpg

Together, the case looks very snazzy.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/ivanmmj/Second%20Case%20-%20M8/IMAG0152.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/ivanmmj/Second%20Case%20-%20M8/IMAG0150.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/ivanmmj/Second%20Case%20-%20M8/IMAG0149.jpg

Unfortunately, there is one drawback to this case. It may not affect everyone as not everyone uses it, but the case does block out the IR blaster.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/ivanmmj/Second%20Case%20-%20M8/IMAG0151.jpg

On the other hand, this makes the power button VERY easy to get to and press. In fact, every button, including the power button is extremely easy to press with this case. This is a huge plus, especially when you are trying to press a button on the phone in the dark.

The last thing I want to touch upon is that, while this case isn't as grippy as the the first case, it is still grippy enough to avoid being flung out of my hands and skidding across my dining room floor.

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity.

0 Comments

OSR-Wk108_ws.jpg

I get asked all the time: "Hey CJ what's your favorite device?" The truth of the matter is that I like a lot of devices for a lot of different reasons. It's true that I have my favorites; my *go-to* devices when I'm not testing or supporting a current launch device. Lately my *go-to* device has been the HTC One (M8) (and I prefer the Harman Kardon edition most of all).

But don't just take my word for it. Ask the public enthusiasts and experts in the industry what they like and how they rank devices and they all seem to be singing the same song. Or, at least they have been saying the same thing for the last eight weeks.

PhoneDog.com is one of my most trusted sources of information. They allow readers to vote every week on their favorite devices. While those results may be a little skewed since the average smartphone owner doesn't switch devices as often as, say, me, they are generally "in-the-know" kind of people. PhoneDog also polls a panel of trusted, well-tenured tech and gadget experts. Every week they post the results of Users and Experts favorites in their device rankings. For the last eight weeks the results have been...well, predictable.

The HTC One (M8) tops the device rankings as voted on by users as well as technology experts. The One (M8) has led the rankings for eight weeks since the first poll following the release of the One (M8) on March 25.

Here's a clip from the latest weekly ranking report:

PhoneDog.com Official Smartphone Rankings -- week 115

MT PLEASANT, SC – May 22, 2014

"PhoneDog Media's Official Smartphone Rankings™ (OSR) is the gold standard for ranking the best smartphones on the market by placing votes from readers and experts in their respective charts. With more than double the votes of the Samsung Galaxy Note 3, the HTC One (M8) continues to be the fan favorite... The Note 3 remained second...while the original HTC One (M7) held onto third..."

"Taking 1st place by 10 points this week, the HTC One (M8) was the experts’ favorite as well. Second place went to the Samsung Galaxy Note 3...followed by the Samsung Galaxy S5..."

182086-blog_wk115.JPG

PhoneDog.com has great information that I rely on frequently. I hope you find their information helpful for your next device purchase consideration.

Until next time,

Your Sprint Product Ambassadors

credit: phonedog.com

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee

0 Comments

complex review.JPG

Complex has published an excellent review of the HTC One M8 HK that got the attention of Dan Hesse himself and we here at the Product Ambassador Team wanted to make sure the news got out to you too.  This is a great article on the amazing sound enhancements by HTC and Harman-Kardon in the M8 HK device.  We agree that it truly is "the best sounding Android phone in the world" and we're proud to have this innovative device in the Sprint portfolio exclsuively!

Read on for the whole review:

Name: HTC One M8 Harman Kardon Edition

Carrier: Sprint

Price: $230 (w/two-year contract)

The Back Story:  Exclusivity once played the biggest influence when it came to buying a smartphone. We witnessed it with the original iPhone, and notably, through one of HTC’s earliest Android offerings, the EVO 4G, which until this day is considered Sprint’s greatest sole mobile handset. But those days are gone, as every major manufacturer is now being solicited to create multi-carrier handsets. Though it seems the company's Now Network is revisiting the old business model, securing a deal with HTC to re-release its latest flagship device in conjunction with Harman Kardon, creating the HTC One M8 Harman Kardon Edition.

Seeing how the original One M8 is already seen as the front-runner for smartphone of the year, one has to question how else the handset can be improved. The answer lies in a new audio solution and enhanced music experience highlighted by special services not found on any other phone. So, is the One M8 Harman Kardon Edition a massive step up from its regular counterpart or the same device with minor bonuses?

DOPE

• Mobile audio at its best: The regular M8 already stands out as an elite sound handset courtesy of its pleasing BoomSound technology and amplified speakers. Though it’s amazing to see how HTC was able to up the ante this time around by optimizing its receivers with HK’s audio software. Being accustomed to the heavy and un-tuned bass levels standard on the older Beats-enabled smartphones, you can definitely notice the difference in depth here, as HK's architecture produces better clarity and fuller output.

At the core of it all is two of the company’s patented technologies: Clari-Fi and LiveStage. The former uses specific algorithms to analyze music as it’s being played to pick up notes that were lost due to audio compression, where the latter expands the soundscape for headphones so users can hear tracks as if they were being played on a live stage. The two work incredibly together to produce clear bass and complete highs and mids. We’re also huge on the phone playing uncompressed FLAC files flawlessly without losing reproduction.

• Same beautiful design, updated color: When it comes to mobile craftsmanship, HTC continues its reign as king with the One M8. Its stunning all-aluminum unibody frame and sleek curves just scream extravagance. the newly introduced gold and black shade adds flavor to its resonant presence by giving off that high-end ‘80s speaker look. In an odd way, the gold in front makes the gorgeous 5-inch, 1080p display pop more by complementing the richer colors and vibrant contrast better than the standard version. The HK imprint in the back is also a sweet touch that adds to its exclusivity status.

.NQ Live experience: While most interface additions integrated by mobile carriers are trash, Sprint gains cool points for introducing an innovative new feature dubbed NQ Live that sits on the homescreen and overlaps Sense 6.0—serving as the default music experience on the device. We love the fact it provides instant access to Spotify. Not to mention the "ID a Song" feature pulls up results quicker than expected, naming and recognizing tracks in a matter of seconds. Users can access it by hitting the yellow tab on the top left, where it also submits music suggestions and the chance to purchase ringtones/ringbacks.

•  Great battery life: Vitality is one of biggest areas HTC improved on, as the built-in 2,600 mAh battery pushes a good 13+ hours on heavy use and close to 20 hours on standard use. Turning on the power-saving mode or utilizing Sleep Mode will certainly squeeze more juice from the cell. It's satisfying to know you’ll be able to browse the web and engage in multimedia playback without worrying about the power bar draining before mid-day.

• Extra audio perks: A third partnership was introduced with the handset, as Spotify linked up with Sprint to bless HK edition owners who sign up for a Framily plan with a six-month free trial of the service. Once the trial period is finished, subscribers can continue using it at a discounted fee of $8 a month, where as those with 6 to 10 people in their Framily receive the service for $5. And as a part of the phone packaging, HK throws in a free pair of its AE-S headphones that are individually priced at $80. Trust us when we say it's a vast improvement from the Beats in-ears bundled in previous HTC devices.

NOPE

Bad 4G service: Relegated to Sprint’s new Spark LTE, the handset suffers from weak data speeds to the point where we found ourselves running on the network’s 3G service in most areas in New York City. Then again, Sprint subscribers are accustomed to such slow performance by now.

Same unfavorable camera: As we mentioned in our previous review, the UltraPixel sensor is still plagued by a lack of optical image stabilization and low-res output. Image quality remains patchy in low-light settings and the camera struggles with mixed scenes, leading to the consistent use of UFocus.

Final Say: Simply put, the One M8 Harman Kardon Edition is the same awesome phone that was launched about a month back, only boasting the premier sonic profile of a top-tier audio brand. Owners will still receive the signature camera features, high-powered specs, and sharp motion-sensitive gestures. They just have the luxury of basking in HK’s striking soundstage as well. The only really complaint comes from Sprint’s premature Spark network, which is still in its development stages and fails to deliver high-speed results. Other than that, this version of the One M8 is easily the best one out, as well as the carrier’s top option.

Source: Complex

Until next time,

The Product Ambassador Team

0 Comments

Before the M8 was announced, many wondered what would HTC call their new flagship? HTC Two (my choice)? HTC One 2? All New HTC One (yeah that wasnt confusing)? I am glad they chose a less confusing name by adding the model M8 to the end of their flagship brand the "HTC One"

Now that we have the name part cleared out, lets discuss the device itself. There are several in-depth reviews available, so I won't go into THAT detail. Instead I will just talk about my thoughts of what HTC did well and where they could improve.

http://static.trustedreviews.com/94/00002b985/8cf1_orh350w620/HTC.jpg

Good:

• HTC kept to its roots and chose a lean UI like the HTC One and HTC Evo 4G. Unlike their competitors, the HTC One devices are very fast and quick to respond. Swiping through the home screens, blink feed and app drawers is just fast.

http://static.androidnext.de/2014/03/htc-one-sense-6-0-port-sixth-sense.jpg

• HTC still has the fastest camera on the block! You can say whatever what you want about the "UltraPixel" concept, or the lack of high mega pixels, their camera's are FAST and they take great pictures. Zoe only adds another flare to the photographer's dream.

http://www.htc.com/managed-assets/shared/desktop/smartphones/htc-one-m8/pdp/image/gallery/main-3.jpg

• HTC listened to their customers and added a microSD card slot to the device. This makes it easy for the user to add more storage, need I say more?
  • HTC also maintained its high quality build and chose to learn from its previous model and made the M8 better looking and polished. It is also quite strong.
  • BlinkFeed returned in this version of the device and continues to entertain and inform its users. They also made it faster and more responsive than before.

http://img.talkandroid.com/uploads/2014/04/HTC_One_M8_BlinkFeed_TA.jpg

• Dot Case... see the image and judge for yourself.

http://androidandme.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/htc-one-m8-dot-view-630x370.jpg http://images.mobilefun.co.uk/graphics/productgalleries/44755/official-htc-one-m8-dot-view-case-black-p44755-a.jpg

Not so good:

• A removable battery is still desire by the users. Maybe next year.
  • Dual camera: I am not sure what this was necessary, but ok.
  • Marketing/education of the customer. HTC still lags behind its competitors in this arena. This isnt a device issue but more of a strategic weakness, but still it impacts device sales.
  • Keep up woth competing features: HTC still is stubborn about including certain features its competitors like Samsung and LG have had for a couple of cycles. Features such as SmartStay on the Samsung which keeps the display on if it notices you are still looking at it, or having some control shortcuts on the notification bar wihtout an extra step. I could list more but this is good for now.

Well I hope this gives you some inclination why you would consider this as your next upgrade. If you do, you will not be disappointed.

Thanks for reading.

-- Your Product Ambassador Team

Note: The images above were linked from various sites using Google Search. Credit is reserved to those individual sites and the authors for their work.

1 Comment

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51hBT2b%2B6PL.jpg  (source)

So, you got your hands on the all new HTC One M8, and are not convinced about the durability of the Gorilla Glass

it comes with. Yes, it's scratch resistant, but we all know that the only indestructable material known to man is

adamantium, so with that in mind, you go on a search to find a screen protector that feels like the glass itself. I am

happy to say that there is no need to search any further.

After doing some research on Amazon, I found the iCarez screen protector.  It had very good reviews from Amazon

users, and the price was great ($3.95)! I got free shipping through Amazon Prime, so I basically received 3 very high

quality screen protectors for less than $4, shipped to me with a two day delivery guarantee.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71V8LrSCT-L._SL1500_.jpg (source)

The instructions were easy to understand, and the installation was a piece of cake. I like go into the bathroom,

turn on the shower, and let the room steam up a bit before installing a screen protector to make sure none of

those random bothersome particles get stuck under it, but even if you completely butcher the installation, you have 2 others

in the packaging to fall back on. The screen protector feels and looks like nothing has been added to the device.

I would recommend this item in a heart beat to anyone looking for a screen protector for their HTC One M8.

You can order one by following this link.

0 Comments

Ever want to put the volume up or change the channel on the television, but the remote control is just an inch too far? Fear not, fellow lazies! The HTC One is here to save the day.

http://buffblogger.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/remote-lazy-gif.gif (source)

Whether you left the remote in the kitchen or you just cannot find it between the cushions, chances are you will have your phone on you. Admit it: you and your phone are inseparable. You probably get separation anxiety just thinking about leaving your phone at home. Well, that attachment will pay off with the all new HTC One M8. Here are the steps needed in order to use your phone as a remote:

1. Open the TV app.
  2. Tap > to select the Room you want to create a remote for.
  3. Tap > Start.
  4. Select the devices you want to control with your remote, and then tap Next.Note: The TV option can't be deselected.
  5. Select the brand of your TV, and then tap Next.
  6. Make sure your TV is off, and then tap Next.
  7. Point HTC One towards the TV and tap the blinking button on the screen.
  8. Tap Yes if HTC One was able to turn on your TV, and then follow the onscreen instructions to continue setting up the other devices.
    • If the TV didn't turn on, tap No. HTC One will try another remote control profile.
    • If a matching remote control profile isn't found, you'll need to manually set up the remote control.

Please note that some cases actually block the transmitter that allows your phone to be used as a remote, so before going to HTC for a warrantty replacement, you may want to try it without the case if it is not working. More steps for customization and troubleshooting (along with the original step by step guide) can be found here.

0 Comments

opening pic.jpg

This week I've had the good fortune of receiving a new case option for my HTC One M8 and wanted to share my thoughts and opinions.   First I want to start off by saying thanks to the folks who head up the Product Ambassador team for the opportunity to get my hands on Spigen's Slim Armor case,  Matt you are a rock star and I greatly appreciate it. The lead off picture to the right is Spigen's One M8 version of their Slim Armor line.   If you classify cases along a linear plot with one end point representing extreme protection and the other slim design I would put the Slim Armor in the middle to slightly skewed toward slim design.  I'll cover the form factor in my thoughts below but the level of protection it provides is much better than other barely there or minimalist options available from various manufactures.

Let's talk about the Protection Tech

The following are a couple of the design features you should know about that Spigen employed in the Slim Armor case.

Air Cushion Corners-  employed on a number of other Spigen cases air cushion tech builds in small pockets of air at the corners of the case to allow for improved impact energy dispersion.  The design allows the absorption of of the impact to be more effectively spread across the entire case reducing the potential for damage at the point of impact.  Corner drops reek havoc on device screens so good to see solutions to address are coming to market.

Two Part Design-   To maximize protection in a slim form fitting design Spigen designed the case in two distinct pieces.   The innards are composed of a web patterned TPU rubber which, coupled with the Air Cushion Corners, provide a quality level of impact protection.   Then to add toughness to boot a hard candy shell, Tommy Boy reference for those of you who appreciate Chris Farley, Spigen covers a good 80% of the midsection and side rails with a tough polycarbonate layer.

What I'm particularly found of

Design the mirrors the Device-  The picture below showing the color options will give you a good illustration of what I'm about to say but nothing substitutes for an in hand view of this case.   Since HTC introduced the One I've reluctantly considered cases because the design quality of the device is one of it's key features.   I found it hard to want to cover up such a well designed and elegant device.   With that said though the shape and form factor of this case is equally impressive.   The design appearance closely mirrors the device, they even designed strips in the case's back panel to mirror the one's employed for antenna reception in the device's back panel.  The cut outs for the camera, led flash, and ports are well done and I actually like the feel of the power button and volume rocker better with the case on. (more pronounced leading to a more confident feel when leveraging either)

Balance of Protect and Added Bulk-   I'm normally a fan of very minimally designed cases as I don't care to add a ton of bulk or hide the design of a device.  With the design philosophy already mentioned I am a fan of the balance of protection/design this case offers.  Don't get me wrong, you are going to feel a difference with the case on but it is no where near the bulk of some of it's leading competitors.  The form fitting design helps to keep the added dimensions from seeming like an an unyielding abundance of additional material.

One Thing to keep in mind

One thing that you will have to sacrifice is the IR blaster functionality, the case doesn't have a cut out to keep from interrupting this feature.   If this is one of the key features that you leverage in a device I would have to say this case isn't right for you.

Color Options

With the two part design comes color options for the polycarbonate shell.    I'm including a picture of the color available at the time I wrote this article, personally I have the black option 2nd from the left but also really like the silver and gun metal options to the immediate right and left as it continues that mirrored design of the device I referenced earlier. 

available+colors.jpg

Definitely a case option to consider when shopping around, I highly recommend the case as it complements the HTC One M8 quite nicely.   If you have any questions don't hesitate to leave them as a comment.

Until Next Time-

Product Ambassador Team

0 Comments

zoe.jpgOver time all good technologies evolve and for good reason, if they didn't they would quickly become a relic of the past in one of the fastest paced industries in the history of mankind.   Zoe was first introduced as a feature on the original HTC One M7 and reappears on this year's One M8 with some slight twists introducing flexibility in key features. 

If you are new to the HTC One line of devices you are probably asking, "What is Zoe?"  The intent of the Zoe feature is to add a live feel to photography by recording a short period of video behind your still photo shots.   Let's take a look at two key features and how they compare between the M7 and M8.

Live Shot

Producing a live shot is the essence behind Zoe, as described above when you take a photo in Zoe mode the feature provides the ability to capture a live image by recording video behind the picture.  Here is a comparison of the functionality between the two models:

HTC One M7-   The OG One's Zoe functionality is very user friendly, in Zoe mode you point, shoot, and your still image plus 3 seconds of video is captured.

HTC One M8-  The new kid on the block, you are welcome for the boy band reference, sports some flexibility with the video capture functionality.  Instead of automatically capturing 3 seconds of video customers have some flexibility in determining the video length.   Instead of tapping the snapshot button users will be be able to press and hold the button to determine the video length.   Record as little as a second or as long as you want, after 3 seconds the camera will go into video mode in which you can take your finger off the photo capture button and let it record until you hit the stop button.  

Live Gallery

So you have taken these cool live photos so now what?   Well go check them out!   The live gallery feature spruces up your photo albums by leveraging the live shots you have taken.

HTC One M7-   When viewing your albums all associated photos will cycle through and for those that are Zoe shots the live aspect of those pictures will be shown as well.

HTC One M8-  Same concept but now enter music!  The main view for each photo album will cycle through all associated photos and play a little ditty while it does it's thing.   The new version also sports some editing features so if you want to change the music and which photos you want cycled through go for it.

The times they are a changing and in this case it is a good thing.  Added flexibility to a very nice camera feature are welcome additions and we're getting indications that there are some more tricks up HTC's sleeve that will be introduced soon.  What will it be?  Well that is another blog post folks, keep your eyes out for a new post as things develop.

Until Next Time-

Product Ambassador Team

0 Comments

Gesture controls are growing as a feature set across multiple devices with the likes of Samsung and LG introducing new and useful ways to interact with their flagship devices.  I want to provide a quick guide on what HTC is offering on the One M8 so you can decide if you would find the functionality useful in your day to day use.

Gesture Controls

The first thing I would like to mention is you have the option to turn on/off the gesture controls, if gestures aren't your cup of tea you can simply turn them off and still enjoy the M8's numerous other features.   You won't be able to have on/off control for each of the functions I list below but you will be able to turn voice dialer on/off individually and turn Gestures in total on/off.  The gesture controls on the One M8 are accessible when the device's screen is dormant, tap or swipe and you are up and running.   Quick note when interacting with the settings and each gesture motion for the first time you will get a pop up window describing the gesture feature and what it initiates.  Example of what you will see:

tutorial+pop+up.png

Gesture Functions

Following is a quick list of the gesture based features at your finger tips:

1.  Double Tap-  no the device didn't go gangster, double tap the screen in portrait orientation to wake it up to the lock screen.

2.  Swipe Left-  swiping left in portrait orientation takes you to what HTC is stating is the widget panel but what I've found is it takes you to the home screen just right of Blinkfeed.  If any of you experience differently let me know.

3.  Swipe Right-   swiping right in portrait orientation launches BleedFeed, HTC's news and social media aggregater.

4.  Swipe Up-  again in portrait orientation swiping up will unlock the device, know if you are using a 3rd party lock screen like Widget Locker it won't bypass but it will bypass the stock lock screen view.

5.  Swipe Down-  if marked active in the gesture settings swiping down will activate voice dialing, simply say the name you want to call and the rest is history.

So there is your quick tutorial on gesture motioning on the HTC One M8.  Feedback out in social media has been mixed, some raising issues with accidental device activity while in the pocket, others expressing concerns over sensitivity.  In my own personal use I've found if I place the device in my pocket screen out I have no issues with pocket activity but you might want to test before leveraging on a normal basis.  Not necessarily a screen based gesture control but listed along with the ones mentioned above you will find the ability to launch your camera with the volume rocker when holding in landscape orientation.  Nice touch when you need to take the quick pic.   Post any questions or feedback you may have about HTC's take on gesture controls.

- Product Ambassador Team

0 Comments

kid.jpg

HTC has pre installed the Kid Mode app on the M8 and the M7, This is a great app for anyone with kids from all ages,  This app when activated will lock them into the kid mode environment where a set of default games and videos for kids are available, you can also add in any games or apps you want them to have access too.   My son has a tablet and this program is on all the time.  I have trained him to launch it right away,  The reason I make him use this app is simple he can’t mess anything up when this app is running, also any game with ad's or in app purchases will get shutdown, it will block them from going outside of the app when an ad is clicked or a purchase is trying to be made.  This way you don't have to worry about something getting installed or a purchase being made you can rest assured kid mode has it covered.  Now the only down side is there is no app to clean the screen from sticky fingers!

Also a very cool feature is you can sign up and it will send you weekly reports on what activity's your kids are doing and if they made a drawing it will send it to you also

Look for the Kid Mode App on your HTC One, you can also install it on other android devices Click Here

km.png

Description

Fun, educational games for kids 8 and under. All your child's favorite Android apps in one place. With our Child Lock feature, kids stay safely in Kid Mode! No more accidental in-app purchases, deleted texts, or confusing ad clicks.

Winner of 10 awards & trusted by millions of kids & parents!

FEATURES:

✓ Fun games & videos customized for every child's age
✓ All your child's favorite apps in one safe place!
✓ Child Lock feature protects your phone & keeps your kids in-app
✓ Kids can't click through on ads or make in-app purchases
✓ An art studio where kids can paint, color, & draw!
✓ Illustrated storybooks that family members can read & record
✓ Video Mail feature lets kids exchange short messages with family
✓ Weekly activity emails on what your kids have been playing & learning
✓ Powerful parental controls w/ optional Premium Membership
✓ Offline Mode

Thanks for reading have a good day!

0 Comments

So I have always been a fan of the Dogfight phone videos.  They pit 2 top phones against each other and show you the different aspects between both.  In this case the HTC One M8 and Galaxy S5 square off against each other.

Samsung Galaxy S5 vs HTC One (M8) Dogfight! - YouTube

0 Comments

At the gym, I sport a set of LG's excellent Tone+ (HBS-730) headphones. They are a great pair of Bluetooth headsets that allow me great mobility without the worry of any cables getting tangled. Sometimes, however, when I need my battery to last a while or when I'm driving around in my "low-tech" car, I need to use the phone's 3.5mm headphone jack.

On the M7, the headphone jack is situated at the top. The M8, however, moved the power button / IR Blaster to where the headphone jack used to be. The headphone jack, on the other hand, was moved to the right side of the bottom of the phone.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/ivanmmj/Sprint%20HTC/IMAG0114.jpg

HTC One M8

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/ivanmmj/Sprint%20HTC/IMAG0135.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/ivanmmj/Sprint%20HTC/IMAG0136.jpg

HTC One M7

At first, I questioned HTC's wisdom, as all my previously owned phones have had the headphone jack on the top. It didn't take very long to realize the reason for HTC's change, though. I realized it as soon as I got into my car and put the phone into my car dock. I plugged in my car's AUX cable and USB charge cable. As both cables where on the same side, I was able to get both cables to point away from me. This may not seem like a big deal to some but to me, it was a godsend. You see, on my M7, like every phone before it, when I placed the phone with the headphone jack pointing to the left (and the USB jack to the right), the AUX cable, being so long, would constantly get pinched by my car's gear shifter as soon as I shifted to Park. (Yes, I wish I had a stick shift, but my love of manual transmissions is a subject for another day.)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/ivanmmj/Sprint%20HTC/IMAG0139.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/ivanmmj/Sprint%20HTC/IMAG0138.jpg

This has caused considerable damage to the cable over the years. Yes, I could just go out and buy a shorter cable, but I wanted to just use what I already owned.

Of course, I could always rotate the phone so that the USB port was on the left and the headphone jack on the right. While this eliminated the cable pinching issue, it caused a different issue. My power cable isn't that long and the shape of my car's dashboard causes the cable to take a longer route than it normally would have to. This lead to the cable putting a lot of stress on the car dock by constantly pulling on that side of the phone.

(Unfortunately, while attempting to take a picture of this setup, the car dock's connection to its suction cup snapped due to the stress of the cable pulling on it. I guess it wasn't going to take it any longer now that it had become accustomed to a phone that didn't have that issue. lol)

With the M8, my car dock wasn't a problem. As you can see from the picture below, both cables had plenty of slack and where out of the way of the gear shifter.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/ivanmmj/Sprint%20HTC/IMAG0115.jpg

Unfortunately, as the car dock broke, I wasn't able to take further pictures to showcase this. At least I know that my next dock will not have to suffer the same fate.

0 Comments

m8_1.jpg (source)

The new 2014 Flagships have started to roll out, and with
that comes the ultimate life changing decision: Which one do I get? The HTC One (M8), arguably the best looking
android phone available, would be a phone you will not regret getting.

m8_2.jpg(source)

A quick rundown of the specs show top of the line hardware:

-Snapdragon 2.3 GHz Quad-Core Processor

-32GB of internal memory (expandable to an impressive 128GB via microSD slot, and free 50GB of Google Drive space for 2 years)

-2600 mAh Lithium Ion Battery

-5” 1080p display

-Bluetooth 4.0

-Metal Unibody Design

-Duo Camera, 1 4 megapixel (UltraPixel) camera, and one 2
megapixel depth sensor camera

The hardware elements, complemented by android 4.4 (Kit Kat)
and the new sense 6.0 make this the absolute best experience ever offered by
any other HTC phone.

m8_3.jpg(source)

If you are like me, you may have been a huge fan of HTC’s design, but never much of a Sense fan.
Rest assured, though, that this phone will make you change your mind. The Sense user interface has been
a staple for HTC since it was introduced back in 2009 on the HTC Hero. It has evolved substantially since then,

and has been streamlined to offer a better (and smoother) experience. Beyond that, since the UI is built on
Android’s Kit Kat, which continued to push towards a more fluid Android experience with project
svelte
, the user experience is more fluid than ever. Combine that with the fastest
response time on any smartphone
, and you have one of the best (if not the best) smartphone experiences available today.
I am a stock android fan, so for me to say that means there has been a
massive shift in the user experience on Sense in a very good way.

m8_4.jpg(source)

Setup was easy, albeit a tad bit long, but it saves work down the road with the HTC transfer tool, setting backup preferences, et
al. After setup is complete, you will notice a couple of home screens by default (customizable in both picking which screen should be the

“home” screen, and expandable for additional screens), and HTC’s blinkfeed. Although my initial instinct was to remove blinkfeed from

the homepages, I gave it a try and was pleasantly surprised. Not only can you set up feeds from your favorite news sources, but you can

add your social media content and not worry about checking multiple apps to keep up with what’s new.

Overall, the phone seems pretty stable. I have had it for several days now without any real issues. No force closes, no hangs, nothing.

My first impressions are generally positive. I had to adapt to the sense UI since I’m coming from a more “vanilla” experience with the Moto X,
but it was an easy adjustment to make. The phone is exquisitely designed, and although it may not be as thin as other phones, the term

"thin" is relative at this point. The phone feels solid, and exudes high quality with the high end materials used.

In short, if you are in the market for a new phone, but have not been fond of the heavy interfaces that some OEMs offer, don’t rule this one
out. Give it a try, and I promise you will not regret it.

You can find a full comprehensive review here:

http://www.theverge.com/2014/3/25/5544642/htc-one-review-m8

Any questions or comments?
Feel free to post them below.