cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Smith-expired!"

Highlighted
Journeyman

"Smith-expired!"

This keeps showing up on my phone. It started 3 days ago.
Anyone know what this is and what do i do with it?

310 REPLIES 310
Highlighted
Master

Ferally,

Currently. we're working with HTC to release a software update, in order to correct the bugs. We definitely appreciate your patience during this time. - Nic,
Sprint Social Care
Highlighted
Journeyman

So today I called Sprint about them discounting our phones because we have been living with this issue for over a month.  After talking with 4 different people they would only give a $20 discount on an account that has 3 of these phones on it.  I am sorry but I guess the new CEO believes in the same "POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE" that sprint has always had. So after being with sprint since 2003 I will be looking for a new provider.  I believe that Sprint should discount everyone with these phones 50% for each phone on there account.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Just out of curiosity, how is this effecting your phone besides popping up with the icon when the device is restarted?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Well if you don't go through the procedure to restart the app.  It will drain the battery, keep popping up all the time, make your WiFi act funny and also you 3g or 4g connection act up.  Sprint keeps saying this is a HTC app it is not a HTC app or the other carriers would also have the issue.  This app is part of the apps and software that Sprint wants on there phones.  Sprint purchased it from "Smith Micro Software" to use on the Sprint Network.  Sprint is passing buck on this one.  On one of my friends phones he rooted it then removed the app and all other Sprint software there was. It night and day difference in the speed and performance of his phone compared to mine running Quadrant Standard Edition.

Highlighted
Master

kacowboy71, Sorry for the issues that have occurred with your software on your devices. This is a very long thread isn't it. Have you tried this www.androidsecuritytest.com? There is a post on the 3rd page from z0sense_tx. They say that their issue was resolved. I do not see that anyone else has commented on this. Have you given this a try? Let me know, please. Thank you.

- Sheila
Sprint Social Care
Highlighted
Journeyman

That's funny that you say this issue has been resolved... I am still experiencing this issue Haas I have origionally posted a month ago. This is becoming a frustrating issue... I know I will never get another HTC device

Highlighted
Master

GiNGERSNAPSSS,

Thank you for your input.
- Eric
Sprint Social Care
Highlighted
Journeyman

Yup. Still annoyed with it showing up and still no resolution. They told me to update my profile and it'd fix the problem....yeah profile and everything else is up to date.

Highlighted
Master

Hi, tigerluvr45

I cannot find documentation that a permanent fix was released, but i did find steps to a temporary solution. If you haven't see these, please follow these steps:

1. Open the Smith Logging Tool, either by tapping on the "Click here to open" in the notification or via the Phone Dialer by pressing *#*#SMITH#*#* (*#*#76484#*#*).
2. Turn off any of the three logging tools that may be on.
3. Turn off Fast boot (under Settings > Power), then power cycle and wipe the cache partition.
4. Go to Settings > Apps > All > Smith and Clear data, Force stop, then Clear defaults.
Note: Clear defaults may be greyed out.
5. Tap the Back key to return to the Apps > All list and tap QXDM2SD, then Clear data, Force stop, and Clear defaults.

If a device is power cycled,! then the SMITH application will automatically restart and the notification will return. Repeating steps 4 and 5 will once again temporarily remove the icon from the notification list.

- Robin W
Sprint Social Care
Highlighted
Master

Shjchica1984 - Please follow these steps: 1. Open the Smith Logging Tool, either by tapping on the "Click here to open" in the notification or via the Phone Dialer by pressing *#*#SMITH#*#* (*#*#76484#*#*). 2. Turn off any of the three logging tools that may be on. 3. Turn off Fast boot (under Settings > Power), then power cycle and wipe the cache partition. 4. Go to Settings > Apps > All > Smith and Clear data, Force stop, then Clear defaults. Note: Clear defaults may be greyed out. 5. Tap the Back key to return to the Apps > All list and tap QXDM2SD, then Clear data, Force stop, and Clear defaults. If a device is power cycled, then the SMITH application will automatically restart and the notification will return. - David S
Sprint Social Care
Highlighted
Journeyman

I have! I am just getting annoyed with having to repeat the steps to clear it! I mean sure I can clear all notifications from my drop down menu, but power cycle and it's there again! Why should we as customers have to keep making the temporary fixes on our M7 when it should be something you guys and HTC should be partnering with for a permanent fix?

Highlighted
Journeyman

This is an updated version of htclogger app as the moderator stated earlier. It does show up in the apps list under "all" or "running" but not under "installed". It loads on boot and it is expired because a programmer got the permissions dates wrong. The only way to work around "not a fix" is to force close it after each reboot. HTC is aware and working on a software fix from the response I received from support... As I sit here holding my breath (sarcasm intended)

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat