cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Smith-expired!"

Highlighted
Journeyman

"Smith-expired!"

This keeps showing up on my phone. It started 3 days ago.
Anyone know what this is and what do i do with it?

310 REPLIES 310
Highlighted
Journeyman

Only got my Sprint HTC one thru work about a month ago. 

After every reboot, i get a status bar notice about this app.

That notification takes me to the "Smith - expired!" screenshot on this thread.

It's funny, but everytime i see it, i think, "Work phone. That's the Matrix's Mr. Smtih.apk."

Highlighted
Master

IggyNelix,

As a temporary fix for the SMITH notification, complete the following steps:

1. Open the Smith Logging Tool, either by tapping on the "Click here to open" in the notification or via the Phone Dialer by pressing *#*#SMITH#*#* (*#*#76484#*#*).
2. Turn off any of the three logging tools that may be on.
3. Turn off Fast boot (under Settings > Power), then power cycle and wipe the cache partition.
4. Go to Settings > Apps > All > Smith and Clear data, Force stop, then Clear defaults.
Note: Clear defaults may be greyed out.
5. Tap the Back key to return to the Apps > All list and tap QXDM2SD, then Clear data, Force stop, and Clear defaults.

If a device is power cycled, then the SMITH application will automatically restart and the notification will return. Repeating steps 4 and 5 will once again temporarily remove the icon from the notification list.

*Liz
Sprint Social Care
Highlighted
Journeyman

And the beat goes on, yeah, the beat goes on...

I think by the time I see a fix for this, my contract will be up and I can move on to another provider.

Highlighted
Master

HD_RIder_in_Kansas, I definitely wouldn't want to see you go. Did you try those steps? Please let me know. - Dillon
Sprint Social Care
Highlighted
Journeyman

Hi Team,

do we have any update on this on either Sprint or HTC??? We've had this issue for so long. How long does a ticket need to be created to your IT TEAMS, Developer Teams, or whoever Team it's supposed to be forwarded to, to create a PERMANENT FIX for this.

I feel that both HTC and SPRINT are just waiting for one another to do it. I feel bad that we have to go through these steps that you keep posting that you are asking to do everytime we get the issue.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Dillon,

Are you actually kidding me?  Of course I've done the steps, but that is not a permanent fix for this issue as "Smith" comes back every time the phone is rebooted.

And to add to Ray's statement above, I think it's absolutely horrible that this issue has gone on as long as it has with no permanent fix on the horizon.  I myself work in IT and a problem such as this, going on for as long as it has, simply would not be tolerated.

The longer this issue goes on, the more sure I am of my decision to leave Sprint for another cello phone provider.

FIX IT ALREADY!

Highlighted
Master

HD_RIder_in_Kansas

HTC is working diligently to release an update pertinent to this issue. Thanks for your patience.

Regards,

Pamela
Sprint Social Care
Highlighted
Master

CB1300_Ray, I know that this is frustrating and I apologize for the inconvenience. I'm sorry to hear you are still having problems. This is not the experience we want you to have. HTC is aware of the issue and is working on a permanent fix in an upcoming maintenance release.

- Jeffery
Sprint Social Care
Highlighted
Journeyman

Ok it has been over a month with this problem on my phone. My husband has the exact same phone that he got on the exact same day as mine but he does not have this problem. Ever since this appeared on my phone I have been unable to receive texts or calls from any HTC phone including my husband. He has to email me to contact me. So I have gone over a month without full service. I am getting tired of this.

Highlighted
Master

janbanan2029,

The error does not affect the service on the device. It is just a pop up that happens once in a while. HTC is aware of the issue and working to address it in a future service update release. If you are having service issues with your device I advise taking the device into a service location. You can find one near you here http://bit.ly/1bfD15Y.

- Patrick
Sprint Social Care
Highlighted
Journeyman

Made sprint give me a iPhone 5c for free and 60$credit htc is crap they will not fix this and it does effect data talk and apps had over 20 drop call in 10 minutes!!!!! It's htcs problem but why is sprint selling defective phone? Huh ? Now they offer a tem solution when people that ultimate data talk and text 91$ a month high price for service and they think it is ok they have May bad reviews form custermors guess they only care about the money and don't care if u can only use half the service cause of the defective phone sprint u are sorry son of a btch

Highlighted
Journeyman

You people are blowing up my email with senseless bullshit.  The error will be fixed when HTC fixes it.  You say that Sprint is money hungry, but all I hear is you trying to get free stuff from them.  The error does not effect the phone in any way except for a pop up when the phone is rebooted.  Nobody cares if you work for an IT company or for the military - you're just annoying Sprint to get free phones for an illegitimate reason.  If you're going to write some long drawn out complaint, at least use spell check and proper grammar. 

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat