cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cache/Partition wipe. has anyone been able to actually pull this off?

GrandMaster

Cache/Partition wipe. has anyone been able to actually pull this off?

i have tried multiple times and no go..i get to a black screen with a phone overlayed with a red triangle then nothing..right before that it should kick me over to the final options but never does..anyone else attempted this? and what were your results?

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
16 REPLIES 16
Master

Re: Cache/Partition wipe. has anyone been able to actually pull this off?

Yeah, it sounds like the right screen, similar to what the M8 shows. But from previous conversations, pressing and holding both the Power Button and Volume Up button at the same time does not result in the Recovery screen as it did with the M8, which is strange.

So if someone with an M9 has done this, chime in. I only have the M8 so unable to really test it. Fireguy has the M9, but from what he's tried, has not been able to get there.

--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.
GrandMaster

2 of us have ran into this but im not to sure if it was able to happen prior to LP coming out or not..im actually leaning towards it having been changed up with LP since i could have sworn i came across someone that did the partition wipe on not long after the phone was first released.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

Yes I've done it successfully

Search google, how to wipe cache on HTC m9

Or

https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-20857

Wipe cache partition

If the phone is not working correctly, you may need to master reset it and also clear the cache partition. These two resets clear different parts of the phone storage. Unlike a master reset, wiping the cache partition does not delete your personal data.

To wipe the cache partition, follow these steps:

Be sure the phone is off.

Press and hold the Volume Down key.

Turn the phone on by pressing the Power key until the phone vibrates, then release Power.

Continue holding the Volume Down key.

Release the Volume Down key when the black screen with red and blue lines of text appears.

Download mode.jpg

Press Volume Down two times to highlight reboot to bootloader.

Press the Power key to select reboot to bootloader.

When the white bootloader screen appears, press the Volume Down key three times to highlight BOOT TO RECOVERY MODE.

Bootloader.jpg

Press the Power key to select BOOT TO RECOVERY MODE.

Wait up to 2 minutes for another black screen with red and blue text to appear.

Note: If a device with a red triangle and exclamation point appears, Hold Power while pressing and releasing Volume Up to continue.

Red triangle.png

Press Volume Down three times to highlight wipe cache partition.

Wipe cache partition.jpg

Press the Power key to select wipe cache partition.

Once complete, press the Power key again to select reboot system now.

Master

fireguy_6364  Have a chance to verify this yet?

--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.
Journeyman

I actually did this last week. So I know it works

GrandMaster

yeah i did it a couple weeks ago. same steps. sad that the only way one can figure out that something was changed up steps wise was by 3rd party sources lol. but yes it works. the power button then volume up is the trick once youre at that black screen with the triangle.

Journeyman

Thanks for the instructions.  Did a factory reset just now hoping it would fix my M9s infinite reboot issue.  Alas, I seem to own a $600 brick!   Yay protection plan! **off to the store I go**

GrandMaster

after the FR did you load all your apps back onto the phone or keep it stock for a while to test it?

GrandMaster

also the instructions that were posted above were for a partition wipe...not a factory reset. not sure on which you did at this point. if you did in fact do the partition wipe then i recommend backing everything up and doing the full reset that wipes everything from your phone..then before putting any apps back onto it test it for a bit to see if the bootloop continues or not.

GrandMaster

actually you can do a test against apps being the possible cause by switching your phone into safe mode..same method as when you jumped into the boot loader. if the boot loops stop then it was caused by a messed up app conflicting with something else in the phone..if it still happens in safe mode then the next step would be to do the full Factory Reset.

Journeyman

Thanks for the replies and tips, but my phone is bricked. Not from custom rooting or the like, just a dud I guess. Was plugging along for a year or so, no issues, literally surprised at how solid the m9 was, and then my Dot View case stopped waking the display. So I just did a soft restart... then right away the m9 went to the restart loop issue. Startup vibrate, white HTC logo screen, wait, drops to blank display, repeat. Did that for half hour before I did the hard power off in the bootloader menu.

Tried a few more times, charged to full, let it cool to cold, start.... Same loop.

So with nothing to lose I did cache delete first (also bootloader menu). Power off, restart.... Same.

Did again, but now factory reset.  NOPE.

Took to a local Sprint store today, company store with service techs, and they confirmed it's a paperweight. I do have the service/insurance so it's being replaced. Not in stock, have to go back later.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat