cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HTC M9 Can't access Google Play store

Go to solution
Journeyman

HTC M9 Can't access Google Play store

Received my M9 yesterday and activated.  Tried to go to the Play store to download my apps and receive an error accessing the servers.

Spent an hour with tech support at Sprint troubleshooting to no avail.  The Sprint rep did find a resource from Google concerning this issue with a phone number.  He conferenced in the Google Tech as we continued troubleshooting.  After trying everything with the Google rep, he informed me that the phone would need to be reflashed and gave me the contact information for HTC to accomplish this.  I was told by Sprint, Google, and HTC that every troubleshooting option had been exhausted and in fact a re-flash was required.

De-activated the M9 and re-activated my M8 until I could re-flash.

HTC is unable to reflash the phone because the files are not available yet.  I was told that there was no way to provide notice when they would be available and one day I will turn the phone on and it will work.  Really?  Why would I provision a phone that is unable to download any of the apps I use on a daily basis for business.  It is a brick that can make calls text and email.  Beyond that.... worthless until update files become available for a re-flash of the system software.

Anybody else seeing this problem or is this an isolated incident?

Long time HTC fan.... sadly disappointed!

19 REPLIES 19
Journeyman

Re: HTC M9 Can't access Google Play store

Yes, just activated new phone and it is doing just that, error message in google play store.

Journeyman

Yes, same here. I got the phone yesterday and Google Play Store returns the now infamous "Error retrieving information from server. [DF-DFERH-01]" with the Retry button that does nothing.

HOWEVER, when I activated the phone, I installed HTC Transfer Tool on my old HTC One M7 (using its WiFi connection) and used that to transfer all of my data and apps to my new HTC One M9. So my M9 looks just like my M7, complete with apps. (Oh, by the way, my text messages and call history did NOT transfer even though the HTC Transfer Tool said they did successfully. Different issue.)

If it weren't for the HTC Transfer Tool, I'd only have out-of-the-box apps on the M9 and it'd pretty much be worthless to me for everything I do with my phone.

Journeyman

I'm finding that even though my apps transferred, a lot of them don't work. It seems that in order to open and work properly, they have to consult with the play store first, maybe to see if an update is available. I'm headed to the sprint store this morning.

Journeyman

Hello Melodie,

Please let us know Sprint's response.  HTC told me flat out that they would not replace the phone for this issue.

I will be trying Sprint customer service today.

Thanks

Journeyman

Hi guys.. I recently purchased an m9  earlier this week.  I had that exact problem when I first booted up the phone. This is what I did to fix it.  I cleared google play store data and cache. Then uninstall the play store then reboot. Then power back on and it should reinstall the play store. That fixed my problem.

Journeyman

itzmenny.... Good Call

In all of the hours with tech support we never tried uninstalling.  So detailed steps I took:

1) Go to app manager

2) Select Google Play Store

3) Clear Cache

4) Clear Data

5) Uninstall updates

6) Power Cycle

This appears to have solved the problem

Journeyman

Okay, went to the sprint store. the sales rep there hadn't even seen an m9 yet. They have none in the store. Mine was the first that he had touched. Anyway, after a long look he took my phone to the back to try to figure it out. When he came back he told me that he powered off the phone, took out the sim card, powered it back on, and then  re installed the sim card. When he came back out it was working fine. He told me that the sim card may be bad, or going bad. They didn't have any new sim cards there for this phone yet, however. So, maybe a bad batch of sim cards going out? Who, knows, but that was at about 9 this morning, it is now 5:45pm and it has been working fine all day. I hope this helps.

Journeyman

I had this same problem with the same error: DF-DFERH-01.  I was able to solve it.  The only thing that fixed this error was to reset the device from recovery. Resetting the device from the phone menus was not enough.

1) Boot the device to recovery using the volume down and power buttons: http://www.theandroidsoul.com/how-to-boot-into-htc-one-m9-recovery-mode-74905/

2) Once in recovery, clear the cache.

3) Reset the phone from recovery.

That fixed it for me.

Journeyman

Hi all,

I'm an employee at Sprint and I also have this device.  I experienced this a couple days ago.  Itzmenny's suggestion to clear the Play Store app data worked for me.  I went to Settings>Apps and selected Google Play Store then selected Clear data and I have not had it happen to me since.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I got my m9 yesterday, and activated it, but I couldn't figure out why I was getting the error message. Glad I googled it tonight. I hadn't thought to come to the message boards, lol. So I just tried Itzmenny's solution, and Google play is on my phone. Thank goodness for the HTC transfer tool, it transferred everything.

Journeyman

Wow, everything transferred for me, including call history and text message history.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat