cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

StageFright

GrandMaster

StageFright

was released as of yesterday. so for those of you that are needing it and have yet to see it i recommend manually checking. it does contain a few bug fixes and enhancements.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
20 REPLIES 20
Journeyman

Re: StageFright

I tried several times to install this update. Downloaded fine, started to update with a green circle and down arrow and about 1/4 of the way through, Red diamond with an exclamation point, sits there for some minutes, reboots with no rom update. Tech Expert no help, as usual. Wiped the phone and did it again with the same result. any assistance would be helpful!!!

GrandMaster

youre phone isnt rooted by chance is it? and are you doing this over wfi or with the phones mobile data?

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

No, phone isn't rooted and I'm using Wi-Fi. Can anyone help?

GrandMaster

wiped the phone as in you did a factory reset on it? im drawing a blank on what youre seeing. im going to link someone else in here that might know or has some contacts that might know whats up

MROGRS

Journeyman

I'll screenshot it if I can.

Journeyman

IMAG00821.jpgIMAG0083.jpg

Journeyman

Like I said, I download the update, install it, everything goes fine and about where you see the green progress line, BOOM, red triangle and no updated phone!

I have had the same issue on my device as well and read that the patch on AT&T is doing the same thing. I have contacted HTC due to usually having better tech support than Sprint & was told to do a factory reset after the usual script read troubleshooting Sprint usually does. The thing is that when the last update came and it was a big one. It actually turned my phone into a brick and HTC had to walk me through sideloading the software back via PC. This of course resulted in resetting my phone. After doing this proceedure I also decided to factory reset manually again before restoring my phone back. Now after 6 weeks I have to do another factory reset for a patch? I read that others on Sprint and AT&T are having the same issues on other android websites. It has something to do with the system becoming mounted read/write instead of read only and gives an error 7. This I read indicated that the phone has been unlocked and/or rooted. I have never rooted or unlocked any of my phones. My M7 has had multiple updates including the stagefright patch and I have never had to do a reset on that particular phone. For arguments sake I am worried if I reset and can update followed by another restore will I be doing this every time an update goes through? Assuming this even works because as this original post claims and other M9 owners on Sprint as well as other M9's on other networks are claiming it won't work. Anyways I have decided to hold off for the first time on updating my phone. This is my first time I have ever not updated through 5 HTC android phones and it's such a huge vulnerability to not patch. I will update when the next update comes and unfortunately if that doesn't install I will try a factory reset then. Just out of curriosity you should hold your power button down and press the volume up button on your next attempted install (@ the phone with explanation red mark screen). Wounder if the log you will see will say the same thing mine as well as others see.

Journeyman

That is EXACTLY the issue Mark! I have done 2 factory resets, 1 with restoring data and 1 with setting up the phone as new, and neither helped the update issue. I booted into download and bootloader modes and they both say locked but that does necessarily mean anything. Please update me if you get any pertinent info as how to fix this. And I agree, Stagefright is a huge vulnerability not to patch so I'm anxious to get this resolved.

Journeyman

P.S. I also sideloaded 651.11 thru HTC sync because I was having issues. My husband has a M9 and hasn't had any issues with his phone and has never used HTC Sync and downloaded 651.19 and installed it with no issues whatsoever. Food for thought.

Kathy

Sounds exactly like the same issue(s) I have had. I will post if I find anything but I'm not going to do another reset due to Android M probably coming on the M9 in a few months. I've read in the past when a new version comes on Android it's usually good practice to start with a factory reset anyways. During this time I will piece by piece start preparing for the reset that I will do either way. Maybe Sprint &/or HTC will get their act together and release a update that actually works. After all we are talking about a patch. There is no way I have modified the software on my phone in anyway. I keep downloads to a bare minimum. Also due to previous update issues and two resetd my phone is still for a lack of better words a virgin. As you stated a reset did not help you and I don't believe it will help me. So I will avoid all that wasted time and aggravation for a simple patch. Let me know if you hear anything. I'm worried this may be a hardware issue though. This behavior is new to me and it's my 7th HTC or 5th Android.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat