cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HTC Bolt Display Screen Half Black Broken

Go to solution
Journeyman

Re: HTC Bolt Display Screen Half Black Broken

After being escalated to the Sprint Executive Office I am pleased to say this has been resolved for my wife and I (mostly) to our satisfaction. My wife's Bolt died even harder than mine did. After mine came back from HTC service (took around 10 days) it was good, but who knows for how long. We were assisted into LG G5 phones for a slight increase in monthly payment. There was another fiasco with Telesales and our bank, but we received some compensation and apology for that as well.

We are staying with Sprint, at least for now, and the LG G5 seems like a great phone so far (and I like it more than the Bolt). Moral of the story is if you do not have physical damage and the Social Care folks hook you up with Escalations you can probably get satisfaction. I will say it was a very frustrating experience and all told I think I lost at least 24 hours of my life to it, but water under the bridge for now.

Journeyman

We are more than happy to hear that! Feel free to reach us in case you need our assistance. 

Caro
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

Been to sprint store twice (2 different) and talked to sprint online but they said there is nothing they can do and suggest sending to manufacture.  It is a Sprint exclusive phone and being paid in installments to Sprint but they don't want to deal with it anymore for those of us unlucky enough to hold out hope for the phone longer.  Brother went through two of them and he got s7 because his died faster. Customers since 1999 but this might be it.   Thinking of contacting  BBB.  At least there should be a recall acknowledgement with all the issues. 

Sprint Social Care

joeyrick, we appreciate you're being with us since 1999 and we understand having this issue can be a hassle. Allow us to determine the options available to resolve your issue. I sent you a Private Message requesting more information, please respond as soon as you become available.

Carlos
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

On my 3rd HTC Bolt. And to my astonishing surprise it has died on me yet again. Please for anyone reading this, DO NOT get an HTC Bolt. It WILL die on you. Cause if I don't my only option is to go to the store and be without a phone for about two weeks for them to acknowledge that the HTC Bolt has an issue. Which I really don't understand because literally everyone who has owned one seems to have an issue with it.

Carlos if there is anything you can do to help expedite this process I would appreciate it.

Sprint Social Care

Hey exitnext! Unfortunately, we are unable to expedite the process. This pretty much depends on the Warehouse and the store. Once again, sorry for the inconvenience that you have gone thru.

Jeffrey
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

Over the past 6 months Sprint Social Care's response to this issue as a whole has offered very little resolution. Unfortunately, Sprint's social care is bound by Sprint's official policy and they are very limited in what they can do to help.  Also at the store level, there is often misinterpretation of Sprint policies.

The following article is written through a collaboration of affected Sprint users.  The end section summarizes what options are available to resolve the issue.  

Common mistakes that Sprint stores are making:

1) Stores misdiagnose this condition as physical damage.

2) Stores apply inappropriate deductible fees when utilizing one of Sprint's protection plans.  (In no case should a deductible apply to repair solely the screen defect.)

The insurance replacement deductibles apply to approved claims for loss, theft, and physical or liquid damage. The repair deductibles listed above apply to approved claims for eligible devices and certain types of damage.
(Take note that deductibles do not apply to warranty claims.)

3) If a user does not have a Sprint protection plan, stores try to upsell costly repairs instead of following warranty process. (see 2-B below in the What Sprint users can do section)

Common mistakes Sprint users are making:

1) Users don't follow the appropriate process to get their phone repaired. Steps may vary depending on whether a user has purchased a protection plan from Sprint or has opted for entirely no insurance.

2) Users confuse the HTC warranty with HTC UH OH Protection. The HTC protection plan is never applicable to Sprint phones.  HTC does not offer the HTC Uh Oh Protection plan for the HTC Bolt. Sprint sells 3 different protection plans directly to its users.  HTC provides a one year warranty for the HTC bolt phone.

3) Users that don't have Sprint Protection plans, try to claim benefits through Sprint.  (see 2-B below in the What Sprint users can do section)

3) Users assume that the information provided to them at various points of contact with Sprint is always 100% accurate.  (In many cases Sprint Representatives misinterpret policy, or offer flawed advice.)

What Sprint users can do

1)  If you are Sprint user that is within the 14-day window of return, immediately return the phone and choose another model. Unfortunately, with this option, you will be responsible for the cost difference of your new phone. If a particularly good promotion was applied to your original purchase, then the difference may be significant.  In this case it may be worth trying to call Sprint and asking them to add ERSP to that line. If they refuse ask to speak to a supervisor. Tell the supervisor that you purchased the phone less than 14 days ago and were unable to add ERSP at the time of purchase. Once you have added ERSP to the line you should be able to go into any Sprint corporate repair store and get the phone replaced with another model.

2) If you are a Sprint user that is outside the 14-day window of return, then you must follow one of the below processes to resolve your issue.

A) If you have a Sprint protection plan, such as TEP, ESRP or ERP than you can follow the terms of your plan to get your phone replaced.  Be careful that your phone is not misdiagnosed for physical damage as a deductible will apply if your phone is deemed to have physical damage.

B) If you are a user that opted for entirely no insurance from Sprint then you only have one option.
You must deal directly with HTC warranty support.

Sprint itself no longer provides free warranty service, however the HTC BOLT still comes with a one year warranty and is covered directly by HTC. When obtaining warranty service call or chat with HTC support.  You will have to pay shipping to return the phone to HTC unless you are able to convince the call center supervisor otherwise. 

Phone: United States English 1-866-449-8358 09:00AM - 10:00PM Eastern Time
Phone: Estados Unidos Español 1-866-963-0960 09:00 - 21:00 Hora del Este
Chat: http://www.htc.com/us/contact/chat/
E-Mail: http://www.htc.com/us/contact/email/

The team is based in India and coordinates the return of the phone to a repair facility in Texas. There is little communication between the team in India and Texas, so while your phone is being repaired status updates will be slim to non-existent. It may take up to a month to receive your phone back.

Steps to avoid frustration and wasted time.
Use the following script:

"I have an HTC bolt that experiencing screen issues and unresponsive black screens.  I have already done some basic troubleshooting and placed the phone in safe mode, as well as doing a factory reset.  The screen problems still occur in safe mode and after the factory reset.  In addition the screen problems occur doing boot.  I believe I am experiencing a hardware issue. "

From there the HTC call center should let you send your phone in for repair. If they insist on wasting time trying to identify if it is a hardware issue, describe the screen problems again and emphasize that it is a hardware issue.  At this point, if the representative asks you to pay for shipping, you may ask for a supervisor if you wish to try and get the shipping covered.

In any case, HTC will take a long time to process the phone, so be sure to call regularly and ask for an escalation supervisor if it goes beyond two weeks.  

Journeyman

I just got this phone in December, 2016.  I would like to have it replaced or return this phone and get a different one if possible.

Journeyman

What issues are you experiencing?  Did you purchase a Sprint protection plan?      

Journeyman

I have sprint insurance and this is my 3rd HTC Bolt that has had the screen problems. They last barely a month before they break down.

I need to replace it with a different phone, what are my replacement options at the Sprint store at no additional cost? Also what do I need to say at the Sprint store to avoid having to wait 2 weeks for them to diagnose a problem that everyone already knows about.

GrandMaster

were they replaced through HTC or through a corporate Sprint repair store?
I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

All my previous HTC Bolts were replaced at the Sprint Store. The last time I went I had the option to replace with another phone on that date, but I literally had to argue with the store manager for an hour to be able to do that. And all the replacement options were not comparable to the HTC Bolt. They convinced me to just walk out with another HTC Bolt. A big mistake cause within a month it broke down yet again.

What do I need to do to replace my HTC Bolt with a new Samsung at no cost?

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat