cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HTC Bolt Display Screen Half Black Broken

Go to solution
Journeyman

Re: HTC Bolt Display Screen Half Black Broken

HTC just refers me back to sprint, or tells me to make a claim on my insurance. I have a feeling that there will be a recall on these phones before it's all said and done. Sprint is well aware of this issue but continue to sell the phone.
Master

I wonder if this would fall under the HTC Uh Oh Protection.
I see above someone said they contacted HTC, but was referred back to Sprint. Geert a hold of their Uh Oh Protection warranty group, see what they say.

--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.
GrandMaster

and the Sprint store you are dealing with is a Sprint Corporate repair store or 3rd party?
I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

I have been to a corporate store, and even went as far as having several conversations with retentions. They are all aware of the issue with the phone. HTC wantsus to send the phone back in so they can be repaired, which takes at least 2 weeks, they will not send a different device if you purchased it from sprint.
Master

Unfortunately, that's actually how most warranties work. It's not unreasonable that HTC would want you to send the phone so they can repair and or replace it. Hopefully you have a backup phone you can activate in the meantime, otherwise if you want it repaired through warranty, you have to send it to HTC.

Your other recourse, is to go through your insurance. But that one will cost you money as you have to file a claim.

--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.
Journeyman

I started having the same issue a few days ago.  There is a way to restore the phone. Just press and hold the screen just to the left of the volume control buttons, push the power button and wait until the icon lights on the lower part go out. Push the power button again, and most of the time the screen comes back fine. Sometimes it takes a few tries though.

That being said, the fact that Sprint won't address this issue is ridiculous.  I took my phone to a Sprint repair center today and they looked at it for 1.5 minutes and told me to contact HTC.  

I didn't buy the phone from HTC, I brought it from Sprint.  I expect the retailer to stand behind the products they carry.  If it had been a reasonably long period of time, I might accept Sprint referring me to HTC, but I've had the phone less than two months.

I've been with Sprint for over 15 years, I've always had any issue addressed immediately.  This recent behavior by them has left a bad taste in mouth and I'll be leaving Sprint shortly.  This is horrible customer service.

Journeyman

It's a pain! Mine blacks out completely and freezes the screen. Two new phones in less than 60 days. They need to recall it.
Master

Keep in mind, while a recall would be great, it has to come from the manufacturer. I would suggest, every single time you, and everyone else using this phone, have an issue that you contact HTC at the following. The more people that report issues, the more likely something will happen. But In the case of Sprint, all they can do is keep replacing it as they aren't the manufacturer.

They have both an email link and a Live Chat where you can explain the problem. 

http://www.htc.com/us/contact/chat/

--

Journeyman

I've contacted HTC, and they suggest that I either send the phone back to them, and wait for 7-10 days, or approach Sprint for a replacement.  

Again I ask, Why is Sprint not standing behind this product?  This is a "Sprint Exclusive" device that seems to be fundamentally flawed. It would seem that they might want to make sure that any problem s with their device is addressed. Instead, at least in my case, they are deflecting the issue.

Master

Those are pretty much your options, send the phone back to HTC where they can actually fix the problem or get a replacement from Sprint. It may be exclusive to Sprint, but keep in mind, they didn't design it, all they did is buy the rights to the device for a period of time so other carriers can't sell it. It's still an HTC phone in the end.

--

Journeyman

Im experiencing the same issue here, must be a design flaw. Called HTC and Sprint. HTC rep claimed they were not aware of issue. First Sprint rep advised me she was aware of issue and call was disconnected after putting me on hold. First Sprint tech support claims he wasnt aware of issue and provided a solution: pay off remaining phone balance of $500. Seriously? I just got this phone! Second tech in OK City stated he had heard of the issue. Stated they would send me a new Bolt but had no record of this in system. Please call and complain directly yo Sprint as HTC claims they dont know of issue, which means they obviously dont have a fix.
Journeyman

Purchased the HTC Bolt 23 Nov 2016, less then 30 days the screen blacked out. I did not drop it or did it get into any water. Went to a Sprint Store and got it replaced with another HTC Bolt. Round 2 and less then 30 days- Half the screen went black. Today went to Sprint store and with my insurance plan will get another phone in the mail. Was told by the store manager if it happens again will switch out the phone with another Brand, may go back to LG.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat