cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Simple, but important questions - thinking about switching to HTC One

Go to solution
Sprint Product Ambassador

Re: Simple, but important questions - thinking about switching to HTC One

I've brought this "deathgrip" issue back to our launch team. We can replicate what we think our customers are experiencing, at least visually. But "under the hood" there doesn't appear to be the concern we originally thought. Here's what I mean.

The "signal bars" that people see on the top status bar are a general indication of voice radio (1xRTT) signal strength relative to output power. The "bars" have nothing to do with data radios, 3G (EvDO) or 4G (LTE in this case). Yes, there seems to be a correlation of how one holds the metal chassis to how the device system interprets signal strength through the 'bars' graphical UI. What happens behind the scenes is different. When we enter our devices into debug mode (##DEBUG#) and check voice radio signal strength we see a change of less than 10 percent relative to pre-deathgrip status. So, yes, the signal strength does change, but not enough to cause any calls to drop relative to device grip. In other words, if you're in a bad coverage area there's no magic here. If you're in a decent to good to great reception area, the "deathgrip" won't impact call quality and we've not seen anything that leads us to believe data throughput is effected.

However, we ARE going to still raise this issue back to the device update team and HTC. Hopefully they will fix the output UI (bars) to match what's really happening to your signal and call quality. Customer experience is still important. Thank you SO much for reporting this and providing the link and helping us understand your concerns. I will post more here as I learn of related issues, concerns or updates.

Have an awesome day!

Sprint Product Ambassador and Sprint employee --

All opinions and views are my own. But I'm usually pretty funny and totally on point because I'm humorous and a smart guy, not just a pretty face.
Journeyman

Thanks so much for your research and sharing your findings!

Journeyman

I too am concerned with this..I've tried multiple HTC Ones and have the same results with each one of them..The Dbm drop is -20+...I can go from -86 to -106 simply by holding the phone in my left hand making contact with the bottom left corner of the phone...Also my 4G connection keeps falling back to 3G Simply by touching the phone..Example:If my phone is in the car dock it will hold 4G.As soon as I remove from car dock 4G will drop to 3G in "fringe" Coverage areas....Well it's a fringe area and that's why its acting that way you might say but My Galaxy Note II will not drop to 3G in these same areas,same goes for my wifes GS3...What I need to know is can this be fixed with updates or is it just the nature of the beast with a metal phone..Lots of people are having issues with this and I can provide links if you need.

Journeyman

I have had my HTC One for just under a month now. I have yet to see it ever move to 4G status since owning it. Also, the HTC One is very buggy. Lots of OS issues are happening with the phone that have made it somewhat of a regretful purchase for me. I actually switched from Verizon to Sprint in order to get this phone and have not been to happy I made the switch. My advice, avoid the HTC One M7 and go with the Galaxy S4. I sure wish I had.

The whole metal phone case is nice looking, but, we all put our phones in protective cases so please do not make your phone decision based on that alone. I would suggest the Samsung Galaxy S4 for sure.

GrandMaster

i already picked up the S4 and will be swapping it out for the One today..the lag on the S4 is horrible along with a list of things i have ran into with it so far that im really not liking..to each their own really...but i will soon see how the One compares against the S4

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Sprint Product Ambassador

Can you be more specific about how or why the One is "very buggy" and "Lots of OS issues" please? Your concerns are important to we Sprint employees and we need more details in order to go back to our device teams for MR update requests.

We've been using the One for a few weeks before public launch, and while it's not perfect (no device is), it's far from very buggy and lots of OS issues. I've carried more than 2 doz smartphones over the last 15 months from all manufacturers and I think the One is one of the most polished, well vetted devices on the market.

The HTC One CDMA version is the exact same device on VZW and Sprint, so not sure how that's relevant. Not all devices will appeal to all people, which is why all carriers offer a large number of devices.

Sprint Product Ambassador and Sprint employee --

All opinions and views are my own. But I'm usually pretty funny and totally on point because I'm humorous and a smart guy, not just a pretty face.
Journeyman

HTC One buggy?

My coworker has had one for 3 weeks now and sings nothing but praises of it.  This coworker is a tech junkie too and in the last 6 months gone through an iPhone 5, Lumia 900, and a LG Optimus G. 

He claims the HTC One is by far the best phone of them all.

All the reviews I have read simply state the HTC One is wonderful.

I just ordered mine and it was delivered today.  Its at home waiting for me to activate it!

GrandMaster

you quoted the wrong person lol

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

Well I received my One on Friday and sent it right back. 

Brand new phone and at both the top and bottom of the phone there was a visible gap between the center plastic filling and the metal casing.  If you pressed your finger down on it you could see the gap close and then open back up when you lifted your finger.

No way am I going to put up with that.  Dust and dirt could get in there and since it is already gapping it will only get worse with time.  I wondered if I had a bad one and decided to go to a few stores around the area and look at demos.  Out of the 3 demos I looked at only 1 did not have any gaps.  One demo actually had the entire bottom metal strip so loose you could pull it up from the left side and see underneath.

Seems like the build quality is not nearly as good as the reviews suggest.  Now I dont know what to do.  Maybe I will get a GS4 or maybe I will hold out for a Windows phone 8.

Right now I am kinda stuck as I have to wait for the return to process before I can even think of doing an upgrade.

GrandMaster

tennis-freak wrote:

Well I received my One on Friday and sent it right back.

Brand new phone and at both the top and bottom of the phone there was a visible gap between the center plastic filling and the metal casing.  If you pressed your finger down on it you could see the gap close and then open back up when you lifted your finger.

No way am I going to put up with that.  Dust and dirt could get in there and since it is already gapping it will only get worse with time.  I wondered if I had a bad one and decided to go to a few stores around the area and look at demos.  Out of the 3 demos I looked at only 1 did not have any gaps.  One demo actually had the entire bottom metal strip so loose you could pull it up from the left side and see underneath.

Seems like the build quality is not nearly as good as the reviews suggest.  Now I dont know what to do.  Maybe I will get a GS4 or maybe I will hold out for a Windows phone 8.

Right now I am kinda stuck as I have to wait for the return to process before I can even think of doing an upgrade.

im the polar opposite...i snagged the S4 seeing as how it still uses a sd card..within 2 days i had a list of issues with that thing..biggest one was the lag..i could type in my password to unlock the screen and seriously sit there for about 10 seconds and it would eventually type the password in like some ghost was doing it..if i played a racing game and hit the gas pedal it would take about a second for it to actually register..forget all that noise..i know a update was coming out to fix some of the lag issues but those werent my only problems...i swapped out for the One and have been loving it. only drawback aside from the lack of sd card is those dedicated buttons at the bottom that you cant seem to switch out for anything else...and that one dedicated page that keeps you up to speed on FB, weather and whatnot..all it is to me is lost space i could use for other things

Journeyman

Yeah I looked at the S4 this weekend at Best Buy when I was looking at demo HTC one's to see if they had gap's too. 

Best Buy has the dedicated Samsung stores in them now.  Apparently the lag issues are so bad that even the Samsung rep told me to avoid the S4 for now, LOL.

GrandMaster

no joke..it was horrible..games were pointless...the touch code security was pointless if you had to get into the phone quickly..

other issues were the airview didnt work....nor the smart view..which many dont know only work with certain apps at this time until more developers add these abilities..

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat