Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

U11 no setting option hotspot and tethering

Go to solution
Highlighted
Journeyman

U11 no setting option hotspot and tethering

After updating to Android 9 Pie, this setting option no longer appears in the setting. What can I do to make it reappear?  Thanks. 

71 REPLIES 71
Highlighted

Thanks for your response. I will try that tomorrow, and see what happens.

Thanks again,

Highlighted

Cool, when you do I'd really appreciate if you give us an update. To see if anything changes. 

Highlighted

@Sprint_Taleah Hello, just wanted to let you know, I was able to finally get it the Hotspot service to show. I had to dial ##BRAND#, once it restarted, I selected Profile Update from the settings, PRL Update from the settings as well, than it showed.

Hope this helps others!

Highlighted

I'm having the same problem with my HTC U11 Sprint phone.  USB, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth tethering options were previously on my phone under settings/more, and are now missing.  I have read and tried the advice on the 6 pages of this post with no success.  I've restarted the phone and updated Profile and PRL with no success.  When I type  ##BRAND# or ##27263# into the phone dialer, the characters disappear after I type the last #, and then nothing happens.  It just sits there at the dialer until the screen goes off.  The same thing happens when I type ##72786# into the phone dialer.  

I understand that other people have been successful in getting this issue fixed, but so far I'm not having any luck.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks

Highlighted

Hey, have you tried resetting the network settings? Just follow the steps provided: 

1. From the Home screen, swipe up and then tap Settings > Backup & reset.
  2. Tap Network settings reset.
  3. Tap Reset settings.
  4. Tap Reset settings.
S.R
Highlighted

Thanks S.R,

My HTC U11 is now running Software version 3.35.651.4.  Under Settings > Backup & Reset there is no option "Network Settings Reset".  The options under Backup & Reset are:

Back up my data

Backup account

Google Account

Automatic restore

Restore from HTC Backup

Reset Wi-Fi, mobile & Bluetooth

Reset app preferences

Erase all data (factory reset)

Another person in this threat reported that they tried "Reset Wi-Fi, mobile & Bluetooth" and all it did was to delete all their saved Wi-Fi network addresses and passwords and Bluetooth paired devices and it did nothing to solve the problem to restore the hotspot and tethering, so I don't want to do that.

Several people said they solved the problem by typing  ##BRAND# and/or ##72786# into the phone dialer, and proceeding from there.  As discussed in my post above, the characters disappear after I type the last # of either of these character sequences, and then nothing happens.  Do you have any suggestion about how to get these character sequences to work for me?  Or do you have any other suggestions?  Thank you!

Highlighted

As you're not getting the option to rest the Network Settings are you able to visit a repair store near you? https://sprint.co/2kfiWv6

S.R
Highlighted

@bkwunder2 I had the same issue, when trying to dial ##BRAND#, as well. Make sure you are using the native "Phone" application, the one provided by HTC. For me, I was using using a different dialer, which was causing the number vanishing problem. I "believe" I restarted my phone, than dialed ##BRAND#, making sure I was using the HTC dialer.

Hope this helps! 

Highlighted

@ganzo03 Thank you for your reply!  The app I'm using is simply called "Phone".  I assume that it's the "HTC Dialer" app that you discussed, but I guess I'm not positive.  The App icon has a solid light blue background with an old school phone receiver with white earpiece and white microphone in the center of the icon.  The (Advanced) App Info in Settings says that the "Phone" App is version 10.00.1089463.  Does that seem to be the same App you're referring to as the "HTC Dialer"   Thanks again for your help!

Highlighted

@Sprint_Shenelle Thank you for your reply.  Yes.  There is a Sprint repair store near me and I have been there many times in the past for various reasons.  To be completely honest, I don't want to present the " hotspot and tethering missing" problem to them in the Sprint repair store.  The problem with the techs in the repair store is that they very quickly jump to the solution of wiping the entire phone in an attempt to solve the problem.....usually without asking first if that drastic action is OK with the customer.  Wiping the phone may solve the problem, but they don't seem to have any concern for how much time and effort it takes to get the phone back to normal after a complete wipe.  I have a masters degree in engineering and I have lots of experience using and fixing consumer tech for years.  I must admit that this  hotspot and tethering issue has me stumped, but I prefer not to have my phone wiped in an attempt to solve the problem.  Do you have any other suggestions of what I might try to solve the problem?  Thank you for your reply!

Highlighted

Send us a Private Message I can get you connected to someone from our Tech Team to further troubleshoot this issue. 

S.R
Highlighted

I was finally successful in getting "Hotspot and tethering" included back in the list of settings at "Settings > More" in my HTC U11 phone.  I believe the "Hotspot and tethering" setting was deleted during the process of upgrading from Android 8 (Oreo) to Android 9 (Pie).  Other people in the thread above have been successful in getting the "Hotspot and tethering" option back, but there is a lot of confusion about the exact process.  My HTC U11 is running Software update 3.35.651.4

For the record, this is the process I used to make it work:

1) Settings > System Updates > Update Profile - Wait until it finishes, tap OK

2) Settings > System Updates > Update PRL - Wait until it finishes, tap OK

3) Restart Phone.  Hold Power button, Press Restart

4) Disable any other Phone Dialer Apps you may have running on your phone (like Mr. Number). Settings > Apps > Mr Number > Force Stop > Disable

5) Restart Phone.  Hold Power button, Press Restart

6) Tap the HTC "Phone" App.  My Phone App is Version 10.00.1089463

7) Type ##72786# into the phone dialer.  Wait.  The SCRTN screen will appear

😎 Do nothing.  Press the back button (twice)

9) Type ##27263# into the phone dialer.  After typing the last # all the characters will disappear

10) Wait.  When you see the warning Tap OK

11) Tap OK Again

12) Restart Phone.  Hold Power button, Press Restart.  Wait

13) Hands free Activation will start and complete,  PRL update will start and complete.  Phone will restart.

14) "Hotspot and tethering" will be restored at Settings > More

15) Re-Enable other Phone Dialer Apps you may have running on your phone (like Mr. Number) that you disabled in Step 4)

Some of the steps above may not be required.  Steps 1), 2), 3), 5), 7), 8), may not be required, but these 15 steps are what I did....and it worked.  To my knowledge, no data or apps, or anything else was deleted during this process.  The phone seems to be exactly like it was before the process was started....except "Hotspot and tethering" is restored on my HTC U11 phone.  I performed this process on two HTC U11 phones and it worked on both phones.

I believe that the process above is completely safe, but as you already know, use this process at your own risk.  Hope this helps someone.  

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat