Sprint today announced that its award-winning Samsung Epic™ 4G* and Samsung Galaxy Tab™ will be Sprint ID-enabled, beginning March 21, allowing customers who own these devices to download a complete mobile experience, called an “ID pack” – including apps, widgets, ringtones, wallpapers, shortcuts and more – tailored to their specific interests, business needs or favorite brands in a single download.
Details About the Software Update:
All existing Samsung Epic 4G and Samsung Galaxy Tab owners will be prompted this week to accept the over-the-air software update for Sprint ID and Froyo™ in their device’s notification tab. Once the update is installed, the user can find the Sprint ID icon in their Applications Menu and begin experiencing Sprint ID. All users should have access to this new software update by March 24.
The software update for Samsung Epic 4G will also include the Android 2.2 (Froyo) operating system update. This update will add numerous capabilities, including Adobe Flash Player 10.1, Bluetooth dialing and allows app installation to external storage.
New Customer Experience:
Customers who purchase a new Samsung Epic 4G or Samsung Galaxy Tab can access Sprint ID from their Applications Menu when they turn it on for the first time.
Sprint ID Background:
Sprint ID launched in October 2010 on three devices – LG Optimus S™, Sanyo Zio™ and Samsung Transform™ – with 16 consumer lifestyle ID packs targeting specific interests including Home Base, Health & Fitness, Fashion & Beauty, Socially Connected, Business Pro, Golf Enthusiast, Auto Enthusiast, The Big Apple and Entertainment, as well as branded ID packs from Yahoo!, WHERE and Lo2Yo by LatCel. Since launch, brands that have deployed Sprint ID packs include MTV, ESPN and HSN. Select ID packs will be available for download onto Samsung Galaxy Tab and Samsung Epic 4G.
Customers with Sprint ID-capable devices can download up to five ID packs onto their phone and easily switch back and forth between them or swap them out for new ones. Sprint customers currently are downloading an average of two ID packs per device. Sprint ID packs are free to download with an Everything Data plan.
Since Sprint ID launched, the most popular Sprint ID packs include:
• Entertainment: Features games, music, photo and celebrity news apps to keep users entertained no matter where they go. Apps include Shazam (identify any song), WikiMobile (mobile encyclopedia) and Poynt (local search app that lets users connect with businesses, restaurants and people near them).
• Yahoo!: Gives users access to their favorite Yahoo! services in one simple download including Yahoo! Finance, Mail, News, Sports, Messenger, Fantasy Football and Flickr.
• MTV Music ID: MTV Music ID allows fans to quickly download a package of apps, widgets and other content, including MTV News, MTV Photos, MTV Twitter and streaming music apps.
• Socially Connected: Delivers a customized experience for keeping users connected with friends while on the go. Features Facebook, TweetCaster and more, creating the ultimate starting point for their own multi-tasking, socially connected mobile package.
• ESPN ID: Instant access to scores right on the device’s home screen, as well as one-tap access to sports news, fantasy teams and the user’s favorite ESPN programs, including more than 900 live events per year on ESPN Mobile TV.
• WHERE: Enables people to discover the world around them by recommending local information, places and events; also helps people save money by providing location based coupons and cheapest gas stations. Allows users to find everything from weather, news and restaurant reviews to the closest coffee shop, traffic updates, movie show times and offers from local merchants.
• Fashion & Beauty: Delivers a customized experience for keeping users connected and up-to-date on the latest fashion trends, celebrity gossip, beauty and style. Apps include TrendTracker (keep track of the latest runway looks, fashion news, trend ideas); TMZ & E! Online (breaking celeb news); and ShopSavvy (scan the barcode of any product and it will search for all the best prices from local and online retailers).
• Health & Fitness: Healthy eating on the go is made easier with the Health & Fitness ID Pack. Apps include Fast Food Calorie Counter; Cardio Trainer (training partner for running, cycling, hiking, and other fitness activities); Yoga Trainer Lite; and iTriage (find closest health care providers and more).
• Home Base: A great solution for those running a modern household. Apps include Big Oven (featuring 170,000+ recipes); E! Online (get celebrity gossip fix); Pandora (listen to your favorite tunes wherever you are); Grocery Smart (create shopping lists); and Springpad (save notes, tasks or lists).
• Lo2yo Latino: Lo2Yo Latino ID brings users the best of their Latino world from news and entertainment to sports, soap operas and much more, all in Spanish.