cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

With Less than Two Weeks Before National Distracted Driving Awareness Month, Sprint Shines a Light on the Issue at CTIA

Journeyman

In honor of next month’s spotlight on distracted driving awareness, Sprint CEO Dan Hesse announced to attendees at CTIA, that it will offer Sprint® Drive FirstTM later this year – the wireless carrier’s first safe-driving solution to help wireless consumers safely manage their mobile devices and focus on driving while they’re behind the wheel.

Created by Location Labs, Drive First will be available in the third quarter of 2011 on AndroidTM mobile phones for Sprint customers and will require a $2-per-month charge (excluding surcharges and taxes) for each device that utilizes its features.

The solution is designed to do the following when driving is detected:

• Lock the driver’s cell phone screen and redirect calls to voice mail.
  • Block text-message alerts and auto-respond to the message sender that the driver is currently unavailable.
  • Allow access to three key contacts and three mobile applications, such as GPS navigation.
  • Give parents and business administrators Web portal access to configure Drive First for their teens’ or employees’ mobile devices.

Attendees at the International CTIA WIRELESS 2011 Show can demo Sprint Drive First and other Sprint distracted driving solutions at the “Sprint Innovation Station” in the exhibitor hall.

Executive Quotes:

Dan Hesse, CEO Sprint - “As a parent, I am proud that Sprint is offering distracted driving solutions like Sprint Drive First, which effectively helps wireless customers manage their usage, stay safe behind the wheel and focus their attention on driving. As mobile data usage continues to grow in popularity, Sprint wants to ensure its wireless consumers engage in safe behavior for themselves and others.”

Tasso Roumeliotis, CEO Location Labs - “Location Labs continues to develop best-of-breed personal and family safety services that unlock the power of smart devices for users of all ages. We are thrilled to partner with Sprint, which is once again showing a real commitment to family and personal safety by offering Drive First to Sprint customers.”

Related Links:

www.sprint.com/focusondriving

www.locationlabs.com

2 Comments
Journeyman

I am all for the safety aspect of this feature, but am wondering if I am a passenger in a car, will it lock me out then as well?  If the phone isn't availbale to use while someone else is driving, this would keep me from adding this feature to my phone.

Journeyman

@GMJONES1021, Good question. The app has a discretionary override feature for exactly those times when someone might be a passenger or riding a bus, train, etc. Some parents might want to use the app with their teen-aged drivers. In those cases, the parent could use the Web interface to choose to be notified by text message or e-mail when the override occurs. They also could use the Web interface to view phone usage during the override.