Did you mean: 

3/28 - Kyocera Echo Software Update - 2.006sp

Wizard

3/28 - Kyocera Echo Software Update - 2.006sp

Kyocera Echo Software Update - 2.006sp

Enhancements/Fixes 

- MMS audio cuts off after 8 seconds

- Changes to roaming guard display

- Activation of Commercial Mobile Alert System (CMAS)

- Security update

Important Notes:

- Updates are released in stages; if you do not see the update on your phone immediately, please be patient

- Refer to the Kyocera Echo Software Updates blog for install instructions

14 REPLIES 14
Journeyman

Re: 3/28 - Kyocera Echo Software Update - 2.006sp

Very glad to see some type of update.  I actually love my echo.  Quirky sometimes?  Yes... but still I love it.  Now... if they would just put ICS on it.... oh well 

Thanks for this update log

Journeyman

Quirky is an understatment....They should push an update that turns all of these into bricks....wait, they already did that a few months after the phone debute.

Journeyman

I am receiving an error when I try to install the update, error 8506. I am following the update instructions.

Journeyman

When attempting to upgrade I've been unable to get anything but Error 8507.  Hours of Sprint phone support and just recently 4 hours in a Sprint service center where, as a last ditch effort, they performed a hard reset have gotten me nowhere.  The phone is still on software version 1.001SP and Android 2.2.1. Speaking on conference call today with Kyocera & Sprint tech support, Kyocera tells me that 2.006SP is out and working properly, but some phones are completely unable to take the update over the air and need to be re-flashed (re-write the memory chip) with the latest software releases by Sprint or sent to a Kyocera service center.

Problem is no Sprint store will reflash the phone as it voids the Kyocera warranty!

So, I'm forced to mail the phone to Kyocera and wait 3-4 weeks before getting it back.

Master

Reflashing it does not void the warranty, Is it a corporate repair center you visited? They should be able to reflash it easily and/or apply the update.

Journeyman

This update put my phone in a power loop. Will not hard reset, even hard wiping it at a Sprint repair center did nothing to fix the issues. Beware this update may turn your Echo into a brick!

I now get to ship it to Kyocera so they can fix it and of course I will be out of a phone for about a month.....

I really love this phone but this issue is something that should have never happened, my phone worked fantastic prior to this update! (update downloaded 4/23).

Master

youareNumber6 wrote:

This update put my phone in a power loop. Will not hard reset, even hard wiping it at a Sprint repair center did nothing to fix the issues. Beware this update may turn your Echo into a brick!

I now get to ship it to Kyocera so they can fix it and of course I will be out of a phone for about a month.....

I really love this phone but this issue is something that should have never happened, my phone worked fantastic prior to this update! (update downloaded 4/23).

All software updates carry a risk of bricking a device. This is for any piece of electronics, not just phones. The risk is minor, but if power cuts out at any time during the flash or if the file is corrupted at some point in download or during the flash itself the likelihood of the device bricking increases exponentially.

Normally the S&R stores can bring these devices back to life, but I have had some phones that haven't been salvageable in my store, from multiple manufacturers and types of devices.

Journeyman

I guess I should feel lucky this is the only time (for me) a firmware update has ever created a brick out of my phone, going back to when my phone was literally a brick!

Journeyman

Until today, I had never thought of the idea of having insurance against software updates. The fact that any number of people have had their phone bricked by this update should have caused someone in a position of responsibility to stop the push of the update and reconsider what is going wrong. My power was not interrupted during install and it still failed to restart when complete. I always thought the insurance was to cover self inflicted damage, now I know Sprint can inflict damage on your phone remotely and leave you to pay for it. What a rip-off.

Journeyman

this update has caused my phone to restart after every phone call i make. and it takes up to a minute to come out of sleep mode. i called sprint and the told me to hard reset it. the hard reset did absolutely nothing at all. then sprint told me it had to be an internal problem and asked if i wanted a replacement phone. i would usually say yes but this is the second time ive had to have it replaced due to software problems after updating. i love my echo but thi is just ridiculous. im saying forget it and getting a different make and model.

Journeyman

The Kyocera Echo has been available since April 2011, yet it is still running on Gingerbread as of today. How come it is not updated? Does it not have enough processing power to handle Ice Cream Sandwich?

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat