cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

8/1 - Kyocera Echo Software Update - Android 2.3

Wizard

8/1 - Kyocera Echo Software Update - Android 2.3

Update: This upgrade is once again available for Kyocera device owners. 

Kyocera Echo Software Update - 2.002sp

Enhancements/Fixes 

- Eco mode

- EAS enhancements

- Swype 3.0

- Gingerbread Android OS software update

Including improved power management

Improved text input

Minor performance improvements

Manage Applications Control

Download Manager

Important Notes:

- Updates are released in stages; if you do not see the update on your phone immediately, please be patient.

To update your Echo over the air:

1. From the Home screen, press Menu

2. Tap Settings

3. Scroll up and tap System updates

4. Tap Update Firmware

5. Your phone will automatically download and install any available updates; you may need to power your

phone off and back on to complete the update

Check the version on your phone

1. From the Home screen, press Menu

2. Tap Settings

3. Scroll up and tap About phone

4. The Software Version shows the current version on your phone

43 REPLIES 43
Journeyman

8/1 - Kyocera Echo Maintenance Release - Android 2.3

People would be well advised to avoid this update for the time being.  Lots of complaints about phones bricked after applying, not only here but on other forums as well.

Journeyman

Do not download. I did this morning and my phone is now a paper weight. Had to order a new one and it will be tues or wed before I have a phone again. THIS SUX!

Journeyman

Any info about why this update is bricking phones?

Journeyman

If Sprint knows, they aren't saying.  But they didn't give me the first problem about sending out a replacement phone and waiving the activation fee for it.

Sprint Employee

This problem has been reported and is being investigated, additional information will be posted here.

No longer working Community Response.
Journeyman

Re: 8/1 - Kyocera Echo Maintenance Release - Android 2.3

I did the update today and bricked my phone. Sprint gave me a new phone and told me to wait before updating firmware. I spoke to tech support who said there is no known issue. I spoke to Kyocera this afternoon who said speak to sprint as they released the update. AT 8:30 pm KYOCERA CORPORATE called me up asking for the DEC from my phone as they are working hard on fixing the issue of bricking the phones. They advised NOT to do an update until it is fixed

Journeyman

Re: 8/1 - Kyocera Echo Maintenance Release - Android 2.3

Get this.  When my replacement phone didn't arrive today, I called Sprint to find out why.  After being transferred to technical support, I was informed the order was never placed because I didn't have insurance on the line.   Seriously?  I need insurance to get a phone replacement because Sprint rolled out an update that completely fubared my phone?  I have to pay $35 for Sprint's mistake?  I don't think so. 

I told tech services I was immediately cancelling our account.  I was transferred to account services who transferred me to another department.  I told the girl I spoke with to (again), cancel our account.  When she inquired why, I told her everything that had transpired.  After being placed on hold a couple of times, she verified that Sprint's tech service department is not authorized to issue replacement phones unless the $35 fee is paid, unless of course, you have purchased insurance.  She offered to enroll me in insurance immediately.  I declined.  It's one thing if the customer did something to ruin their phone.  It's completely another if Sprint rolls out an update that breaks it.  How is that in any way the customer's fault?  Anyway, it came down to this.  She had to charge me $35 to even order a replacement which was not done as promised on Monday (we're into day 3 here without a phone), but said she would issue a credit for that charge.  The phone is supposed to arrive on Friday.  If it doesn't, that's it.  I can go to the Verizon store 1 mile away from our house and get hooked up with service immediately.   We have been with Sprint since 2005, have 4 phones and a premium account but I will not hesitate to cancel it all.

Wizard

LarkBea,

How did this turn out?  If the update caused the problems on your device, you should not have to have insurance or pay any fees. 

Journeyman

Do not update yet. I just tried and got error 8507. I guess this issue is not 100% fixed. Unable to do hard reset and my screen is just stucked with the Kyocera logo. Going to chat and possibly head to store later to get this fix.

Journeyman

Updated last night, went smooth.

2.3 is great.

UI seems faster switchibg screens, appears to boot faster.

So far so good.

Glenn

Journeyman

Just finished updating this morning with no issues.  Not much difference from Froyo.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat