cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

8/2 - Android 2.3 upgrade temporarily suspended - UPDATE: NOW AVAILABLE

Wizard

8/2 - Android 2.3 upgrade temporarily suspended - UPDATE: NOW AVAILABLE

We have received reports of the Android 2.3 upgrade failing to install properly.  As a result, the upgrade has been temporarily suspended.  Customer's with an Echo that failed to upgrade properly should take the device to a Sprint Service & Repair center

Sprint and Kyocera are troubleshooting the issue and more information will be provided when available.  We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

UPDATE: The Android 2.3 upgrade has been re-released. 

17 REPLIES 17
Highlighted
Master

8/2 - Android 2.3 upgrade temporarily suspended

I sure hope Sprint has Memo'd the stores/repair centers as there are many complaints of them not wanting to help and are trying to charge customers $35 to even check the devices, And telling customers to file a claim with Asurion and pay the deductable. When phones BRICKED by upgrades need to be replaced for FREE!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: 8/2 - Android 2.3 upgrade temporarily suspended

I also hope they memo the stores, i was told yesterday by customer service to bring $35.00 with me to replace the device.  Im going today to see what happens.  I do hope they dont try and charge me for THEIR error

Highlighted
Sprint Product Ambassador

Stores are aware of the issue - just saw an internal note from one of our store techs in TX:

"I did my update yesterday and did brick my phone. Today at my location (Full Service) I was able to recover my bricked phone using a recovery tool that all Techs have on the Triage Laptop. It is under the normal over the wire upgrade option. It’s a small checkbox and it basically reinstalled the phone back to it’s state right before the update. We did not lose any apps, texts, or anything else.

Wanted you guys to know we are all over it for the unfortunate few who updated and ended up with a bricked result.

Aaron F, Richmond TX Tech III"

You will need to contact a full service Sprint Store, not a mall kiosk or 3rd party sales site.

http://storelocator.sprint.com/

Product Ambassador, long time Sprint employee
Highlighted
Journeyman

Just called my store.... and they told me I have to drop the phone off and pay the $35.00 so NO stores are not aware

this is the store I called. found on sprints site. this is the only "repair" option in my city....

2075 N Germantown Pky
Ste 110
Cordova, TN 38016
(901) 309-6510
Highlighted
Master

Is it a Sprint Corporate store, If it is call Sprint and complain, Make them credit your account the $35 if the store refuses to fix your device for free. There is no way they can charge you to repair/replace a phone bricked by an update they pushed to it.

Highlighted
Master

Yea, That's a third party store, Call and have them either credit your account or send out a replacement since there is no Corp repair center within 50 miles of you.

Highlighted
Journeyman

We went to the Sprint Full Service Coporate Location at 5300 S Mo Pac Expy Ste 502 in Austin, TX 78749 yesterday afternoon.  Our Echo is less than 2 1/2 months old.  They claimed there was nothing they could do but send in our next-to-new phone in and exchange it for a refurbished model for $35.  In addition, we have made calls to Sprint, Kyocera, Radio Shack's extended warranty service... basically anyone we've come in contact with regarding that phone (except Google).  No one knows what to do with this kind of software update that has gone wrong.  The Kyocera phone rep blamed Sprint and Google and claimed their warranty would not cover system updates, even when it covered software malfunctions.  We called that same Sprint store this morning and spoke with a manager and they confirmed that the only thing they were willing to do in this situation was for us to give them $35 and get an old phone instead.

I am REALLY hoping they find a way to fix this problem.  It is bad enough to go without a phone for a few days, but to give customer's the brush off when they got to the store without saying, "We're aware of the situation.  We got a memo from Sprint.  We will call you at home/on another line on your account as soon as we come up with a solution within X amount of time or we'll replace it for you."  I've heard a few stores are doing an even exchange- but most are seeking to charge $35.  Please keep us in the loop.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Now im on the phone with someone that has NO idea what the heck Im talking about......I even had to explain what an update OTA is.....  This is SO SO IRRITATING.  Finally transferred and now Im on the line with "Advanced Replacement".....whatever that means.... And another explanation is required..... this is getting rediculas. Sounds like they are going to send me a replacement.  I know this is a problem that is only one day old, but seriously, there should be some more information out there for the customer service people, because they are truly clueless (not their fault).

BTW Levi, thanks for your direction and help... noone else has been able to  😃

Highlighted
Journeyman

I went to the sprint store and they told me they would have to order me a new phone. Later in the day they told me they could not replace my Echo I would have to choose a new phone it was between the Nexus s and the EVO slide phones , so I selected the Nexus. Then Sprint calls me back and tells me I don't really have a choice it is the EVO slide or there is nothing they can do. I called Sprint customer care twice and got hung up on both times when they tried to transfer me to a different department.  I called a second sprint store and I was told they couldn't help me at all because they didn't know what I was talking about, so now I'm on my way to a third store we will see what they say.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I can tell you right now, if anyone tries to charge me $35 or send me a refurbished phone instead of a brand new one for something that Sprint rolled out to my phone and was in no way my fault, I'll pay an ETA and go to Verizon.  It's ridiculous that these things should even be issues under the circumstances.

Highlighted
Journeyman

And btw, the closest Sprint repair store to my location is 90 miles away.   Add $35 to the gas and wear and tear for an almost 200 mile round trip journey is unconscionable. The tech I spoke with yesterday tried to do a hard reset from her location, but it failed. 

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat