cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Echo keeps restarting itself

Journeyman

Last week I picked up the new Echo, over-all seems to be a nice phone.  About a day after getting it it would restart itself over and over, sometimes every hour other times hours would pass before doing it.  Monday I called tech support and was told to return it for a new one.  As of today the new one has started it too, restarted itself at least twice so far.  I could see one doing this, but two?

What in the world could be cause Echo's to restart themselves like this?  Only apps I've installed is the official Facebook and Twitter apps, and updated gmail, etc that was already on there.  Any idea's?

43 REPLIES 43
Master

I've had mine since the day before launch and it's rebooted on it's own 12 times now that I know of, I've done a factory reset, Went without adding any apps and it still does it. I've seen a few reports of it, No one seems to know why it's doing it. Waiting on Sprint to see if I can get mine replaced. =(

Journeyman

Sad thing is tho I've had two do this to me so far.  I've read on other forums a number of people are reporting the same issue with the Echo.  Seems some report the same thing as mine, does it when the screen is asleep.  Mine will be right next to me and I can glance over and I'll see it restarting.  Doesn't matter where I am either, my house, girlfriends, out driving, at a store, etc

Journeyman

I have been having the same problem on my phone.  It has become very fraustrating.  I went to the Sprint Store and they did a factory reset and formated my SD card saying that it would fix the problem.  It did not.  They then told me to go to a Sprint repair store so they can fix the problem or replace the phone.  However, they said it would be a $35 fee to replace the phone.  That is absurd!!  Why do I need to pay Sprint or HTC $35 to fix an issue that should not exist.  The phone is supposed to be covered for 1 year under the manufacturers garantee.  I love my phone and have been gloating about it to people.  I always thought it was better than the iPhone, I'm beginning to have doubts about that now.

Master

I'm waiting on a replacement for mine as nothing that's been done has stopped it from rebooting. Since your within the first 30 days there is no charge to repair/replace your defective phone, Where did you purchase your phone from? Online, Sprint Corporate store or third party reseller? Try to take it back to the point of purchase or at least make sure it's a Corporate Service & Repair center. The $35 fee is only applicable after 30 days if you do not have TEP.

Journeyman

Re: Echo keeps restarting itself

I've been trying to see what can be done.  I've talked with Sprint but pretty much no help.  They only keep saying to return this one too.  My thing is what's the point in returning a second Echo and more or likely the 3rd one will do the same?  I've told Sprint about how many posts I've been reading lately about peoples Echo's restarting.  Of course the reply I get back is "This is NOT a known issue with this phone, so the next one should work just fine".

They've even said maybe my local Sprint store will allow me to exchange it for a totally different phone.  Since I exchanged a phone to get the Echo I know my Sprint store will not allow me to do that.  They'll only let me get another Echo.  It may not be a known issue but if everyone that's having this issue would report it then it'd become a known issue.

I've read where some people say their Echo has never restarted on it's own.  But how many has and they didn't see it happen, after all it's not like it makes a noise when it restarts.  Mine restarted at least 3 times yesterday.

Journeyman

Re: Echo keeps restarting itself

i misread your post.  I thought you were talking about the HTC Evo.  Regardless, Sprint needs to get their act togeather.  It has been over a month for me but the phone is covered under the manufacturing warantee for one year after the date of purchase.

Sprint Product Ambassador

As one of 12 members of the Echo ambassador team I can tell you that none of us have seen this problem with our units. I'm not saying there isn't a concern, as certainly your observations are valuable to us. We're listening. All I'm saying is we haven't seen it ourself - not once. I'd also point out that not a single unit sent out to technology evaluators, testers, press and industry have reported this problem.

What we have discovered is that the location of the power button is causing some issues, depending on how you hold your Echo at various times. For example, some of us have noticed when holding the device in tablet mode your finger can easily rest on the power button and before you know it your Echo is going through a reboot. Or sometimes we think we're adjusting the volume when in fact we're mashing on the power button. It's easy to do and yeilds results that mimic shutting down or rebooting for otherwise no reason.

We've discussed your reported issue internally. We will continue to watch the forums, blogs and product channels. We want to know if anyone can actually get their Echo to go through one of these restarts through a repeatable and consistent series of actions (other than purposely turning the unit off). It would greatly help if you can tell us what apps you're running, what you were doing when the restart happened, etc. You can PM me with details.

Sprint Product Ambassador and Sprint employee --

All opinions and views are my own. But I'm usually pretty funny and totally on point because I'm humorous and a smart guy, not just a pretty face.
Master

Czech, A couple things, One, The placement of the power button is in a bad place, But in no way can it trigger a reboot as you also get a prompt if you hold the power button and have to manually choose the option in order for it to shut down. Two, I did recieve a PM and have been discussing this issue with a Sprint employee product ambassador for the Echo and his is also doing it, "QUOTE from him - I like it, and I feel it's the beginnning of some good stuff... but yea it's rebooted on me while driving using GPS, and a few other times.'' If you'd like I can get him to contact you about the issue.

It is nothing that I found that triggers it, But It has done it when I unplug it from the charger, It's done it 3 times that way. Once when answereing a call, A few times while working with apps(both pre loaded and sideloaded), I've caught it doing it while just sitting on the table twice, I have also went to use it a couple times and it was turned off and I did not turn it off.

In the future when I run across someone else with the issue I'll try to get them to post on this thread so we can try to figure out what is causing it.

Journeyman

Yeah I'll have mine sitting on my desk and it'll just restart, or it'll be on my lap and I'll see it restart.  Not once do I or anything push the power button.  It so far restarted once today and this is getting so old.  On my first Echo I did the reset, tried a different SD card, didn't install an apps, take battery out for a few minutes, etc and it'd still do it.  If I had known two Echo's would do this I would've stuck with my HTC Arrive.

Master

@gsandh01, I also have an Evo and have also expierenced it 3 times on it that I know of, I've had it since launch. It is been reported many times and is a known issue, There is a thread on here discussing it with an admin asking for info to try to pinpoint the cause.

Sprint Product Ambassador

Levi4u & others - Thanks for the feedback and details. Trust me when I say we are watching this issue and documenting. We really appreciate your contributions!

Sprint Product Ambassador and Sprint employee --

All opinions and views are my own. But I'm usually pretty funny and totally on point because I'm humorous and a smart guy, not just a pretty face.
Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat