Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just figured out I am still on 1.001SP...Maybe that is why I can't update to Android 2.3.4??? [RESOLVED]

Journeyman

Just figured out I am still on 1.001SP...Maybe that is why I can't update to Android 2.3.4??? [RESOLVED]

For whatever reason, when I got my phone, I assumed I was on the latest software realease 1.100SP, but I am not.  I am on 1.001SP...suprised the Sprint Tech did not tell me this yesterday.  Not sure about this, but maybe the latest update is inclusive of all past updates.  If not, were any of you able to update to 1.100SP without issues?  Just trying to figure out ways to get around this 8507 error.  Some of you may have read my other post from yesterday, regarding taking my phone in to a Sprint store and being told that there was a software provisional tower that was knocked down in the SW Ohio region and that is why updates were failing.  I find that hard to believe, but maybe some of you Sprint folks can chime in on this.

Any help, or guidance is greatly appreciated.  I love my Echo, but this has to be the most difficult time that I have had with updating a phone.

Thanks

[RESOLVED]

Thanks to "BeaAurther" a Sprint Rep in these online forms, I was able to get my phone updated to Android 2.3.4.  He saw my post and called my local Sprint Store to make sure they have the correct equipment to do the update and then opened up a trouble ticket.  All I had to do was walk in the store with the ticket number and volia!  2 hours later my phone was running 2.3.4 with all my data in tact.  So, if you continue to get the 8507 error, take our phone to a Sprint Service and Repair phone and see if they can update your phone via the "Triage Laptop".  If they have it in house, then they should be able to do it.

So far, my phone is running better than it ever did.  Battery life is a bit better, and it seems to run a little faster.

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Wizard

Just figured out I am still on 1.001SP...Maybe that is why I can't update to Android 2.3.4???

8507 is an installation error where the installation of the Update failed. In that instance I would recommend either a. redownloading the software or b. attempting to reflash Over The Wire (OTW) at a local S&R store with a Triage Laptop. Which it seems like you tried to do but a service tech was unable to complete maybe because they did not have access to a Triage Laptop. If you are on 1.001 you have two updates available: 1.100 and then 2.002 until you get on the latest version. When you are in settings > system updates > you will want to click both update firmware and update Android - is that when you get error 8507? Does the Internet work on the phone - are you able to access websites and browse and what not?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Just figured out I am still on 1.001SP...Maybe that is why I can't update to Android 2.3.4???

BeaArthur, thanks for the response.

I am assuming the Sprint store that I took it to did not try that Triage Laptop, since they were getting the same 8507 error that I was getting during the update.  I understand that I have two updates to go through 1.100 and 2.002, but I can't get either one to work.  I have tried the firmware update for 1.100 and it just comes back with no firmware updates available.  When I try the Android Update, it downloads the update, prompts me to start, which I do and it restarts the phone and the package installer logo and the status bar show up.  The status updates to about 1/4th the progress bar and then I get the 8507 error.

Internet works fine on the phone and I have 3 email accounts drawing data as well.  I have been trying for 3 weeks now with the same results.  It jsust seems that no one can come up with a concrete answer as to what or why certain folks are getting the 8507 error and why some phones don't see the 1.100 firmware update.

Highlighted
Wizard

Just figured out I am still on 1.001SP...Maybe that is why I can't update to Android 2.3.4???

This is unfortunate because when the device fails to update Over The Air like this - our Plan B is update Over The Wire with the Triage Laptop at a Sprint Service and Repair store. We are officially at Plan B at this time. What store did you go to, maybe that store was not a Service and Repair center? Please go to www.sprint.com/storelocator and check the box that says "repair" for a S&R store in your area - and I will create a ticket with the exact steps that need to be followed to update the device. I will also send you a Private Message with the steps that you can print out and take with you so that we can make sure this issue gets resolved. Please let me know if this sounds like a plan that will work for you, thanks!

Highlighted
Journeyman

BeaArthur....thank you, thank you, thank you.

Here is the store I went to.  It is a repair center...

261 N Springboro Pike Rd
Dayton, OH 45449
Phone: (937) 432-1900

Creating a ticket with the exact steps to follow would be greatly appreciated and by all means please PM the steps to me so I have them.

Can't thank you enough and I hope this does the trick.

Highlighted
Wizard

No worries deep72, it's my pleasure! I am sorry for the inconvenience this has caused you. I sent you a Private Message, please reply to that Private Message with your phone number so that I can open the ticket, thanks. I called the store but they are closed right now - I wanted to talk to a tech to make sure that they do have the ability to perform an OTW update (even some S&R stores don't). I will call them first thing tomorrow morning when I get in to the office (11:45 AM central time) to make sure. If they can't you might have to drive a bit to another S&R store in the area, again i am sorry for the inconvenience! I am feeling confident that this will get resolved - we just need to find a S&R center that has the tools that we need!

Highlighted
Journeyman

I had the same problem and it took me a couple of tries before the update finally went thru. the key is to keep trying. it took me five tries to finally get the damn upate to go thru. do NOT reset your phone first, but if you did don't do it again. i finally got the update thru at about elven at night after trying all day. run the update first but don't install it, just save it. then run the updatea again but this time install it (when you save it the first time it won't install from the saved file for some reason and you can't get to where it is.) once you start the update the second time (with the first update saved to the phone) it should do its thing and update everything. its gotta be plugged in-not using the charger dock use the usb direct to the wall with the plug. it'll get toasty so you might want to have good airflow around the phone (i put mine in front of the a/c.)

Highlighted
Journeyman

hawk66871, thanks for your input.  I believe I responded to another thread, where you posted how you got the update to go through and I replied that I tried what you suggested, but for what ever reason it not work, no matter how many times I try downloading the update.  After the first download, I would press later to postpone the the update, but then would have to wait a bit in order to download again.  If I tried to download a second time, right after the first time, it would not let me and would force me to run through the first update that I downloaded.  If I waited a few minutes, it would download again.  I would then try to run through the update and get the 8507 error and this would happen for every update after that.

If BeaArthur can confirm that my local Sprint sotre has a triage laptop, I will just take it in and have them update the phone for me, so I can stop be frustrated with it.

Again, thanks for your input...if I am missing a step let me know, I am will to keep trying.

Community News

Our Community is currently set to Read Only due the pandemic's affect on our staffing .
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat