cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Random issues with Echo, any ideas?

Journeyman

Random issues with Echo, any ideas?

These are just a few of the issues I have had with my echo. Has anyone else had these or seen a solution for them?

I have updated to the most recent version of the Android OS available to the Echo (Gingerbread), and kyocera updates.

1. When making a call, my phone's screen will go black and unresponsive once I hit the green call button to make a call. This makes it hard to setup the speakerphone (or other features available while calling) without having to hit the power button then unlocking the phone.

2. My phone will randomly restart at unexpected times without installing app or system updates, while not running any memory-intensive programs or constant background applications like pandora which plays music while not directly opened.

3. Spontaneously disconnecting from the 3G internet network. Either returning a network busy error code (2048), 1012 error code, or no error code at all. Not only does the 3G network disconnect, but my voice signal drops to nothing at the same time in probably half those circumstances. Wifi and bluetooth have been off, and data is enabled with only sprint roaming allowed during those times. I have tried updating the voice and data profile, and PRL on numerous occasions, usely leading to issue 8 below.

4. When a text message fails to send, hitting the red caution triangle in the thread will crash the messaging app, instead of repasting the failed message back into the text box to send again. Not sure if it is suppose to try again later to resend this message, but it never has tried to send the message after a failure to send.

5. The speech-to-text function will frequently ignore a change in noise volumes when listening  to the user's voice. For example, if I have the fan or radio on in my car, then shut it off mid-speech, it will tend to always fail when sending to the servers to translate to text. There will be no input response by the graphical microphone icon that shows up when speaking. It does not always seem to reset its "sensitivity" level, if the user tries again with the fan or radio off before speaking again, making yelling pointless. (sort of an issue)

6. Deleting more than like 20 emails at a time by selection through the default email app, will crash the app. (not really an issue, just an annoyance)

7. While the browser is still loading a google search page, while searching for something, if you select the url bar, it will sometimes reset back to the previous url loaded. (an annoyance)

8. While using my phone at home, I have been getting high pings on average close to 400 ms, 400 kbps download, and 130 kbps upload, data recorded over the speedtest.net android app over a week period through the closest server available (about 100 tests). The drop in service was a sudden occurence between end of May and until now, I have usually had some better rates than these in my area. This issue might be related to the 3rd issue, listed above.

Zip code: 17268 Local business: Martin's Food Store, 1511 E Main St, Waynesboro, PA 17268

Thank you all for your time.

Please note, I am not intending this to be seen as a personal attack at Sprint. Just wanted to see if anyone else had similar issues or found solutions to them.

6 REPLIES 6
Master

Re: Random issues with Echo, any ideas?

Hello and Thank you for using Sprint.com Communities.  First thing I would check on your device is your "internal memory."  Home - Menu - Settings - SD and Storage - Internal space "free."  Random restarts, screen going black, and apps crashing are all typically symptoms of low internal memory. 

As for the slow data at a particular location, it would be unrelated to the software anomolies you describe. 

Let us know about the status of your internal memory, we will make further recommendations and check your area for slow data issues. 

Tom

Journeyman

From those directions, I have 166 MB of available internal memory space. Although, if I go to Home -> Menu -> Manage Apps -> under the All tab, there is 317 mb internal storage being used and 213 mb free.

Master

Ok, since your memory is not the issue; have you considered uninstalling the last app you added to your phone.  Try to remember when this issue started.  If it coincides to an app install from the Play Store, try removing it.  If it coincides to the software update back in March, there could have been a problem with your update, or your configuration when it updated.  Ultimately, a hard reset is the last resort if all other simple trouble shooting has been completed and the problem persists.  

Tom

Journeyman

I will be uninstalling any unnecessary apps and games, and see if this resolves the issue by checking back in a couple days. The last app I would have installed from what I can remember would have been much before the issue arose.

Master

Very good then.  Let us know and thanks again for using Sprint.com Communities. 

Tom

Journeyman

From what it looks like after further testing, I have unistalling the apps I had before the issue arose, and I still seem to be receiving the error messages like 67 or a data roaming one which happens even while I am sitting still at my home. According to the sprint coverage map online, there is no data roaming spots around or within a couple blocks of my home, so I'm not sure what the issue would be.

I called sprint tech support, and they had me enter some hash code in my phone that later involved my MSL code. The action was to reactivate my phone to the network from what they had said, and a full system update (checking for android OS updates, Kyocera updates, updating my voice and data profile, and updating my PRL).

Everything seemed fine after the call, but as the days progressed I still had the error messages now and then or a drop in both data and voice coverage occur. It also seems to not be related to my location, as I have updated my PRL and profile when I leave my hometown, and the issues will arise at least two or three times a day. It isn't normally a long drop of coverage normally a minute or two, but its repetitiveness when using the phone makes it a little frustating.

Do you think my only option is a hard reset?

Thank you again for your help.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat