cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Were you able to update to 2.3.4 without any issue?

Journeyman

If so, when did you update?

AC adapter plugged in?

Did factory reset before updating?

When did you do the update?

Any issues after the update?

Thanks.

12 REPLIES 12
Journeyman

waic2330,

Yes I have upgraded. And, so far all is fine. See post from 8/17: http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/325892#325892

Android version 2.3.4

Kernal version 2.6.35.7

Build number GINGERBREAD

If so, when did you update? 8/17

AC adapter plugged in? No, but I did keep the USB cable plugged in to my computer

Did factory reset before updating? No

When did you do the update? 8/17

Any issues after the update? no

Journeyman

i was finally able to update after 3 trips to store, 5 phone calls to tech support, and 2nd replacement phone. Finally Gingerbread on my phone..

Journeyman

I have been trying since I got my Echo last week and it fails everytime wiht the 8507 Error.  I contacted Sprint and the tech I talked said that they have pulled the update again.  That confused me, becasue I seem to be able to download the update, it just error's out.  Getting a bit frustrated...I guess I could go to a Sprint Store and see what they can do.

Journeyman

There is something wrong with your device. Have you tried resetting it to factory default? If not try that under Settings and Privacy - Make sure you back up for data. After reset try again and try to do update via wifi and attached to ac adapter.  If that still doesn't work then head to the Sprint store for troubleshooting. If you do not have insurance they might charge you $35 for replacement which doesn't make any sense but if they insist then you might want to buy the insurance which is still opened for enrollment until end of August.

And NO they did not pull the update. I got that excuse many times and I contacted Kyocera and they said they didn't pull the update and Sprint store can manually install the update ( which they failed to twice). But after getting replacement phone it was able to update w/o any issue.  Good Luck.

Journeyman

WMC23, thanks for your input, but I have tried all what you have suggested except go to a Sprint store and see if they help.  Maybe I will head out at lunch and see what they can do.  Thanks Again.

Journeyman

I had the same problem right after I bought my phone. The initial activation/update doesn't give you the correct software version therefor you can't update (as a matter of fact when you try to update Android it tells you that the FIRMWARE update did not complete, error 8507). A very helpful tech (nestor @ sprint) walked me thru the reset but even that didn't work. took it to the store and exchanged for a new phone (with same problem). After ten tries and five techs I decided to leave it alone. Got it home, plugged it in the charger and did an Android update BUT DID NOT INSTALL IT< JUST SAVED IT. Of course when I went back to install it nothing happened. So I went back into the Android Update and started it again. THIS TIME IT WENT ALL THE WAY THROUGH to two reboots before giving me the notice of success. My advice is keep trying, I finally got mine to work at about 11 at night so it migh have something to to with network traffic. No clue. You won't be able to update to Android 3.0 just yet though. 2.3. Whatever youdo don't take it to a Sprint (or any other) repair store, its fixable without waiting days for your phone back.

You should have the following when done:

Software Version: 2.002SP

PRL Version: 60681

Android Version: 2.3.4

Baseband: 2.002

Kernel: 2.6.35.7-perf+release@release#1

Buildn number :GINGERBREAD

Journeyman

I have now been trying for 2 weeks, multiple times a day and still get the 8507 error every time.  Went to the Sprint store the other day and they said that they would need my phone for 2 hours.  I use my phone for work, so I left and just keep trying and hoping.

Journeyman

Well I gave up and turned my phone in for 2 hours for the local Sprint store to get looked at.  When I retuned they told me that they could not get it updated and then proceeded to tell me that a provisioning tower was accidentally knocked down and a lot of phones in the area were not getting updates...right!  When I asked how long it would be the tech was not sure.  I then told her that I had been trying for 2 weeks now, she had nothing to say, other than, just to keep trying.  I asked her if she could inject the update and she said no.  What a load of of....When I went in the other day they a Echo on display that was not updated.  I started the update...and when I went back today it was updated.

I will give it another week and then go back in...this is getting very frustrating.

Journeyman

I finally updated mine after 2 replacement phones.  My initial phone 8507'd, the second phone didn't even see the update, the third phone updated.  The hassle I had in between was to say the least a PITA.  The Sprint corporate store kept saying there was no new software and it was pulled on Aug 1, but this was on Aug 24, 14 days after Kyocera re-released the update.  It took a third party store rep to get me straight and tell me what was really going on.  The update is only OTA, the techs at the corporate store won't tell you that, if you have insurance try a third party store, see if they'll replace the phone with another and then try again.  Hope this helps.

Journeyman

Re: Were you able to update to 2.3.4 without any issue?

It does help...thanks...but the mere fact that Sprint themselves can't figure out what is going on is horrible.  And if there is something wrong with the phones, they should not be making you pay $35 for a replacement phone.  Instead they should be crediting ours accounts for the trouble we have all gone through.  Just my opinion.  If the Ech was a car, I would have slapped the Lemon Law on it 🙂

Journeyman

[RESOLVED]

Thanks to "BeaAurther" a Sprint Rep in Sprint forms, I was able to get my phone updated to Android 2.3.4.  He saw my post  and called my local Sprint Store to make sure they have the correct  equipment to do the update and then opened up a trouble ticket.  All I  had to do was walk in the store with the ticket number and voila!  2  hours later my phone was running 2.3.4 with all my data in tact.  So, if  you continue to get the 8507 error, take your phone to a Sprint Service  and Repair store and see if they can update your phone via the "Triage  Laptop".  If they have it in house, then they should be able to do it.

So far, my phone is running better than it ever did.  Battery life is a bit better, and it seems to run a little faster.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat