cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kyocera Hydro Vibe

0 Comments

I've been using the Kyocera Hydro Vibe for about four weeks. Overall I like the device and would recommend it to a certain audience. The main features that I like most are the "life proof" features, like being water resistant to a fair depth for a good amount of time, being dust and shock resistant, and having decent features for a very low out-of-pocket cost. I NEVER once worried about the physical care for my Hydro Vibe whether I was caught in the rain, riding my motorcycle (clamped to my handlebars) or accidentally dropped from my pocket while exiting my car.

I'll offer this caveat now: The right audience would be smartphone beginners, teens or tweens, those who work and play a lot outdoors in the elements, and those who have some sight impairment. It's not the right fit for smartphone power users, "edge" tech enthusiasts or those who want a "phablet" size device.

Despite it's small size, the Hydro Vibe packs a 4.5 inch display that's clear, bright and easy to read in almost all conditions. But even 4.5 inch displays can be a little difficult for some to read, especially when the text is small. The Hydro Vibe has built-in features and widgets that help you by quickly adjusting texts and fonts to larger sizes with the click of a button.

Launch the MagniFont app and you'll see a simple, one-button interface the enables (or disables) MagniFont. MagniFont makes text size larger and easier to read. While it can't make everything larger (graphics and apps), it does a good job of ratcheting up the menu and system font sizes without being ridiculous.

Screenshot_2014-06-26-15-01-51.png

The Hydro Vibe also has a feature called Magnification gestures. Magnification gestures allows you to zoom into the screen with a finger triple-tap. You can pan around or control the zoom level via finger "pinching" the screen.

Screenshot_2014-06-26-15-07-13.png

As of this writing, we are currently selling the Hydro Vibe for $29.99 on two-year contract or eligible upgrade agreement. That's a pretty sweet price for a fully functional Android smartphone that's also tough to weather, splashes, dunks, drops, dust and mishaps.

It's been a pleasure being part of our Kyocera Hydro Vibe launch team. Until next device,

Your Sprint Product Ambassadors

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity.

0 Comments

LiveMoreFearLess.PNG

The title of this photo says it all "Live more. Fear Less." and I have to say that it really delivers on that statement.

The KHV is a very solid device and I've really enjoyed using it over the last 5wks.

What I really liked about the KHV

• Fantastic battery life, I could easily go the entire day without having to worry about putting it on the charger
  • Water Resistant
  • Sonic Receiver - wow what an awesome feature, I was pretty amazed at how well I could hear even with lots of background noise
  • Clear/Crisp screen, easy to read outside
  • Camera, really impressed with the quality of photos the KHV takes up close (for more on the camera click here)

Things I didn't care for about the KHV (but not deal breakers)

• Larger screen, I'm so used to 5+ inch displays that the KHV feels small
  • When streaming iHeartRadio it would randomly cut off whereas other devices on the same network didn't have this issue
  • With the water resistant feature of the KHV I wish the back would lock in place like previous Kyocera devices would.

Overall the KHV is a wonderful does and gives you a lot of bang for the buck.

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. sprintemployee.

0 Comments

My son is 1 year old and, as I've mentioned before, we have a pool thus the wife and I thought it was time that he took baby survival swimming classes. These classes teach your child how to survive if they fall into a pool or another body of water. They go down face first, flip over, then float on their backs, keeping their heads above water, pushing themselves towards the sides of the pool, taking small rests in between to not get exhausted. These classes can potentially be a literal life saver, especially here in Florida.

We were are his 6th lesson last Monday and it occurred to me that I could take pictures and videos of his swimming from under the water, all due to the Kyocera Hydro Vibe's waterproofing! I asked the instructor if it was alright with him if I took some pictures from under the water and he thought it was the greatest idea ever. Unfortunately, it had just rained so my pants got soaking wet when I leaned down to take the pictures. lol (As I was outside of the pool.) The videos I won't show here because he is mostly crying in them. (It can safe his life but it's still scary for him to be in the water learning.)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/ivanmmj/KIMG0059.jpg

This was shortly before he successfully started floating on his own. Unfortunately, by that time, my soaking knees had gotten up on my feet.

All in all, if I want to catch him while he's floating on his own:

1. Bring Kyocera Hydro Edge (check)

2. Wear shorts (or rain coat pants) if it just rained (This is Florida, it ALWAYS just rained at 4PM.)

*For those wondering, it only took 4 lessons for him to start floating on his own. I'm hoping he'll be an expert swimmer by the time he's 3. Maybe then he can teach me a thing or two about swimming.

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. sprintemployee

0 Comments

I was driving around the streets of Miami and decided to see what kind of download

speeds I was dealing with down there. Turns out, they are pretty good! If this speedtest

is any indication, LTE deployment is making some serious progress down there. The

speed test was almost a month ago, so coverage has probably improved since then. 

It is nice to see that a budget phone does not mean a slow phone.

Screenshot_2014-06-05-20-28-20.png

If you still have not seen these types of speeds, don't worry! Network improvements continue

every day.

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. sprintemployee

0 Comments

It has been several weeks now.  And I must say this device has stood up to everything I can think to do with it.  It is a hardy device that is water resistant.  That leads to great ice breakers, and meetings timers.  Sure I have a few minutes, then dunk your phone in water and tell them they have 30 minutes of your time.  What I find even more impressive is the fact that even fuly submereged my mobile hotspot kept connected and I was able to surf internet and retrieve emails the entire time connected to a device submereged in water.

The device has a small compact form factor that makes it a comfort to car, not overly big and awkard as some devices are getting now days.  I will admit it is not a tier one flagship phone.  For its specs it is in my mind better.  Better ease of use, better feel of use, and really a better value.  this a great phone for mid level emplotyees a a company that need to stay in touch via direct connect and email.  It has all the functionality of a high end smart phone with out the bells and whistles that raise up the price.

All in all I enjoy this little work horse and recommend it as an option for buisness and personal use alike.  It is hardy, water prof, snappy, has access to Sprint Spark speeds, Direct connect, and the entirety of the Google Playstore at your fingertips.

Take a chance and enjoy this phone.

-Jeremy The Product Ninja

0 Comments

After over five weeks using the  Kyocera Hydro Vibe I can say it's a durable device, the water proofing and impact resistance screen makes this a pretty good device for anyone. It seem to only take a plug in charge with the charger the device came with, I have not been able to use a  universal plug in charger, but once charged the device will stay charged for over 24 hours before needing to be recharge which is a great battery life, it also comes with PMA enabled (Power Matter Alliance) for no cord charring, simple set the device on a charge pad which is sole separately.

Now my only issue with the Kyocera Hydro Vibe is taking Videos, it's a hit or miss. Over the weekend I took the device to a concert and was only able to get one good video (the file is too large to upload however the sound was amazing, wish I was able to share it)  the others came out with stat and rolling very slowly frames however all  the still pictures came out  perfect, not bad for a low cost device. With Smart Sonic technology I was able to receive calls and heard the caller as if no one was in the room with me and there were over 2500 people and loud music in the background, very impressed.  Now what makes this device stand out to me is that it work on the Sprint Spark network at speed like  I get with my home ISP, the Kyocera Hydro Vibe works for me in areas that  I've never had service at before. The Kyocera Hydro Vibe has direct talk and everything you would expect to see in flagship devices, it's durable and at a great price !!!!

facebook_-994144248.jpg

mills505448792.jpg

picture of recording artist Stephanie Mills.

“Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.”

0 Comments

I've had this device for over a month now and I must say, I'm still very impressed. This phone does everything a well known smarth phone can do and a fraction of the cost, all while keeping its rugged qualities the brand is known for. Its almost puzzling why every other smartphone manufacturer doesn't take note and at least have a rugged option for their customers. Kyocera has figured out a way to pack all the specs you could want and protect it from just about any accident that plagues other smartphones today. I can't wait to see more Kyocera phones in the future and I look forward to experiencing the devices that build on this wonderful iteration of the Hydro line. Here is a quick review by CNET showing off the amazing waterproof feature (my favorite feature of course!)

Sprint's Kyocera Hydro Vibe is made for hydrophiles - YouTube

I hope you all enjoyed following my experience with the Kyocera Hydro Vibe. For more information on this phone you can visit: Kyocera Hydro Vibe

- Your Product Ambassador Team

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.

0 Comments

impact.png

The Kyrocera Hydro Vibe is a great phone,  If I only listed features included in the phone and never told you the brand you would think it was a high end device with a large price tag!  But that's where Kyrocera is different not only does it have innovated smart sonic receiver, wireless charging capabilities, impact resistant 4.5" HD screen, Quad core processor, water proof and its all at a low cost.  This is a great phone it can hang with the best phones out there and yet it still only cost a fraction of what a high end devices cost.  This phone is perfect for anyone that wants a smart phone that can take abuse whether its a teenager, mom, dad, grandparents or construction worker  this phone is all around an amazing device. 

My favorite part of this phone is it being water proof! I am not a big picture taker but I take more pictures with this phone then any other device and there all underwater!

hydro-vibe-vmu-splash.jpg

Thanks for reading have a good day!

“Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.”

5 Comments

DISCLAIMER: THE CAMERA WAS NOT DESIGNED TO TAKE PICTURES UNDERWATER, SO

I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND DOING IT...

That said, it does work.

This is my girlfriend helping me with the test:

KIMG0015.jpg

KIMG0016.jpg

and this is just a picture underwater:

KIMG0013.jpg

As you can see, the camera works quite well under water, but this was just me being brave with the phone.

Please note that only the physical buttons will work underwater. The screen was not meant to be used

under those conditions. Moreover, the waterproof nature of the phone does not mean it is meant to be

used as an underwater camera, so you may damage it in the long run. If you REALLY want to use it

underwater, I would recommend just leaving the video recorder on.

Please remember that, if used in salt water, you should immediately rinse the phone off with fresh water to

prevent any corrosion.

Share you Hydrated Hydro Vibe experiences below!

0 Comments

As some of you have seen from my previous blog posts, I have a pool at my house that badly needs to be resurfaced. This does not mean that the pool is not still usable. Being that I live in Florida, this means that my pool can get used almost year long. That being said, I am, for all intent and purposes, a Floridian. I moved to Florida over 12 years and during that time I have partially developed an aversion to being cold. Mind you, though, I only ever get cold under two conditions: If I'm falling asleep/just woke up and if I'm wet. The rest of that time, I keep my house at a cool 73 degrees fahrenheit. (My wife keeps it at around 76 degrees while I'm away from home.)

As you can imagine, this causes an issue when I:

1. have just woken up/am falling asleep outside of my bedroom.
  2. have just finished taking a shower.
  3. have just come inside from being in the warm pool. (The Florida sun keeps that pool nice and toasty.)

Luckily, as a house warming present, my brother-in-law bought us a Nest Thermostat. For those who have not heard of the Nest, it is a smart, learning thermostat.

http://cdn1.vox-cdn.com/entry_photo_images/6834997/DSC_7066_verge_medium_landscape.jpg

Image Source: The Verge

This thing is nice. It automatically learns our schedule and adapts to it. Alas, talking about its features would be a blog post in itself. Let's just focus on one of the features. This thermostat can be controlled from any internet browser and through native iOS and Android apps.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/ivanmmj/Screenshot_2014-06-19-15-25-18.png

You can view and control the thermostat from anywhere. You can see that my wife is home right now and I'm not. (76 degrees)

You may be asking, what does this have to do with the Kyocera Hydro Vibe? Everything! You see, in the past, if I was at the pool and wanted to come in to the freezing house just to grab something sitting close to the door,I would either have to freeze or I would have to completely dry off BEFORE touching my phone to bring up the house's temperature. By that point, my body dry so that there was no point in touching the house's temperature. Unfortunately, it was either that or risk damaging my phone.

Now, with the Kyocera Hydro Vibe, as the phone is water proof, I can reach for the phone and change the house's temperature while I am still in the pool. So there is no need to completely dry off while I'm outside anymore. In fact, if I need to bolt inside to check on something with the intent of coming back outside, I can remotely turn off the vents so that they aren't blowing freezing air at me, run inside, quickly do whatever it is that I need to do, then go back to the pool.

0 Comments

camera.jpg

Had a fun scenario last weekend with my Kyocera Hydro Vibe. I had just mowed the lawn in the summer heat of Florida and decided it would be great to jump in the pool real quick to cool off. Forgetting I had my phone in my pocket streaming to my Harmon Kardon Onyx in the back yard. As I jumped, realizing mid air it's to late to pull my phone out of my pocket. Hitting the water and quickly came back up, I noticed my music was still streaming while my phone was under water. Then it hit me, I didn't have to worry I have the Hydro Vibe! Its funny I still have to remind myself because Kyocera is the only manufacture really taking water resistance serious. Other competitors are doing it but Kyocera is definitely leading the way. I couldn't believe as I was floating around in the pool my bluetooth connection to my speaker was never interrupted. It was so nice not having to worry about my phone getting wet or leaving it inside and missing an important call. It was a fun care free experience that I believe Kyocera is aiming for with their phones. The days are numbered when we have to baby our phones so they don't break or get a little wet, and I'm happy Kyocera is leading the charge in this. The Hydro Vibe proves you can have a great looking feature rich durable phone!

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.

0 Comments

The Kyocera Hydro Vibe is low-end smartphone from Sprint and Kyocera. Sprint is selling it right now for $0 down and $9.59/month or $29.99 with a new two-year contract.

Now who said you get what you pay for?

With the Kyocera Hydro Vibe you get:

1.     Water proof device

only if my brother had the Kyocera Hydro Vibe he would not had to replace his high in device when he was talking on it in the rain and it stop working from water damage.

2.     Impact resistant touchscreen

Now how many phones out here that can take a fall and still have the touchscreen intact?  Not many, none that I’ve had before. Only if my sister in-law had the Kyocera Hydro Vibe she would not had to replace her high end phone after dropping it while talking to my brother while he was on his phone in the rain.(ture store).

hydro vibe.png

3.     Smart Sonic Sound

With Kyocera Hydro Vibe the entire display vibrates to transmit sound from the other party using both sound and waves and vibration, the display is the speaker so you dont have to leave a loud

noisy room to hear.

Kyocera Hydro Vibe has an 8-megapixel main camera with LED flash and HDR/panorama shooting mode, and has a 2-megapixel user-facing camera.

The Kyocera Hydro Vibe also offers NFC, wireless charging, 8GB of internal storage, and support for memory cards up to 32GB. Kyocera Hydro Vibe is compatible with Sprint Spark in markets where available.

Now back to my question with the Kyocera Hydro Vibe you get what you paid for and a lot more.

0 Comments

Kyocera Hydro Vibe Has Sprint Direct Connect!

Kyocera Hydro Vibe is a durable water resitant phone.  With a snappy processor, 1.5 Gbs of Ram, 8gbs of internal storage Currently on Android Jelly Bean.  It has access to Sprint Spark where availble. 4.5 Inch screen with multi touch point touch screen.  8MP Camera rear facing.

Water Resistant - up to 3 feet for up to 30 minutes - I mean WOW? Drop it in a puddle pick it up shake it off, dry the scren and go back to work.

Life Resistant - Impact resitant Screen keeps out lifes bumps and bruises. 

Employee Ready - ECOMode, and MaxiMZR - Both enable longer life battery for all work day long support. Email for work coorespondence.

Smart Sonic Reciever - Smart Sonic receiver transmits sound through vibrations on your phone’s display screen. Place your ear around the internal receiver and adjust the position of the phone to find the best hearing point depending on the surrounding environment.  Remember our Helicopter Commericial? (Link) Well this is the same technology in a new phone.

Sprint Direct Connect - a Service from Sprint that Allows direct connection via push button walkie talkie style for business and personal use.  On the business side, this application puts employees or teams together with one tocuh style response.  Need to call an emergency meeting, press the button to alert the entire team.  Worried about someone being on the far end of the job site alone.  Now they are never more than a app away from calling for assisstnce or emergency help.  With group management you can have an organized conversation with multiple people but easily reach only the people you want to reach.  you can set permenant groups, or create a new one on the fly for that brand new temporary team you are working with.

All in all this is a great replacement device for older Business devices that need a more durable device but still want to feel like they are just carrying a phone.

Jeremy - Product Ambassador

0 Comments

Another reason as if you needed more to get the Kyocera Hydro Vibe is their Smart Sonic technology.

Ever stand in a crowded room, put your index finger in one ear and press the phone into your other ear?

I know you have done this, I know I have.

Kyocera's smart sonic technology make it so that you do no have to do this anymore.

Now you wont have to move to a quieter area, or have to wipe off that ear wax from you index finger.

The Kyocera Hydro Vibe has a ceramic piezoelectric actuator that takes the place of a phone's speaker to let listeners hear phone calls in even the loudest environments.

The Kyocera emits sound without speakers, see below

illustration.gif

image courtsey of http://www.androidauthority.com/smart-sonic-technology-255446/

For those who work outside in construction or other jobs with helmets you wont need to take it off in order to use the phone.

I tried it at my desk with my co workers football helmet and it works fine.

So not only is this phone rugged, water proof, and reasonably priced, it lets you actually hear your calls in any enviroment.

KIMG0003.jpg

Thanks

Stanny George

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. sprintemployee.”

0 Comments

KHV_Grass.JPG

I've had the KHV for about four weeks now. What a great device and for the price you just can't beat it. Even though it's considered a mid-range device it's quite snappy and you'll have no problems loading any launcher or game or watching netflix. The quad-core processor will have you covered. So far I've loaded 4 different launchers on the device (SPB Shell, Nova Launcher, ADW, & Solo Launcher). I'm not sure which one I'll stick with yet but they all run great and I have yet to experience any lag or issues with the KHV running these.

Battery Life

I'm also very happy with this device and the battery life on it. I'm getting around 15hrs of use on a single charge with it, which is great that I can go the entire day without having to worry about charging it.

Camcorder

I'm also impressed that I can record in 1080p, Here's a great video of what life is like in the summer here in FL, usually the same time every day and after it's over it clears right up as if nothing ever happened. The KHV is one device that I don't need to worry about getting wet so filming these types of conditions I don't have to worry if the device gets soaked!

Here's also a couple of reviews regarding the KHV. If you have a tween or teen and looking for an inexpensive phone for them you can't go wrong with the this device.

CNET

The Good Sprint's Kyocera Hydro Vibe is affordable on contract, it's water resistant, and it has a few nifty software features for first-time smartphone users.

TechnoBuffalo

If you’re looking for a budget-friendly phone that can still take a beating Kyocera has your back.

Android Headline

As far as a smartphone that’s available for $30 on a new contract, this is probably one of your better choices out there, especially on Sprint.

0 Comments

pma-charging.jpg

photo credit: Kyocera

Come enjoy your coffee, no wires required.

Forbes.com recently posted the following article:

Starbucks Could Finally Make Wireless Charging Mainstream

"Now that Starbucks is rolling out Duracell Powermat wireless charging stations... You will be able to benefit from the wireless charging capability while hanging out at Starbucks. More importantly, the fact that there is a Starbucks every 500 feet—and those Starbucks will have wireless charging stations—means that if you’re equipped with the ability to charge your device wirelessly using Duracell Powermat, you are virtually assured that you’ll be able to find somewhere to stop in and charge it on the go."

If you read the Forbes.com article you'll get a sense of the struggle going on in the wireless charging "universe." Currently there are two major standards; Qi (chee) and PMA (Power Matters Alliance). Both are wireless charging technologies that operate in a similar manner but are not cross-compatible. Both have major backing sponsors who want their technology to "win." That said, some tech experts feel that Qi is "the gold standard" and PMA will die quickly. Starbucks just changed all that.

Regardless, owners of the Kyocera Hydro Vibe need not worry. And they need not be bothered to bring a charger or cables with them to Starbucks.

The Kyocera Hydro Vibe supports and is ready for PMA wireless charging out of the box. So if you're headed to a neighborhood Starbucks for an afternoon book club discussion, feel confident that you won't be left with a dead device even if you chat the day away over your favorite brew.

Until next time,

Your Sprint Product Ambassadors

0 Comments

impact.png

Lets start with the Hardware, you have a, Quad core 1.2 GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon 400, The Memory, 1.5 GB of RAM, Decent specs for a mid range phone and you still cant beat the price for all of the features, 4.5 impact-resistant capacitive touchscreen, water proof, NFC, Wireless charging capability, and the sonic receiver.  There are some features here that your high end devices dont have!  I ran a quadrant score and AnTuTu benchmark test that test the cpu ram and graphics capabilities on the phone and ranks them among other devices that are out there.  For a mid-range phone its fairing very well and ranks this phone with 10 of the high end phones from last year.

First picture is the Vibe on quadrant benchmark, Second is the Vibe on the AnTuTu bencmark,  Third is my Htc M8 on Quadrant (now the M8 is on the top of the AnTuTu score as well over all available phones)

Screenshot_2014-06-13-08-41-20.pngScreenshot_2014-06-13-08-51-34.pngScreenshot_2014-06-13-08-43-33.png

0 Comments

The Hydro Vibe is advertised as being waterproof for 30 minutes at 1m of water, but is it really? Yes!

I went on a cruise recently and made it a point to do "fake" drop test into the water. 

Please note: If you are dipping this thing in Salt Water, make sure to rinse off with fresh water as soon

as possible to avoid corrosion. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2w66kQ-XYg&feature=youtu.be

As you can see, the device was so unscathed, it almost didn't look like it was actually

under water. The video recording is impressive, considering the price point, and being

able to take it to a pool or the beach without worrying about bricking my phone if I forget

it in my pocket while going for a swim is a big perk.

Have you water tested your phone? Feel free to share your experience below.

0 Comments

Its been a solid 5 to 6 years since the heavy hitting smartphones came out that means that Americans have been taking photos for the same amount of time.

What happens to these photos, does it go to a folder on your computer only to be buried for years to come?

Well Groovebook is here to help out with that.

As seen on Sharktank, Groovebook is a subscription based software which for a measly $2.99 a month you can finally save all those memories that you create with your phone.

groovebook-300x225.jpg

Here is how it works, you can upload 100 photos a month to groovebook then will create a beautiful 4.5" x 6.5" photobook and mail it to you monthly.

Photos are printed on glossy photo paper and are perforated for easy removal.

There are no contractual no commitments to  groovebook, so you can cancel at anytime.

I was able to download the app to my wife's phone sign in with my account and upload photos from her library as well.

Groovebook-a-must-have-smartphone-app.jpg

Don't let those moments get lost, pick out the gems and keep them safe.

Here is the google playstore link.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.photoupload&hl=en_GB

Stanny George

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. sprintemployee.”

0 Comments

I live in Florida. If there is one constant about life in Florida, it's the fact that, between June and October, it rains. In fact, it rains almost daily and it's a heavy rain. 70 percent of our year's rain falls during this time. Needless to say, if you need a camera during those months, you better bring a water proof case. If you need a smart device... well, just stay inside. That is unless you have a Kyocera Hydro Vibe. Here are two fun scenarios:

1. Having a pool in Florida is a double edged sword. It's hot throughout most of the year which means you can get a lot of fun out of it. Unfortunately, it's hot most of the year long which means you have to keep an eye on it and clean it often to prevent it from turning into a frog infested green swamp in a week. This only gets worse during the rainy season as the rain water further dilutes the chemicals in the pool and also brings out more frogs to enjoy the pool water. Rain or sun shine, you HAVE to keep an eye on that pool and make sure it stays pristine. For those of you who have small children, the best time to do this is when they are napping (unless your significant other happens to be there at the time.) Luckily, I have an IP camera installed in the baby's room. In the middle of the rain, I can to go out there with my trusty rain coat/suit, prop the phone up in my [non-electronic] phone stand, and keep an eye (and ear) on the baby while I clean the pool. If the baby starts stirring, I'll be inside before he is fully woken up.

Here's a screenshot of the app I use (taken without the baby in the crib):

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/ivanmmj/Screenshot_2014-06-10-13-12-07.png

(The app I'm using is called "Camera Viewer for Foscam".)

2. Heavy rain can be pretty at times or right down scary. The idea of being able to record your child dancing in the rain is one that many parents could not fanthom unless they were carrying an umbrella. Unless you have the Kyocera Hydro Vibe. While I did not allow my son to dance in the rain (he just learned how to walk and would end up sitting in the rain where the rain coat would be useless), at least I have the option as he gets older. Furthermore, if another massive storm comes in, like the many hurricanes of the past, I can record it all from outside. (As long as it's safe.)

Here is a vide of me recording the rain. I apologize for the blurriness as the camera lense was smudged by me a few seconds before starting that video.

I'm thinking, next time I'm going to set up the tri-pod, lock it into place, then take a time lapse video outside. (For those of you who have not read my last Kyocera Hydro Vibe blog, this phone has a built in time lapse recorder!)

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity.

0 Comments

With possibly, a bit of genius, I foreshadowed an incident in my first blog which occurred over the weekend….

My kids must have heard that my new Kyocera Hydro Vibe is waterproof. In disbelief and skepticism, they decided to put the claim to the test. Despite his young age (almost 2yrs old) my son crafted a rather complex experiment, no doubt with the help of his twin sister as she’s the “brains” of many operations concocted by the two. The experiment consisted of:

1.       a Kyocera Hydro Vibe

2.       a set of toddle lego-type blocks

3.       a distracted father (very important to the success of the experiment)

4.       a toilet

5.       a semi closed bathroom door.

I haven’t been able to get them to disclose all of the details, but the plot went something like this. My daughter brought me a structure of large blocks the two had been working on for about two whole minutes without fighting over them. I was admiring it while my son grabbed my phone. It is not uncommon for him to do so, and I have it password locked so I’m not too afraid of them playing with it.

Barely noticing my son’s acquisition of my phone, I began asking my daughter questions about the color scheme for the structure...

me: “Do you know this color?”
Her: “PURPLE!!”
me: “that’s right! Great job!”

I heard a loud bang from behind me. I immediately knew what the sound was, and raced toward the bathroom to find the toilet seat closed and my son standing next to it staring at me expectantly. I took a deep breath, and fished my phone from the water. I rinsed the device off and dried it with a towel. Thankfully they had chosen to experiment with my Kyocera Hydro Vibe, and not my wife’s phone.

The phone is alive and well today, and working with no issues! Can you say your device would do the same?

Thanks for reading, For more info on the Hydro Vibe visit Kyocera Hydro Vibe

- Your Product Ambassador Team

0 Comments

The Kyocera Hydro Vibe after having the device for over three weeks, I'm really enjoying the speed on the Sprint Spark network, yes Kyocera Hydro Vibe was built to work on Sprint's Spark network and I just happen to live in the market were it has been released, the first thing my husband said when he used the device was WOW this thing is fast and I simply said it the Sprint Spark!!  Check out the speed test results:

Download

20.29Mb/s

Upload

5.96Mb/s

Ping

Device

Server

DALLAS, TX

Kyocera Hydro Vibe come with all the Apps and feature you would see in a higher end device, plus it has direct connect which a lot of the newer devices don't have making it great for any job site, (it's doesn't come preloaded you will need to down load a app to use the Direct Connect feature).  It comes preloaded with Next Radio it also has a cool feature to take great Panorama picture  and it's easy to use,  just focus on what you want to capture and follow the red line.

20140610_103921.jpg

and once done you get a perfect Panorama picture.

2014-06-10_10-32-24.jpg

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.”

0 Comments

services_hero_dc_340x340.jpg

The Kyocera Hydro Vibe has all the features plus one. The plus one being Sprint Direct connect capabilities. Sprint direct connect is a huge business companion for several sprint customers in the service industry. Visiting my local Toyota dealership I discovered they use sprint direct connect and I was amazed how essential it was to their business. Sitting there waiting for my wife's car for warranty maintenance, the receptionist used direct connect to get in touch with the local mechanic to bring the car up to the office door. The process took about 8 seconds. It was so simple and fast to get the task at hand done. They didn't have to place a call, that would take much longer. That is just one super useful aspect of direct connect.The personal side is just as relevant for communication. I have used it several times with my family when I need to communicate something as fast as possible. Sprint is currently upgrading the SDC network and making huge strides to have more than three times the coverage that Nextel offered. I have provided a screen shot below of the progress sprint is making in SDC.

sdc.PNG

0 Comments

waterproof.jpgI have had this phone for a couple weeks now and i can honestly say this budget phone has features that higher end devices need! The water proof feature should be on every phone made by now!  Its just smart it saves customers headaches, savings on insurance, and device repairs,  Many accidents with smartphones are from water or dropping the phone, these issues would not happen if every phone came waterproofed and impact resistant smart screen.   This phone has it all great performance and still manages to keep the cost low. one of the cool features that the last 2 Kyrocera phones I have used has is the lockscreen feature. It has great functionality on the device, you can setup your own lock screen style, the lock screen allows you to set where the location of the apps are on the screen or how many apps you want to have on the screen, or just have the plain lock feature, how to get there go to settings/security/lockscreen/flick, and from there it starts the customization process.

Screenshot_2013-08-09-09-00-14.pngScreenshot_2013-08-09-09-02-25.pngScreenshot_2013-08-09-09-02-59.png

Thanks for reading have a good day!

0 Comments

hydro1.jpg

Customization is at the heart of what makes Android such a great operating system.

Whether talking about developer optimizations, or just being able to tweak the amount

of home screens the phone has, the open source nature of Android gives limitless

possibilities to what you can (theoretically) do. The good news is that you do not have to

be developer to use some of the stock customization features on the Kyocera Hydro Vibe.

Here are a few that stood out:

1. Change the amount of home screens you have

If you "pinch" on any home screen (as if you were zooming out of a picture), you can

add or remove them at your leisure. This is great if you prefer to use less than the

stock 5 that come pre-set. To add one, just touch the "+" sign. To remove one,

simply touch and hold the one(s) you want removed, then drag them to the "Remove"

icon that pops up at the top of the screen.

2. Customize shortcuts on your Lock Screen

I do not personally use this, simply because I like a very clear/simplistic lock screen,

but I can definitely see the appeal. You can choose shortcuts to launch applications

right from the lock screen, depending on how you decide to "unlock" it. If you

decided not to do it when you first turned on the phone, or simply to want to change

them to something else, go to settings, and under the "personal" section, select

lock screen, select swipe settings, and you can change it there.

3. Change your app drawer from the normal alphabetical to whatever you want!

This one caught me off guard when I was trying to drag an icon to the home screen.

Simply long press an icon and drag it anywhere you want in the app drawer. This

can come in handy to position apps you use all the time before others, which means

the option of less clutter on the home screen.

4. Easy mode view

This one is good for users not too familiar with smartphones (e.g. myFirstPhone preteen,

grandma, etc). If you go to settings, then press Home Mode, you can toggle from the

Easy mode view to Standard View, and back! Although it essentially lowers the

functionality of the homescreen, all the important stuff is on there, making it easier to

manage for the inexperienced or the visually impaired.

Have any favorites you want to share? Feel free to post below.

0 Comments

As one of the original PA with the Hydro Edge, I was pretty impressed. Now, that I have the Vibe there are some key differences that I am impressed with and I have labeled them with the yellow highlight below. Thanks to Phone Scoop. They had a nice comparison chart I could use to get into the Vibe of comparing. You can access those links below.

http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=4453

http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=4131

Phone

Kyocera Hydro Edge

Kyocera Hydro Vibe

Current U.S. Carriers

Boost MobileSprint

SprintVirgin Mobile

Global Availability

Released

Released

1. Avg. User Rating
  2. 4.5User Reviews
  5User Reviews

Specifications

Modes

CDMA 800
CDMA 850
CDMA 1900

CDMA 800
CDMA 850
CDMA 1900
LTE 850
LTE 1900
LTE 2500

Weight

1. 4.5 oz(128g)
  2. 4.9 oz(139g)
  Dimensions
  1. 4.9" x 2.5" x 0.39"(124 x 64 x 9.9 mm)
  2. 5.02" x 2.5" x 0.43"(128 x 64 x 10.9 mm)
  Form Factor

Bar

Bar

Battery Life

Talk: 13 hr
Standby: 180 hr
(7.5 days)

Talk: 14 hr
Standby: 193 hr
(8 days)

Battery Size

1600 mAh

2000 mAh

Battery Style

Removable

Removable

Display Type & Resolution

LCD (Color TFT/TFD)
480 x 800 pixels
Colors: 16.7 million (24-bit)

LCD (Color TFT/TFD)
540 x 960 pixels

Display Size

4"

1. 4.5"

Platform / OS

Android

Android

Processor

1 GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Plus MSM8627

1. 1.2 GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon 400 MSM8926
  Memory, Internal Storage

4 GB raw hardware
2 GB available to user

8 GB raw hardware
4.4 GB available to user

RAM

1 GB

1. 1.5 GB

SIM card size

?

Micro (3FF)

Kyocera Hydro Edge

Kyocera Hydro Vibe

Features

Flashlight

-

Yes

GPS / Location

Yes

Yes

NFC

-

Yes

Ruggedized

Yes

Yes

Wireless Charging

-

Yes *

Accessibility

Adjustable Text Size

Yes

Yes

Hearing Aid Compatible

Yes
M4, T4 (very tele-coil compatible)

Yes
M4, T3 (mostly tele-coil compatible)

Multiple Languages

Yes

Yes

TTY/TDD (Digital)

Yes

Yes

Alerts

Vibrate

Yes

Yes

Connectivity

Bluetooth

Yes

Yes

Mobile Hotspot

Yes *

Yes

USB

Yes

Yes

Wi-Fi

Yes

Yes

Contacts

Multiple Numbers per Name

Yes

Yes

Picture ID

Yes

Yes

Ringer ID

Yes

Yes

Voice Dialing

Yes
Speaker-independent (automatic)

Yes
Speaker-independent (automatic)

Customization

Custom Graphics

Yes

Yes

Custom Ringtones

Yes

Yes

Real-Music Ringers

Yes

Yes

Data & Network

Data Tethering

Yes *

Yes

Flight Mode

Yes

Yes

High-Speed Data

Yes
EVDO rA

Yes
LTE (Cat 3)

WAP / Web Browser

Yes

Yes

Input

Predictive Text Entry

Yes

Yes

Side Keys

Yes

Yes

Touch Screen

Yes
Capacitive

Yes
Capacitive

Memory

Memory Card Slot

Yes

Yes

Messaging

Email Client

Yes

Yes

Instant Messaging

Yes

Yes

MMS

Yes

Yes

Text Messaging (SMS)

Yes
Threaded

Yes
Threaded

Text Messaging Templates

-

Yes

Music

Headphone Jack (3.5mm)

Yes

Yes

Music Player

Yes

Yes

Photo & Video

Camera

Yes
5+ megapixel

Yes
8+ megapixel

Front-Facing Camera

-

Yes

Miracast

-

Yes

Streaming Video

Yes

Yes

Video Capture

Yes
720p HD

Yes
1080p HD

Productivity

Alarm

Yes

Yes

Calculator

Yes

Yes

Calendar

Yes

Yes

Voice Memo

Yes

Yes

Software

Games

Yes

Yes

Voice

HD Voice

Yes

Yes

Speaker Phone

Yes

Yes

Product Ambassador team!

0 Comments

The Hydro Vibe joined me for the last few weeks in my quest to go from the shape of round to one less defined by modern geometery.  I have had this phone since the start of the corporate get fit initative. It has allowed me to sync and track my workouts and activities.  In this endeavour it was able to pair with my Pear  Bluetooth Smart Heart Monitor.  This helps me stay in my perfect heart rate state while I am running, jogging, or walking.....Mostly Walking.  As well I sync my Activity monitor also an accessory availble within the Sprint Store.

With the Runtastic set of apps it helps me keep track of the different challenges I have set for myself.

100 Pushups - Not Quite there but still progressing, nice to be able to keep track, felt quite pathetic when I started with 4, but I am now to 30 straight....Go ME.

100 Situps -Not quite there but still progressing Started this at 20, now up to 40

30 Pullups - LOL not really progressing here, it is hard to pull my extra weight that high of the ground, I am already six foot four, how much higher am I trying to pull 380 pounds?

Interval Running - This program combines my stored music with timed Intervals that make me run.....Evil app....But needed, for those of use that routinely are Organically Green(Lazy)

I love the fact that the device is waterproof, when I am out and about I do not have to worry about letting it get hit by the Sprinklers, leaving it near the pool and getting splashed. It is rugged and tough, and ina  small enough form factor that it will easily fit into my neoproene arm sleeve.  Do I think the Vibe is solely responsible for my progress....No.  Though it has helped to keep me active, entertained, and on task....So in that way it has aided my progress in ways that I was not expecting.

Jeremy - Product Ambassador

a.      “Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.”

0 Comments

It's been a solid 5 to 6 years since the heavy hitting smartphones came out, that means that Americans have been taking photos for the same amount of time.

What happens to these photos, does it go to a folder on your computer only to be buried for years to come?

Well Groovebook is here to help out with that.

As seen on Sharktank, Groovebook is a subscription based software which for a measly $2.99 a month you can finally save all those memories that you create with your phone.

Groovebook-a-must-have-smartphone-app.jpg

Here is how it works, you can upload 100 photos a month to groovebook then will create a beautiful 4.5" x 6.5" photobook and mail it to you monthly.

Photos are printed on glossy photo paper and are perforated for easy removal.

There are no contractual committments to groovebook, cancel at anytime.

I was able to download the app to my wife's phone sign in with my account and upload photos from her library as well.

groovebook-300x225.jpg

Dont let those moments get lost, pick out the gems and keep them safe.

Here is the google playstore link.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.photoupload&hl=en_GB

0 Comments

VirginM.JPG

Virgin Mobile Customers

Kyocera Hydro Vibe will be available beginning Tuesday, May 27, on www.virginmobileusa.comfor $149.99. All of Virgin Mobile’s smartphones can be paired with Virgin Mobile's Beyond Talk™No-Contract plans with unlimited 3G data, and available 4G LTE data speeds for mobile phone service, including Android™-powered smartphones. Virgin Mobile Beyond Talk monthly unlimited data and messaging plans, which start at $35, are ideal for those smartphone users hungry for the most connectivity and the least amount of voice minutes.

Sprint Newsroom

Great news for Virgin Mobile customers! The KHV is great device and packs quite a big punch in a small package. Glad to see it's available on Virgin Mobile!

Features.JPG

specs.JPG

0 Comments

The Good/ Sprint's Kyocera Hydro Vibe is affordable, it's water resistant, and it has a few nifty software features for first-time smartphone users.

The Bad/ the camera's problems with focus resulted in blurry photos,

For those who have met the unfortunate fate of being thrown into a pool with your smartphone in your pocket, the water-resistant Kyocera Hydro Vibe is reasonably affordable, and peace of mind isn't just limited to pool parties. A device like this would come in handy when you're cooking in the kitchen, or hanging around a beach.

Unfortunately, despite excelling at being water-resistant, the Hydro Vibe struggles with key features. Its 8-megapixel camera is mediocre and has a difficult time steadying its focus.

The 8-megapixel camera's photo quality was inconsistent.  Most of the time, the lens had a difficult time focusing. Even after I tapped the screen multiple times to enable touch-to-focus, the camera never quite locked onto any object, which resulted in extremely blurry shots. On the occasions that it did manage to focus, photos were still some what disappointing however for the price of the device I wouldn't complain. Pictures had a tendency to contain a lot of overblown lighting, especially with outdoor shots. With indoor scenery, colors looked muted and flat. For more on the phone's photo quality, check out the pictures below:

KIMG0009.jpgKIMG0010.jpgKIMG0013.jpg2014-05-17_16-51-40 (3).jpgpanorama shoot

Both the rear and front-facing cameras have several editing features like five white-balance options, three exposure settings, a meter to adjust brightness, and three quality levels. They also have a self-timer, geotagging, and a compositional grid option, and they can record video in two formats with the option of audio muting.

It has seven shooting modes, including HDR, panorama, and continuous shooting, while the front-facing shooter has only four. It has an additional meter to adjust contrast, and one more ISO level (bringing the total to five). The rear camera can take photos up to eight sizes (ranging from 640x480 to 3,264x2, 448-pixels) while the front only has four, (and reaches as high as 1,600x1, 200-pixels). It also can record up to six resolutions (from MMS to 1080pHD), in comparison to the front, which can shoot three sizes, at 720p.

Finally, the rear shooter has a flash and digital zoom, six scene modes, four focus settings (like macro and auto), blink detection, and time lapse.

(Josh Miller's review from /CNET )

http://www.cnet.com/products/kyocera-hydro-vibe/