cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

9/27 Firmware Update, no service?

Highlighted
Journeyman

9/27 Firmware Update, no service?

Standard start, here : been a longtime customer of Sprint, generally happy with the service I've had over the years.  But this one's got me knackered up.

On the 27th, my Torque went through the process of updating itself, but when it powered back on, it is unable to find service.  "No network connection."  I've also gotten messages that "the SIM card has locked, try power cycling the device".  You might guess that did not fix the issue.  I've been to the Sprint store, but after fiddling with the device and taking it to the tech guy in the back room, all Sarah could tell me is that it was a 'known issue' and they would need to get me a new phone.  I'm not really in a good place to be paying $80 for a new phone right now - and this issue is preventing me from getting interview callbacks.  :c  On the other hand, I am due for a phone upgrade on November 1, 2014.  But that is still a month away.

So my questions: What exactly is this 'known issue'?  (My husband has the same model of phone, I can't have both of them down.)  What can I do to fix it?  A software update broke the thing, so I imagine a software update can fix it.  (But I cannot connect to the network.  Oi.)

|| I have tried ||
- Power cycling, multiple times
- Re-seating the SIM card

- Doing a factory reset

- Having the device checked at the local store

10 REPLIES 10
Master

Re: 9/27 Firmware Update, no service?

Jenna.R,

I am sorry to hear that the software update has caused you these problems. In order to get a look into your account could you please send me a private message? Please follow this link - - in order to get the instructions and the information needed. I would like to look into your account to see what we can get completed for you.

- Bran
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

Uhm.  Thank you, Bran, for replying.  More than happy to convey that information, although it seems that the 'link' is actually an empty space.  *chuckle*  Happens to me all the time when I'm typing and intend to insert a link afterward.  I have sent the SprintCare account a private message - though it seems like the account is shared quite a bit.

-Jenna

Master

Jenna.R,

Thank you for sending us a PM as Bran requested. Please look for our reply shortly.

Sincerely,

KC
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

Just to button this up - as of October 3rd, 2014, there is no workaround to unlock the Kyocera Torque once this problem starts.  So, if anyone's got a Torque that boots up and suddenly won't connect to the network - ouch.  Technology works in mysterious ways.  Probably worth talking to someone at the Sprint Tech Support center, though.  With time, maybe someone will figure it out.

I would like to thank the customer service team for bumping my contract date up a bit so I could use that bonus towards a new phone.  I am happy with how this turned out, even if the situation wasn't super great.

If someone knows what exactly triggers this error in the first place, I think that'd be a good thing to add on here.  The only guess I have is that I updated my phone and power cycled it while I was in USB mode.  Or maybe it's a hardware thing.  I dunno.

Master

Jenna.R,

Thank you for following up. I'm glad to hear we were able to get this resolved for you. I apologize for the trouble you had. It's hard to say what exactly caused the phone to lock up. This definitely isn't something we want to happen I understand the need for a working device. In the future please feel free to reach out if you have any questions or concerns. We're here for you!

-- Laura
Sprint Social Care
Wizard

Jenna.R wrote:

Standard start, here : been a longtime customer of Sprint, generally happy with the service I've had over the years.  But this one's got me knackered up.

On the 27th, my Torque went through the process of updating itself, but when it powered back on, it is unable to find service.  "No network connection."  I've also gotten messages that "the SIM card has locked, try power cycling the device".  You might guess that did not fix the issue.  I've been to the Sprint store, but after fiddling with the device and taking it to the tech guy in the back room, all Sarah could tell me is that it was a 'known issue' and they would need to get me a new phone.  I'm not really in a good place to be paying $80 for a new phone right now - and this issue is preventing me from getting interview callbacks.  :c  On the other hand, I am due for a phone upgrade on November 1, 2014.  But that is still a month away.

So my questions: What exactly is this 'known issue'?  (My husband has the same model of phone, I can't have both of them down.)  What can I do to fix it?  A software update broke the thing, so I imagine a software update can fix it.  (But I cannot connect to the network.  Oi.)

|| I have tried ||
- Power cycling, multiple times
- Re-seating the SIM card

- Doing a factory reset

- Having the device checked at the local store

After reading this the techy geeky guy in me started thinking on it, and the only two ideas that i could come up with are one, you somehow ran too many SIM PIN codes through the SIM card and it, as me and some friends used to say, "got burnt" or also "got feathered", both mean basically the same thing here .  The other thought i got from reading this is something i`ve wondered of ever since i got my first smartphone that had even a modicum of usuable memory, and that is that somehow the memory (or mabey the SIM card) in the unit somehow became corrupted causing the hasty issue mentioned.  I`ve seen the SD card in MY torque corrupt already (the one that came with the handset finally went away recently...bye-bye $40 for a new one).  Good to hear ya got it fixed.  The big problem with idea number one is that if i`m correct Sprint handsets (that use a SIM card for the LTE connection) don`t use the SIM PIN feature, is that correct?   And if number two were to actually be the problem then i`d really be gettin` intrested, as i`ve had my unit for well over a year now (might be getting on two years now) and i`d hate to have that happen to me, as i cannot easily make it to a repair center (the nearest one to me here in Central WI is in Appleton, WI and i can`t drive...big problem).  TK241  P.S.  For those that may wonder, when i refer to a SIM card or and SD card "getting burnt/feathered" i mean that it was (in the case of a SIM), locked, and for the SD, corrupted.  Both are not groovy events.

Wizard

I just had me another thinkin` thought just now re, this thread and my last post (see that for my other thoughts from reading this whole thread ).  For the other techy dudes on here, dosen`t this look a LOT like what happpened with the Iphone 6?  If memory serves me right, that handset also had a problem with an update that "broke" the handset`s cellullar connection capabilites, and i just realized that this incident LOOKS (emphassis added) like what happened to the Iphone 6.  Thoughts?  Just curious .  TK241

Master

TK241 -We're sorry to hear that. We're not sure if you tried the factory reset or not. Let us know. The factory reset will also delete all your data including your contacts. We want to help. - Ramiro Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

TK, 'feathered' is a new one to me, probably just some regional slang I've not come across.  You might be onto something with burning out the pins on the SIM card, but in past experience, there's usually some sort of residue built up on the contact points after a chip burns, just from the heat of repeatedly using the component in question.  My SIM chip looked clear, didn't rattle, although I will admit that doesn't rule out your idea.

As far as corrupted SD cards, I've not yet run into a corrupted data card (SD, SC, SM, gosh, there were quite a few sized for a while.) that wasn't usable after wiping all data on the card clean.  These data cards are solid state memory sticks, so as long as the connection pins are undamaged, you're fine.  Sometimes data gets corrupted, but as Ramiro mentioned, a factory reset wipes the SD card clear.

Feel pretty comfortable with your Torque.  As I hear it, there were some issues with the early models (Admittedly, mine was an early model) but my husband's had his Torque for two years now and it's never given him trouble.  It's a nice, durable, barely-smart phone.  lol

Master

Jenna Thank you for the post. If you have any questions or concerns please let us know. - MitzieSprint Social Care
Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat