cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kyocera Torque Problems

17 REPLIES
Journeyman

Re: Kyocera Torque Problems

After update 2.002SP, the only lingering issue I have is the ability to login to certain Wi-Fi access points.  I would say about 40% of the AP's I try to login to I receive authentication error.  I know for a fact that I have the correct credentials.

Also, I am curious.  Why do the Torque's have LTE?  If you want to use SDC, which would be the only reason to have a Torque, then LTE must be disabled.  So why have it on the phone in the first place?  Will it eventually work?

Journeyman

Hello tthigpen62:

We had similarly unreliable hardware experiences with our Torques initially, in the end it took five brand-new Torques to get two that operated more or less properly.

We are currently running Android 4.1.2 and phone software version 2.000SP, and our phones have been perfectly stable for quite awhile. Actually, as of phone software version 1.007SP both of our Torques have been very stable for us, and we are happy that version 2.000SP is still very stable for us. Versions 1.005SP and 1.006SP were nightmares.

In just the past 2-3 weeks our previously horrible Sprint Direct Connect ("SDC") has evened out and has been performing pretty decently for us. Up until then, SDC was a real POS, exhibiting the same issues you described above. I believe our local area's improvement in SDC is because they are finally implementing the Network Vision upgrades in our area. The 3G data speeds, while still not great, recently picked up from an average of 30-50 kbps to 150-300 kbps, and it was exactly when we noticed the 3G data speeds getting better that the SDC also improved significantly. Note to Sprint executives: IT'S THE NETWORK, STUPID!!!!!

I'm not trying to tell you anything, nor am I trying to sell you anything, and heaven knows I am absolutely no fan of Sprint since they took over and trashed Nextel. But within the past six months we have tried AT&T's EPTT, Verizon's PTT, Prip and Zello Android PTT apps, and while all of them are decent, none of them is anywhere near as good as SDC, where Sprint's 3G network has been upgraded to handle SDC. Of course, none of them (incl SDC) holds a candle to the original Nextel on iDEN for PTT performance and reliability but IMO, SDC is as close as one can get to NDC (and where Sprint's 3G CDMA network has been upgraded, SDC is pretty darn close to NDC).

If you do jump ship (and none of us former Nextel users would blame you one bit if you do), please come back to the Sprint Direct Connect community page and tell us which carrier you switched to, and how your PTT solution is preforming for you there. As a possible suggestion, you might find that Zello or Prip performs decently enough on, say, Verizon's LTE network (assuming those apps support 4G) or maybe on T-Mo's or AT&T's HSPA+ networks. Our personal experience is that for Prip or Zello to perform fast enough to want to keep using them, you must have a very fast network connection at all times, or both connect times & transmission times are noticeably laggy. On slow Sprint 3G, connect times & transmission times are around 2 seconds every time. With decent WiFi at around 2.5 Mbps (and by extension, 4G type speeds), connect times & transmission times dropped to around 1 second per. On good days, our SDC is consistently around half a second (if it connects ;-)

Journeyman

Just to chime in on this, my Admiral started to have some touch screen issues after 1+ years of rough service, our Sprint rep suggested upgrading to the Torque they gave me a demo phone for a week and it looked and worked good. I am 8 weeks into a new phone the first one sent to me went dead while the battery was charging before activation, had to pull and insert the battery to get it back on, did it several times after it was activated tried everything they told me including a full reset and updates to the firmware still had the issue. Sprint replaced it with a new phone, the new one worked for a week without any issues then it did an update and started rebooting several times a day, for three weeks no one would admit there were any known issues with the Torque rebooting, after several full resets Sprint finally replaced it. The replacement which I believe is a refurbished phone because it came in a small plain whiter box is doing the same thing, I activated it Wednesday it was dead on Friday pulled and inserted the battery and it worked again the phone did a firmware update and now it reboots randomly, no apps installed and the most current update is installed, they are suggesting I do a full reset again. I have been very patient because the phone looks and feels rugged and that is what I need. Looks like I need to go back to the Admiral and deal with the touch screen issue until Kyocera and Sprint can fix this issue.

As far as 2 way goes the new system is horrible and Kyocera phones are worse, many times thought the day we cannot call anyone with the 2 way until they call you, have to alert first at times, some day it will not work for hours then it works fine. We never had these issues with the Nextel system and Motorola Phones, I hope someone fixes this fast if the 2 way does not work I do not need Sprint and will have to cancel the 15 lines we are using and go to regular phones and radios.

ZIP32,

The push e-mail issue was resolved with a new software release, see here > http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/588664#588664 Have you updated to this software release?

Eduardo C

Sprint Social Care

Journeyman

Has there been any progress with the Exchange issues?  I tried calling tech support and it seems that they took the easy route and simply stated that I need to take the phone back to the Sprint Store I purchased it from.

All,

Thanks for replying, I looked at this further. According my system I see that the E-mail auto-syncing failure is a known issue, there’s a possible workaround for this problem. We suggest reducing the e-mails on the server account to less than 500 e-mails, this should fix the problem temporarily. Sprint and Kyocera are working on resolving this problem, the next software update should help. The random power-cycling is also a known issue, we’re aware and the next software update should resolve this as well. In regards to the device restarting and being kicked back to “LTE” I don’t see this listed as a problem, usually after setting the device to “CDMA” it should stay that way after the restart. I see folks mention visiting a local Sprint store, what feedback have they provided? The Wi-Fi problem doesn’t seem to be a known problem as well, and another user on this conversation has mentioned it working properly for them. I would suggest visiting the store again, as this can be a potential handset problem.

Eduardo C

Sprint Social Care

Journeyman

Delair_10 wrote:

This is exactly what we need: http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57588496-94/at-t-brings-enhanced-push-to-talk-app-to-iphone/

AT&T offers push to talk, on any phone, and on LTE.  I would prefer stay with Sprint, but now there is no reason to.  Sprint, when will you offer direct connect LTE on any phone?

CAUTION: Be certain you give AT&T a full-on trial in the areas where you live & work.

AT&T is making a lot of noise in the press about their "Enhanced PTT", but when you actually go into a store to get a demo, no one in the store knows how to operate it, and their 4G network won't be installed in your area for another year or more, and you'll find out that without 4G, AT&T's PTT over their 3G network is deadly slow.

To paraphrase a former US president: "Don't trust, and do verify."

Journeyman

This is exactly what we need: http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57588496-94/at-t-brings-enhanced-push-to-talk-app-to-iphone/

AT&T offers push to talk, on any phone, and on LTE.  I would prefer stay with Sprint, but now there is no reason to.  Sprint, when will you offer direct connect LTE on any phone?

Journeyman

The two remaining issues are:

1. Cannot authenticate to 3 of about 15 Wi-Fi networks that attempted. My EVO 3D and Motorola Admiral were able to authenticate to all of them.

2. I cannot initiate a direct connect call while using our work's Airave Pro (eFemto). I can receive direct calls, I can return direct calls once someone has contacted me, but I cannot initiate them. Previously I had a Motorola Admiral and it was able to initiate direct connect calls with the Airave Pro.  Cell calls with the Torque work fine in both directions.

Journeyman

We are still having issues with 3/4 of our end user's Kyocera Torques randomly rebooting. This is a major problem because encryption is enforced through Mobile Iron policy. Because of this, the phone is inoperable until the initial login is entered to decrypt storage.