cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Settings crashing after 3.000sp update

Journeyman

Settings crashing after 3.000sp update

We have several Torques (running 4.1.2). In each case, after updating firmware to 3.000sp, we cannot start the Battery app, which is part of the Android OS. Upon tapping Battery, in Apps, the error message is "Unfortunately, Settings has stopped."

This is reproducible 100% of the time.

5 REPLIES 5
Master

Re: Settings crashing after 3.000sp update

EPSINC33 - Thanks for reaching out and bringing this to our attention. We're sorry to hear that you're having issues with the battery app. For further assistance, please use the following link http://sprint.co/1CdH4ml .
- ShaquilleSprint Social Care
Journeyman

Thanks, but I had already been to that page prior to posting.

As mentioned, the Battery "app" is part of the Android OS and cannot be managed by the user like other installed apps. As part of the Settings component of the android system, it does not appear in Manage Apps, nor is it possible to clear the cache or remove and reinstall.

This is a system bug and can only be repaired via a patch, android system update, or firmware update, or by rolling back to 2.602sp, if that were possible.

Wizard

EPSINC33 wrote:

As mentioned, the Battery "app" is part of the Android OS and cannot be managed by the user like other installed apps. As part of the Settings component of the android system, it does not appear in Manage Apps, nor is it possible to clear the cache or remove and reinstall.

This is a system bug and can only be repaired via a patch, android system update, or firmware update, or by rolling back to 2.602sp, if that were possible.

I too have noticed this issue as well (batterey app crashing when ya attempt to use it).  I hope they do fix this,along with the VERY ANOYING "turn it off twice" bug (AKA the double shutdown bug), if they can`t do that then at least what should happen is ether of one, provide info and instructions on a workaround to this while an update/patch is worked up, or two, provide, for free, a third-party batterey app for us to use instead (might be a long shot but had to add it anyway ).  I have had to give up on getting the dafault batterey app to work after trying a few times to get it to work, getting a crash every time i attempted to use it.  Something tells me they`re gonna hafta address all this or a LOT of Torques are gonna be showin` up on places like Ebay & Craigslist as folks just get tired of buggy software/apps and a buggy OS, granted nobody`s perfect, but stuff like this (batterey app crash bug & the double shutdown bug) need to be fixed or life with a Torque just gets frustrating.  N9NRA

Journeyman

Same issue with our Torques, we are on Android OS 4.1.2  and Kyocera firmware 3.000SP. Both of our Torques have the "Unfortunately settings has stopped" bug, and one of them has the dual-shutdown problem. Very annoying, but we've just give up on both Kyocera and Sprint, have just resigned ourselves that they will never be right, and there's nothing we can do about it.

BTW, if you go to System Settings > About Phone > Status, it does show the current state of charge for the battery. It's inconvenient, but at least you can see the current % of battery remaining.

Also BTW, as an alternative to the poor state of both the Kyocera Torque and Sprint in general, one could consider going to either Verizon for the ruggedized Kyocera Brigadier, or in a couple of months go to AT&T for the Sonim XP7 (go to Phonescoop.com and search on "Sonim XP7" for the full review), then switch to ESChat for PTT service.

ESChat (http://www.sla-ptt.com) has an excellent PTT system that costs the same as Sprint Direct Connect (i.e. $5/line/mo) but for us has been significantly more reliable in terms of connections, and the clarity of voice on ESChat PTT calls is vastly better than our SDC. ALso a lot more flexibility in terms of setting up the beep tones, etc. They are a professional-grade PTT service, ESChat is carrier-agnostic (works over 3G/4G/WiFi, but of course it's using your data allotment, as do all PTT apps), and they cater to corporate, law-enforcement and military accounts. But they will take family accounts if you pay for all of the family's lines a year in advance (they do give a 10% discount to family accounts for the hassle of paying a year in advance). ESChat has a dispatch console  that includes real-time tracking as well as "breadcrumb" historical tracking of all phones' locations (if location is enabled on each phone at the admin level). Anyhow, we love ESChat. So far it has been both more reliable and voice quality is clearer than SDC, it works over WiFi, and given that it costs the same as SDC, we are canceling our SDC PTT and switching our PTT business over to ESChat.

When our current contracts are up in March, we'll also be leaving Sprint (either AT&T or VZ, not yet sure which one). Now that we have ESChat for professional-grade PTT, there is absolutely no reason for us to stay with Sprint. We'll finally be free of the bottom-tier network performance and poor tech support from Sprint. Can't wait.

Wizard

EPSINC33 wrote:

Guys, i think what we`re seeing here is, unfortunately, the EOL`ing of version 4.x of android, basically ony handset running any version lower than Lolipop probably will no longer be supported/updated.  Meaning that all these bugs we`ve been faithfully reporting here will likely not get a fix anytime soon (make that not at all), while this sounds pessimestic, it`s just the way it is.  Now if the Torque XT will be upgradable to Lolipop then the easy answer is get an XT and call it good.  Given that there`s really no other good provider option here in WI (all are ether really expensive ir have limited data and stick it to ya if you go over your data alottment or even throttle ya till the next month), i`m still hopeful there`ll be another update to fix these issues we`ve mentioned, but i won`t be too suprised if they decide not to provide anymore updates/patches.  TK241

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat