cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Casual Data Usage?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Casual Data Usage?

I am still getting used to this phone and becoming easily...I do not have a plan that allows me to use the internet, and I am satisfied with that, but I checked my bill and noticed some non-prorated charge for casual data usage? What does that even mean, I tried to chat with Sprint to get some answers, but that didn't work. I've already been warned about Sprint's customer service, however this forum has proved to be helpful. So can someone explain what the charge is for casual data usage, is there any way to stop it, or will it be a monthly charge?

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Casual Data Usage?

Specifically I don't know what would be causing it. A lot of phones have certain features that update on their own. My phone for example has an "On Demand" program. This is like news, weather, sports, stocks, etc. It automatically updates info throughout the day and this uses that data. I have a data plan so it doesn't matter but in your case you would have to pay for this feature.The phone should have a data menu under settings or options something like that, under the data menu you should be able to lock the data out. This will prevent the phone from using any features that use data. As far as getting the charges removed I would take the bill into the store you purchased the phone and signed the contract at. They will call Sprint and get the charges removed, you can also have them show you how to restrict the data use. If I ever have problems with my bill or phone I just take it in. They know how to talk with Sprint reps and get stuff done better than we can do.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Casual data charges are received by sending or receiving picture mail, audio files, streaming music, Sprint TV or radio, video clips, e-mail, instant messaging, purchasing ringers, games or applications. This can also occur from just browsing the internet on the device.

Anything on the device that causes you to access the internet is a casual data charge. The charge is $0.03/KB (kilobyte). Depending on if you are accessing sites on the internet on the device depends on how many KB's are used. Sites with a lot of picutres or checknig e-mail usually require a lot of KB. If you would like to do these things on the device you are able to add the Sprint data pack which is $15.00 a month or $30.00 a month to allow you to not incur the $0.03/KB charge.

The differences between the packages are

$15.00 Vision Pack includes unlimited web access and browsing, NFL mobile, On Demand, Basic TV, Basic Radio, Sprint Mobile E-mail, $9.99 buy up option for Sprint Mobile Work E-mail, and $2.99 per day or $9.99 per month option to use Sprint Navigation.

$30.00 Vision Pack includes unlimited web access and browsing, NFL Mobile, On Demand, Basic TV, Basic Radio, Sprint Mobile E-mail, Sprint Mobile Work E-mail, Picture Mail, Unlimited Sprint Navigation, and unlimited text messages.

Hope this helps.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thank you. Now I understand.

Highlighted
Journeyman

The problem I have is that I better not be getting charged for text, picture, or video messages because the plan I have, "Everything Messaging" says unlimited text, picture, and video. I didnt understand that either and I wasted $43 dollars on 4 ringers. So far, thats the only bad thing ive experienced since switching to Sprint. It really bothers me that they charge you for the ringer, then charge you for data access to retrieve it.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat