cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confused on what to do

Go to solution
Journeyman

Confused on what to do

Hi! I have the LG Rumor Touch. I am a very careful with my money anyways I don't know if the Total Protection Plan is really worth it. I have it on there right now but 8 X 12 = 96  a year. Please tell me what you all think. I am going to be upgrading in less than a year and just don't want to waste any money knowing that I have a disabity and on a fixed income. When I upgrade it's not going to be a smart phone or anything so please tell me what you all think and please forgive if I am doing something wrong just don't know what to do and I just don't want to waste money. Thanks

Russ

5 REPLIES 5
Journeyman

Confused on what to do

Russ -

As someone who carries the TPP, I strongly suggest it because it protects you against just about anything that can go wrong with your phone. If you don't have it and something goes wrong, then you have to OOP to get it fixed (which could get pricy) or get a new phone out of contract which is also quite expensive.

However, that being said, if you are the type of person who rarely uses your phone, takes extra good care of it (meaning it never gets dropped, its always in a case, etc), then you may be ok without the TPP.

Personally, I'm hard on my phone, even though I keep it in a Trident Cyclops case (a heavy duty case similar to otterbox) it still takes a hit. I wouldn't be without it. With a smartphone, it's almost a necessity because almost anything can go wrong with a smart phone, and when you're using a touch screen phone, that might as well qualify for a smart phone because of the technology involved. I had to add TPP to my husband's phone because when I purchased it last year for Christmas, it wasn't added by the clerk, and I had to wait till open enrollment began the first part of August. I was scare something would happen to his phone, since he works in a hospital and things can get crazy. Thankfully nothing happened and all is well.

I guess there is no clear cut answer to your question - because honestly, I'll tell you I believe it's worth it. However, only you can make the decision as to whether or not that $8/month is worth it to you. It's about the cost of a couple of McDonald's meals or so each month - is the TPP worth that to you? If the answer is no, then don't get it. If you want the security of the TPP and the answer is yes then add it to your plan.

Hope this helps - as always, this is my opinion - YMMV.

Journeyman

Confused on what to do

Look at it this way. Do you have $400 to $600 at your disposal? If you do then you do not need it. You will also pay a $50 deductible when filing a claim. I have always had the plan and have never had to use. So looking over the years I have paid far more then used.

Master

Confused on what to do

Russ,

Do you ever accidentally drop your phone? Do you go out to a lot of places and have you ever left your phone somewhere?

If you answer no to each of these I suggest you pay the insurance the first year and then drop it - put the $8 per month in an envelope from then on and save the money. You exposure is greatest when you have just upgraded and Sprint cannot offset the cost of a new device in any way.  Once you are a year into the contract if you did break it you could get it fixed for $35 at a repair center.  The BAD scenario is if you lose the phone without insurance. If you have had it for a year you would be able to get a $75 discount on a new handset rather than pay $300 for one.  Also at 21 months you would be eligible for the full discount. So in my opinion I say keep the insurance for the first year.

Larry ~ OKIESTRO

Journeyman

Confused on what to do

Hi! Thanks you guys! You have helped me a ton cause I use my phone all the time. I text all the time. I drop in once in a while and I am keeping the insurance! Thank you very much! I appreciate your well spent time looking once my question. Again thanks so much!!!

Russ

Journeyman

Re: Confused on what to do

As for looking deep into all this I dropped the insurance! Reading mags into this and reading on the web I just don't think it's worth it for the time being. Now that does not say that I may pick it up next time I upgrade, but for now I just dropped it today. Thank you all for you very nice answers.

Russ

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat