cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has your LG Rumor Touch cracked it's display mysteriously?

Journeyman

Bought my girlfriend an LG Rumor Touch and in less than a month the display got a crack. From the point of the crack to the end of the display there was just a line, but the phone continued to work. I was with her and she was using the phone going to the store, she put it in her purse and we went in the store and came back out a few minutes later. She pulled out her phone and said "what's on my phone?" I said it looked like a crack, but it was in her purse and didn't hit anything and there wasn't a scratch on the phone. At the end of the week, the crack had become multiple cracks in every direction and we took it to the Sprint Store. They said "Good you have insurance, it's been over 30days we can't do anything." I said, "Insurance is $50 and we didn't misuse the phone." I had them research the bill and it was 28days since the purchase. They said "Doesn't matter, we're not responsible for physical damage." I told them I believe the driver for the display out-gased cracking the display from inside, and the Sprint manager said "Call LG then, we're not responsible." This gets better... The insurance person said she has then same phone and her's did the same thing in the first month - was in her purse and the display broke inside with no misuse. She took it to her techy and the only hard item in her purse was an eye-tweezer. The techy said "That's it, must have hit one of the pressure points behind the display". So she paid her $50 and took her tech's advice to get a good pouch. I asked her how many of these broken displays on the Rumor Touch have been reported and she said they don't collect that kind of information - I wouldn't either, they'd lose a lot of business. I couldn't even get the Sprint Store to give me a receipt saying they had found physical damage and referred customer to insurance on this date. Record keeping seems a lost art... I've been with Sprint 10years and they want to give me special perks, but they tell me I'm lying to them....Funny... So are there as many others out there with a broken Rumor Touch display as I'm guessing. Don't be silent.

13 REPLIES 13
Master

Re: Has your LG Rumor Touch cracked it's display mysteriously?

The store you went to was misinformed, As of OCT 25 physical damage/cracked screens are covered for free if you have TEP.

http://shop.sprint.com/en/services/service_repair/in_store_service.shtml

I'd call and file a complaint and see if they will reimburse you the $50 you spent for a replacement.

Journeyman

My phone did the same thing. I put it in my purse and pulled it out and a small crack appeared at the top of the screen. I don't have insurance because I'm a broke college kid so I'm not sure what to do with it.

Journeyman

I have this same phone and the same thing happened to me. I am on my third LG Rumor Touch. It been problem after problem since I've had this phone. My screen is now cracked and I have never dropped the phone. I've only had this phone fpr a few months. Both Sprint and LG should be ashame of themselves because they both know that this is a manufactor problem, yet they are forcing us to pay $50 for a new phone. I am going to monitor the complaints that relate to this phone and try getting a class action lawsuit going against both Sprint and LG for their continued ignorance of this growing problem that exist with this particular phone. For anyone in need of a new phone, this LG Rumor Touch is a POOR choice!!!

Journeyman

I got the Rumor Touch for both my kids - my son's was activated end of April and it cracked a couple of weeks ago.  My daughters was activated end of March and it just cracked today.  She hadn't dropped it or anything, just went to get it off the charger and saw the screen cracked. I don't have the insurance on them because they charge $7 a month plus they charge you $50 if you need to get it replaced. Both my husband and I have the phones, but haven't activated them yet. I am returning them and getting them exchanged for something else.  The Rumor Touch sucks!!!!

Journeyman

Having the same problem.  Getting ready to get a 3rd phone for my daughter and she said she hasn't dropped it any of the times.  I do have insurance, but don't want to keep getting the same phone when I know it will happen again. 

Journeyman

Also having the same problem.  The tech guy acts like he's never seen this.  Must have happened when I put it in my pocket he suggests.  Show me someone who doesn't keep their phone in their pocket. If the phone can't be placed in your pocket they should have you sign some kind of release that says phone can't be place in pocket, purse, book bag etc. Perhaps phone should be carried in a padded steel box at all times.  This is a manufacturers defect and both sprint and LG know this but refuse to man up.

Journeyman

It just happened to me.  The phone was sitting on my desk over night.  Next morning a cracked screen.  I called sprint and they said it would be repaired or replaced.  I then went into the store and it was another story.  The first tech was very rude, she just repeated "you cracked your screen" five times.  My fiance and I are both Drs.  We didn't need to be treated like children.  Then she yelled across the store for the manager when we asked for her supervisor.  He was nice but the result was the same.  Prior to going to the store we put in a ticket through Sprint but it wasn't actually pushed through.  I wanted to get a replacement but after seeing these threads I think I'm done with LG.  I'm also leaving Sprint and taking my family with me.  Their chat service was very supportive, but if I have to deal with rude customer service face to face its a waste of my time and money.  Even if they hadn't replaced the phone, just not being rude would have kept my business.

Journeyman

Had the same thing happen to the LG Rumor Touch phone on my account.  The phone was on the counter charging and the next morning I turned the phone on and the LCD screen is cracked.  The outer screen is fine.  I contacted LG and was told that I must have misused my phone and that I could pay for them to fix the screen.  I just got off the phone with Sprint and was told they have never heard of this problem.  I can take the phone to the Sprint store and pay $35 for someone to look at the phone and rule out that I did not misuse the phone and I could get a replacement.  But if they say that I did something to the phone then I am out the $35 and must purchase a new phone.  Seems like a real good scam going on here. 

Master

McCulloch51 wrote:

Had the same thing happen to the LG Rumor Touch phone on my account.  The phone was on the counter charging and the next morning I turned the phone on and the LCD screen is cracked.  The outer screen is fine.  I contacted LG and was told that I must have misused my phone and that I could pay for them to fix the screen.  I just got off the phone with Sprint and was told they have never heard of this problem.  I can take the phone to the Sprint store and pay $35 for someone to look at the phone and rule out that I did not misuse the phone and I could get a replacement.  But if they say that I did something to the phone then I am out the $35 and must purchase a new phone.  Seems like a real good scam going on here. 

Taking the phone into the store to have the technicians take a look at it does not cost anything. If you do not have TEP and the store can repair or replace the phone it would then have the $35 charge to either replace the damaged screen or the phone if they can't repair it. If the store determines that the phone is damaged beyond what they can repair or that it is physical damage beyond what is covered by the in-store service and repair coverage, then you would either have to go through Asurion with the deductible, or if you do not have Sprint's TEP protection your option would be to upgrade if you are eligible or purchase another phone at full retail price.

Journeyman

In my experience it was the service I received that pissed me off the most.  The representative that was at the store treated me like such an idiot that I have decided to change providers when my contract is up.  And don't get me started with TEP.  It was added to my account AFTER this incident for some reason and I have spoken with an online representative about what it covers.  It basically went like this.  Agent: It covers normal wear and tear.  Me: What is defined as normal wear and tear? Is a cracked screen normal, because this happened to my last phone.  Agent: It covers normal wear and tear.  Repeat about four times before I hung up.  Sprint coverage and plans are fine compared to other providers, but they have the worst service I have encountered and it will be a pleasure to drop them.  I had planned on just canceling my contract outright but I needed a phone ASAP and didn't have time to look around for another plan.  If you have time do yourself a favor and look around before investing in another contract with Sprint.

Journeyman

I switched from AT&T in August and bought a family plan with 3 phones.  My daughters phone which I cannot remember what it was called, had a crack in it within a few weeks.  My son and I both got the LG rumor.  Two days ago, mine appeared cracked fr no reason. Last night my son looked at his and it was cracked as well.  A bit of a coincidence that they both cracked  within 24 hours of eachother.  I did buy the protection plan for my kids but didnt think I needed it because i never thought my phone would just start to crack.  I went to a store yesterday and they told me to take my daughters to a repair store.  Then to tell me I have to pay a deductible.  Why am I paying fo a protection plan exactly? I was never told about a deductible.  For myself, I was even willing to buy a better phone and upgrade to a data plan but they said no...Why wouldnt they want to make more money on that? I chatted with a rep online yesterday and all of a sudden she disappeared.  I called someone today and basically I have to wait till june 2013 to upgrade my phone.  I'm taking all phones tomorrow to sprint to see if there is a manufatureres sefect which I know they will say we sat on it or something.....Oh...and it would cost me almost $600 to opt out of my 2 year contract.  With this phone issue, and all the dropped calls I have, I cannot wail until this contract is up so I can switch companies.  Ridiculous...

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat