cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I change, or set to a lower volume, the start up sound on my LG Optimus S?

Go to solution
Highlighted
Journeyman

How can I change, or set to a lower volume, the start up sound on my LG Optimus S?

I have used "Ringdroid" to add new sounds with no big problems. However, that start up sound is still around and I don't see how to modify it. It certainly is very loud, and could disturb others if I start up the phone in a quiet place.

Thanks,

AE

Message was edited by: ALESK46

9 REPLIES 9
Wizard

Re: How can I change, or set to a lower volume, the start up sound on my LG Optimus S?

I have tried to find a way to adjust the startup volume, but could not find it.  The startup sound is "/system/sounds/poweron/poweron.mp3" and cannot be changed without root access.  If you had root access, you could use a root explorer like the free "Super Manager" to replace the mp3 file with one that's quiet.  Just rename a file like "silent.mp3" to "poweron.mp3" and replace the current power on sound in the system folder.

There used to be a file on the Android Market called z4root, but I don't see it anymore.  However, you may be able to download the Android application elsewhere.  In my reading of the Sprint terms and conditions and the manufacturers warranty, there is no reason to believe that installing non-Market applications is against an agreement or voids a warranty.

Please note there are some applications on the market where using them may violate the terms and conditions of Sprint service, regardless of root access.  Thus, just because you do something without root does not make it acceptable.  Alternately, just because you do something with root does not make it a violation.  I think adjusting sound notifications is within normal use of a phone, considering precedence of the ability to adjust ringtones, notifications, and alarm sounds.

As a final thought, whether rooted or not, the terms and conditions from Sprint and the manufacturers warranty still apply.  Having root access by itself does not appear to violate any of these agreements, the real issue is how you mis/use your phone.

Journeyman

Re: How can I change, or set to a lower volume, the start up sound on my LG Optimus S?

Thanks BL.

I tried Super Manager, but the free version apparently doesn't provide sufficient root access. I then tried Android Mate and I was able to get into the Root area and actually saw the poweron.mp3 file. I guess I could delete it and have no sound. However I tried to modify another mp3 on my computer as poweron.mp3. I thought I could then copy it to the ringtones folder in the phone root. But the name of this new file did not stay and it reverted to the old name. So, before I mess further with the root I'll back off before I do damage, and perhaps I'll get some more help with this.

Thanks again,

Alan

I've attached a copy of my duplicate poweron.mp3. As I said, on the phone the file name reverted to the media player name (Childrens' Corner ...)

Wizard

Perhaps the file size is too big.

This is the file that I use.

PowerOn.mp3

Message was edited by: beliving

Journeyman

I'll try again tomorrow and let you know if it works.

By the way, this is a silent file, right?

Thanks,

AE

Journeyman

Nope. Looks like I don't really get Root access with Android Mate. When I navagate there and try to remove PowerOn.mp3 I get a message that it isn't a permissable action ... and the same response when I try to paste your modified version into that directory.

Looks like until I get root access I'll be listening to that beautiful opening.

Thanks for your help just the same,

AE

Wizard

Yes, the file is silent.  If you want, download the program z4root, which will allow you to perform root functions.

Journeyman

Thanks. You have been a great help.

AE

Journeyman

I downloaded the "Silent Boot" app and it works perfectly on my Optimus-S!

Journeyman

Perfect!

It works.

AE

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat