cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you disable the web without losing your picture mail usage??

Highlighted
Patron

How do you disable the web without losing your picture mail usage??

I just got a new LG Rumor Touch and have already been charged with data usage.  I have the everything messaging plan and do not want to get surprisingly charged with using the web or anything else like that.   I know that my plan comes with unlimited texting and picture mail.  Does anyone know how to disable the internet so that you don't get charged extra, but still be able to use the picture mail?  Thank you for your time and consideration!

Tags (2)
6 REPLIES 6
Journeyman

Re: How do you disable the web without losing your picture mail usage??

We've been getting hit with Data charges even though we only send and/or receive text, picture or video. Sometimes, we are prompted with 'connect to internet' when sending. I've chatted with a few Sprint rep's and they said this is the correct thing to do and we shouldn't get data charges. However, third month in a row and still data charges. I had to argue with tech support as there is clearly an issue with their system. Very frustrating!!

Journeyman

I just got the Rumor Touch yesterday, and I really like it. However I too am having this same issue. Has anyone found a solution?

Journeyman

I went thought this a while back with my Samsung Rant.  There is no way to disable web without losing picture mail.

One thing one of the many reps I talked to about this finally did tell me is to make sure that I am only sending picture mail to other cell phones.  If you send a picture mail to an email address, that apparently is not included in the Everything Message plan that we have and will incur data charges.  So don't sent pictures to Facebook, your Mom's email address, etc.  This is not documented anywhere I could find, but after making sure I wasn't doing that, I never incurred data charges again.

Hope this helps.

Journeyman

Below is an email I got from Sprint Rep:

Thank you for your reply.

I understand that you have not used the data services on your handset. 
However, it might be possible that you are accessing the Internet while
sending Picture Mail. There is a difference between Picture Mail and
accessing pictures using data services.

The following options are included in the Picture Mail and do not
generate any data usages:

• Sending the Picture Mail from the Picture Mail account - Take a
picture from the phone. Select Options. Select a contact name, phone
number, or e-mail address to send the picture.
• Post to Service through Picture Mail account
• Print pictures through Picture Mail account
• Uploading the picture from the phone to an album through Picture Mail
account
• Picture Mail Text - When you get the Text message notification “You
have new Sprint Picture Mail”, select the message.  Open the link in the
message to view the picture on the Picture Mail server.
The following options are not included in the Picture Mail and generate
the data usages:

• Composing an e-mail from the Internet web browser or e-mail
application on the phone.
• Post, view, make comments, or download pictures to the phone using Web
browser on the phone.
• Searching the Web site for pictures.
• Downloading or Viewing a Picture Using Web Browser
• Downloading a Picture from Text Message.  For example: Accessing the
standard text message (not notified as Picture Mail), selecting the
included URL, purchase and download the picture from the Web site.

I have read somewhere else that sending to email is included as long as you don't access the web.

Master

Sprint Clears Up 'Unlimited Messaging' Confusion

Sprint's Everything Messaging plans include unlimited text, picture and video messaging at no additional charge. With these plans, there are no charges for data usage associated with using picture or video messaging. However, it has come to our attention that a few customers have received charges for data usage that may be related to picture messaging. Sprint is investigating these situations and in most cases has found that the data charges are being billed for other data usage, such as checking email, downloading ringtones or visiting Web sites. In a very small number of cases, charges of 4 to 9 cents per message are mistakenly being billed to the customer. Sprint is conducting testing to fix this issue for those customers affected. Customers on Everything Messaging plans who feel they have been mistakenly charged for sending or receiving picture or video messages should immediately report the issue to Sprint Customer Care at 1-800-Sprint1 in order for their usage history to be researched

-------------------------------------------------------

http://support.sprint.com/support/article/Know_if_you_will_be_charged_for_using_Picture_Mail/case-wh...

-------------------------------------------------------

Picture Mail Options (Included) Will not incure charges.

Picture Mail Phone Menu Options

1. Take a picture from the phone.
  2. Select Options.
  3. Select a contact name, phone number, or e-mail address to send the picture.

Picture Mail Text

1. Text message notification 'You have new Sprint Picture Mail'.
  2. Select the message.
  3. Open the link in the message to view the picture on the Picture Mail server.

Upload to Sprint Picture Mail Web Site

• Picture Mail plan users only.
  1. Select Picture Mail option on the phone.
  2. Upload the picture from the phone to an album.

Post to Service Menu Option

1. Access Picture Mail on the phone.
  2. Choose Post to Service.
  3. Select a Web site type such as Facebook orMyspace.
  4. Continue with posting pictures.

Data Usage Options (Not Included with PictureMail) Will incure charges.

Compose e-mail with Picture Attachment

1. Compose an e-mail from the internet web browser or e-mail application on the phone. (AOL, hotmail, Yahoo!, etc).
  2. Attach a picture from the phone.
  3. Send.

Pictures Using the Web Browser

1. Access the Web browser on the phone.
  2. Locate Web pages such as social network sites like Facebook, Myspace, Youtube, and PhotoBucket.
  3. Log in to the Web page (if required).
  4. Post, view, make comments, or download pictures to the phone.

Web Browser to Find Pictures

1. Access the phone Web browser.
  2. Type a URL or select an option such as google.com.
  3. Search the Web site for pictures.

Downloading/Viewing a Picture Using Web Browser

1. Access the Web browser on the phone.
  2. Type a URL or select Digital Lounge.
  3. Locate the picture.
  4. Download the image and agree to any download charges that may apply.

Downloading a Picture from Text Message

1. Access the standard text message (not notified as Picture Mail).
  2. Select the included URL.
  3. Purchase and download the picture from the Web site.
Journeyman

There is definitely an issue with incorrect data charging with our LG Rumor Touch phones. I've been trying to monitor our account online for data usage. As of 7.28.10, my wife had 7 KB data usage incorrectly charged. This morning, 8.2.2010, it has jumped to 16 KB. She has only sent pictures, that she took with her phone, to other contacts including myself. At times she's prompted with 'Connect to Internet' to send the picture. We've been told numerous times that this is the correct thing to do and should not generate a data use charge. So, I need to call tech support and probably explain to them all over again. I honestly believe that Sprint's MO is to deny everything and frustrate the customer in hopes that the customer will get tired of calling and just accept the over charges or switch to a higher costing plan.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat