cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LG G5 GPS failure

Highlighted
Journeyman

LG G5 GPS failure

I've had my G5 since August, and it's worked flawlessly until recently, when my GPS began acting up. Whether using Google Maps or Waze, I'll go long periods where I get the "Searching for GPS" onscreen message, and often the "GPS signal lost" audio message. After multiple efforts to correct the issue, including clearing cache partition, updating PRL and profile, running in safe mode, and even a factory reset. None of these issues corrected my problem. I have total protection, and live over 50 miles from a repair shop, so Assurion authorized a replacement, which I should receive tomorrow.

At this point, if the issue continues with the replacement, would it be safe to assume this is a software issue, rather than hardware? Had anyone heard that LG had identified an issue with it? I know that's a real long shot, as I had a G4 previously, and suffered through many devices having the bootloop issue that LG largely ignored until they could no longer.
Tags (1)
18 REPLIES 18
Sprint Social Care

Re: LG G5 GPS failure

Hilkster

We understand how inconvenient not being able to fully enjoy your device features may be for you. So far, this has not been reported as a know issue.

Hopefully the replacement will work fine. Feel free to contact us if something happens in the future.

If you have any additional questions or if there's anything else we can do for you, please let us know.

Ciara

Sprint Social Care

Ciara
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

So far, so good. GPS didn't drop once all the way into work today (20 miles), and I also found that my insurance tracker is now capturing miles as well. Most have been a failing antenna.
Sprint Social Care

Hilkster

We're glad to know everything is working fine.

If you need additional assistance, don't hesitate in contacting us.

Ciara

Sprint Social Care

Ciara
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

This is actually a KNOWN issue with the LG G5. GPS\Bluetooth module failure. Those were the exact words the technician at a Corporate owned sprint store told me just a few days ago. Stated I have no option but to send it in for repair, and be without a phone for up to 2 weeks. Not only myself, but another g5 owner was told the same thing, as she had the same issue. That is ridiculous. I have paid for insurance for years on all my phones, and have never taken them in for repair, and now I need to use it and they cant even give me a new one on the spot, and the worst part is the technician had no sympathy for the situation, only saying, "You want me to send it or not?" I use my phone all day for business as I travel about 2 weeks out of the month, there is no way I can go 2 weeks without a phone. 

Sprint Social Care

mroman1985,

Hello there! Do you happen to have an alternate device that you're actually not using so we can proceed and activate the device while the LG G5 is repaired? This is one of the options you have available with Asurion. If you chose to repair the device at the store, we can provide you with a loaner device in the meantime, this is only provided by Sprint Corporate Stores.

In order for us to verify if you are upgrade eligible for a new device, account information is needed. Please respond my private message as soon as you have an available time.

Kryshna

Sprint Social Care Team

Kryshna
Sprint Social Care
GrandMaster

the way the insurance works is a lot like your car insurance. you get into a wreck or something happens and repairs are needed you end up paying a deductible and they send you a refurbished device. this is the insurance route..or you can contact LG in this case and ask them how long it will take for this to be fixed and at what cost..odds are you will be stuck around the 2 weeks turn around deal but you can also check to see if it can be expedited to and from..either route you would be best off trying to swap an old device of yours or a friends spare out with the current device if/when you send in the G5 to be repaired or if you are waiting on the refurbished one to come to you.
I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

Unfortunately I do not have an alternate device to Actvate while my phone is being serviced. I did inquire about a Loaner phone, and the employee chuckled and told me good luck getting one. They stated they only had 3-4, and there are so many people needing one that it was basically be luck if I happned to be able to get one. The employees truly lacked any kind of empathy for not only my situation, but also with the other women there with the same phone, same problem going on. The other customer and myself just looked in bewilderment that the employees were just so nonchalant about the entire issue. Thats what truly upset me the most, the take it or leave it attitude of the tech, and the amusement they had  when I asked about a loaner phone. 

GrandMaster

they could have worked it a bit better but the loaner phone deal through the corporate repair stores is true..its all going to boil down to how many they have and if they are out already or not. do you know anyone else that has Sprint and by chance might they have a back up device you can borrow?
I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

I am also having the same issue. Why doesn't LG issue a recall???

Journeyman

I am having the same issue with my LG G5. I drive Part time and rely heavily on my GPS. I just had to spend a little over 100.00 on a Car GPS to get by and that is ridiculous.

Who Do I contact, My carrier Sprint or LG or both?

Thanks

Mark

Sprint Social Care

Hello Mackdaddy69, I'm sorry to know you're experiencing issues with the GPS on your phone. What specific issues are you having with the GPS?

Does it drop the connection? In all cases, to begin with, try pulling down the notification shade and swipe along to find Airplane mode. Turn it on and then off again. Now retest your GPS. If you have a case on your LG G5, then take it off and see if your GPS works any better. Take a look in Settings > General > Location > Mode and make sure that High accuracy (GPS and networks) is on. If it is, you might want to test Device sensors only (GPS only) to see if it makes any difference.

Ciara
Sprint Social Care
Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat