cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LG G5 GPS failure

Journeyman

Re: LG G5 GPS failure

I have had an Lg G5 for a little bit over a year now and this seems to be a reoccurring problem for me as well. I bought my first G5 in July of 2016 and I quickly realized that the GPS system was failing and I tried everything I could do to fix it: 1. turning on and off airplane mode, making sure my device was in high accuracy mode, even downloading gps and satellite tracking and signal boosting apps......Nothing worked. Since I had the warranty, and I assumed this was going to be an easy fix (just a hardware problem) I contacted Sprint and got a new Lg G5. However on the NEW device, the location services STILL did not work. It struggled to find my location, but even when it did, and I could start driving with maps, the signal would be lost and I would have to wait on it to load. I cannot afford to keep buying phones and I do not know what to do. 

Thanks,

Elijah

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have had an Lg G5 for a little bit over a year now and this seems to be a reoccurring problem for me as well. I bought my first G5 in July of 2016 and I quickly realized that the GPS system was failing and I tried everything I could do to fix it: 1. turning on and off airplane mode, making sure my device was in high accuracy mode, even downloading gps and satellite tracking and signal boosting apps......Nothing worked. Since I had the warranty, and I assumed this was going to be an easy fix (just a hardware problem) I contacted Sprint and got a new Lg G5. However on the NEW device, the location services STILL did not work. It struggled to find my location, but even when it did, and I could start driving with maps, the signal would be lost and I would have to wait on it to load. I cannot afford to keep buying phones and I do not know what to do. 

Thanks,

Elijah

Sprint Social Care

elijahsblack,

Hey! Thank you for taking the time to bring this situation to us. I would like to work on possible solutions to this issue, please very if your software is up to date software up to date, have you tried taking the SIM card out of the device and put it back on?

Kryshna
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

Hello,

I love my LG 5 but notice a similar problem with the GPS.

It is inconsistent and often slow to recognize my location when I drive and accept a ride request.

The other day I lost google maps all together.

This is a recent problem but otherwise the phone has worked flawlessly since June 2016 when I purchased at Best Buy.  I am a long-time Sprint customer and hope there is a solution.

Thank you.

Sprint Social Care

Hello gbcallahan, if you're having issues with your GPS navigation or Google Maps on your LG G5, this could either be due to a software issue or the GPS antenna in your phone. Most of the time it's a software issue and you can resolve it by modifying the following settings:

Go to Settings > Location (in the General tab).

Tap on "Mode".

Select "High accuracy".

Mayorin
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

Thank you, Mayorin.

Yes.  I am all set with the high accuracy. I had already explored and set up that option. I'll report back once I notice the effect.

Do you think wifi-enabled plus the Sprint network is better than GPS receptivity on Sprint network alone?

Thanks very much.

Grace Callahan

Sprint Social Care

gbcallahan,

Hello! It should work good both ways. Also, please make the software update on the device is up to date.

Kryshna
Sprint Social Care
Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat