cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LG G6 Android Oreo (8.0) update

Journeyman

LG G6 Android Oreo (8.0) update

Hi guys,

Anyone have an idea of when the LG G6 is going to get the Oreo update?

The OS was released in August of 2017, it's almost February and I'm curious to see what's going on.

136 REPLIES 136
Community Manager

Re: LG G6 Android Oreo (8.0) update

Each Android and manufacturer update has to be tested and tweaked before it's released to Sprint devices so it can take a while after release before you get it on your own phone.  We don't usually find out that an update is coming until just about the same time you're notified that it's available, so unfortunately we probably won't have a head's up about availability.  However, we do try to post release notes once it's been sent out and we've been notified.  Every so often I don't get those, so I went back and checked but the latest update is the one I posted in here in November.

SeaWolf
Sprint Community Manager & Customer Advocate
Captain of the Vicious Cream-puff
I encourage you to post your questions on the community, give Kudos when earned and always mark the correct answer as "Accepted Solution".

Journeyman

I understand the testing and etc., figured someone here worked at Sprint on the updates and would have an idea as to what was going on. LG seems to blame carriers for updates so they are not helpful at all.

Thanks for getting back to me, I guess I now know not to buy one of LG's phones again.
GrandMaster

this is the way it is done with ALL carrier branded devices..doesnt matter the manufacturer..the only devices that get the updates directly without the carrier testing are the Google/Nexus type devices.
I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted
Journeyman

I know they need to be tested but the updates still originate from manufacturers.

Also, there was a new update today, it looks like the January 1 security update.

GrandMaster

the update originates from Google in this case..then its passed onto the manufacturers who do their thing with it..then its kicked to the carrier so they can do their testing to make sure said manufacturers things done didnt bork it up somehow..then once the ok is given then its set to be released..same way its been done forever now.
I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
GrandMaster

i just manually checked for the update you mentioned and received it. downloading it now..odds are its just a security patch and possibly a few bug fixes..havent got to the part yet where it usually says what it contained lol.
Journeyman

Well next week will be interesting if it takes sprint that long to send out updates.

GrandMaster

Verizon nor TMO's G6 has it yet either.

Journeyman

What'd your deal man? All you do is come up with excuses as to why this phone doesn't get updates.

Who cares if Verizon or T-Mobile don't have updates? This is a Sprint forum for an LG device, one which was sold as a flagship in 2017.

This phone is still running an OS from 2016, and hasn't had a security updates in months, and still doesn't have an OS that was released back in August of 2017. I think that's fair grounds for complaining, if only to inform others to stay away from LG's phones as there is zero after sales support and communication from them.
GrandMaster

im pointing out what should be obvious. it just has not kicked out yet..you tend to make it sound like the carrier is in control of when the OS updates get pushed out..which is not the case in the least..they are (as are the other carriers) at the mercy of the manufacturers. if they cant get the updates taken care of with their add ins without messing it up there really isnt much the carrier can do correct?

im running the same device there sport.

Journeyman

Easy there sally, I simply asked for an update - who do you think would hear from LG first, Sprint or us?  I'm asking Sprint if they have heard any dates from LG.  

Slow your roll 

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat