cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LG OPTIMUS S- NO FLASH SUPPORT

Go to solution
Journeyman

I have read all over the internet that this phone cannot support flash due to the hardware in  it.

Regardless of it having Android 2.2 it can't support Flash.

I went into my nearby Sprint store and had to have an argument with the guy working in there.

He acted like I was crazy.  Said I could download a flash enabled browser.

I left and he never did believe me.  Am I wrong to is the Sprint rep wrong?

And, how important is Flash?  I like the price on this phone.

Tags (3)
8 REPLIES 8
Wizard

Re: LG OPTIMUS S- NO FLASH SUPPORT

You are correct, the hardware does not support it even though it's available on Android 2.2.

From wikipedia:

One of the uses of Adobe Flash is to create a flash intro, a piece of animated content displayed at the beginning of a website.  Often, the main content is loading in the background, while the  animated content is displayed in the foreground. The intent is to  captivate the user's attention so that he or she does not stray from the  site, although it may do the opposite as it slows the user from  accessing the actual site and can be tedious for users with slow  internet connections. The quality of such content is usually  marketing-centric. Often a "skip" or "skip intro" button is prepared to  allow more immediate access to the site's homepage.

From a usability perspective, the intros are regarded as more of a  time-consuming distraction toward reaching the more valuable homepage  content. A Flash intro also renders the entire website invisible to  users of iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch who enter via the homepage, as these devices do not support Flash and the user cannot skip past the intro page.

Journeyman

Sprint Rep,

What does any of that Wiki info have to do with the phone supporting or not supporting flash? There are a number of things I was able to do on my previous phone that do not run on this phone because it isn't capable of flash. I don't care if flash is occasionally used to try to keep my attention, it is also used as an integral part to a number of my regular websites that I can no longer access.

Sprint Product Ambassador

The key point is - Adobe has not built a version of Flash that will support this hardware.  Specifically, the CPU is in use do not support a specific instruction that is in Flash 10.1 (per XDA Developers).  Adobe has made the Flash player to use specific instructions in the high-end Snapdragon and Hummingbird processors.

Specifically, the Optimus S runs the Qualcom MSM7627, an ARM6 design, while Flash 10.1 requires the ARM7 CPU.

I thank you for your interest in this issue, but unfortunately, Sprint cannot fix the issue.  We do offer several other phones that do support Adobe Flash; if you are within your first 30 days you can switch to another phone that more closely meets your needs.

Thanks again!

Will

Product Ambassador, long time Sprint employee
Journeyman

then i going to have change the phone for another better who can play video on the browser

Journeyman

Just download Skyfire browser free from the Market.  It will play your flash videos.

Journeyman

Skyfire 3.0 only has limited flash support if your device doesn't have flash installed locally. I've tried. It's part of their new strategy for employing local browser services as much as possible.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Does any phone have adobe flash yet

Sprint Product Ambassador

Yes, the HTC Evo, HTC Evo Shift and Samsung Epic (with Android 2.2, coming this week) all support Adobe Flash.

Product Ambassador, long time Sprint employee
Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat