cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LG Optimus S Short Battery Life?

Highlighted
Journeyman

LG Optimus S Short Battery Life?

I am coming from a dumbphone background so please excuse my ignorance if this has already been thoroughly examined.

Right now I have a family plan which consists of 3 Optimus phones and I am currently having some concerns regarding the battery life on the Optimus.

I got the Optimus just two days ago - but I am not quite sure if what I am experiencing is considered abnormal behavior and merits a Sprint Free Guarantee exchange. (I understand that smartphones consume more power than dumbphones, but I am not quite sure if the battery life I am experiecing is abnormal, since I am getting no where near the written specs)

1) For one of the phones (my phone), I am a fairly light user (maybe a few texts every few hours, looking at a webpage every few hours, and looking at the time here and there, no calls) and the phone is currently set to (Wifi/BT/GPS/Autosync: off, Brightness: dimmest, BG data: off) with no application syncing or checking anything at a predefined interval (weatherbug check turned off, etc). As far as I can see, the battery is running down at approximately 6%/hr (this is with full or almost full bars reception, no roaming) and Battery Use info telling me 47% cell standby (no Time without signal errors), Phone idle - 44%, Android system - 7%, and Display 3%.

- For users having usage profile similar to mine, is the battery running down at 6%/hr normal? Extrapolating from this rate, my device can hardly survive a day without the battery dying the next day.  I have searched around in this forum and have seen people running their Optimuses for a couple days without charging even with everything turned on (Wifi, BT, autosync, etc). Should I contact Sprint or LG to attempt a battery/device replacement?

2) For two of my other phones (at another location, getting approximately 4/6 bars reception), the battery is completely drained out in less than a day. Looking at the Battery usage, it seems like that the Cell standby consists more than 70% of the battery use (along with approximately 50% without signal, despite the signal indicators consistently show around 4 bars of signal). I have heard that this is a bug in Froyo and is causing battery usage problems. However, it seems that this error message only appears at that location where the phones are located. Is there something wrong with this? What can be done to resolve these issues?

Any comments would be appreciated.

31 REPLIES 31
Highlighted
Wizard

I just checked my "time without signal" and it's at 50%.  Except that the phone has not had any problems receiving text messages or connecting to the internet or making phone calls all day long.  Thus, the "actual" time without signal is zero, it's just reporting time without a signal.

I'm not yet convinced that simply reporting time without signal drains battery if you actually do have signal (if that makes any sense).

Highlighted
Journeyman

I see what you are saying, but a lot of people are apparently having their batteries actually drained due to this bug.

It's possible therefore that the phone is amplifying its signal in anticipation of a low incoming signal or that it is doing something else (such as trying to look for a GSM network instead) that is making it drain battery.

I do keep mine plugged in quite often so I haven't had a chance to examine the battery usage when this bug is occurring.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Even though this problem is across different carriers due to an Android platform issue, Sprint should be working to find a fix since it seriously affects customer experience.  It is ridiculous I have to settle for some work around bug fix on a brand new phone.

Calling Sprint, they have dropped my call five times now.  They keep transferring me to first level support people who don't understand the issue. Someone at Sprint gave me a number for tech support that was bogus.  They act like they haven't heard about the "Time without Service" bug and aren't interested in listening to me when I tell them it is a problem they should be looking into.  Sorry, I am frustrated right now.

Call 888-211-4727, enter phone number, 4, 4

Help me get them to listen. They shouldn't be selling a phone that has a bug in the operating system that ultimately prevents users from using the phone.  This version of the operating system should be taken off the market until they have a permanent solution.

Thanks,

Pam

Highlighted
Journeyman

Finally.  I got a hold of a guy in real tech support who understands the issue (Gary).  Sprint doesn't have this listed as a known issue as far as he can tell, and he is discussing it with his supervisors.  He said realistically a fix for this might be a month out since Sprint will have to coordinate with both LG and Google to resolve the Android OS problem.  I am still within 30 days of being able to return my phone, and I may do that if there isn't a longterm fix.

I will let you guys know what they come back with.

Update: Reported the issue to Sprint.  They basically said they can't do anything and told me to call LG. Here is LG's number: 800-793-8896.

Message was edited by: MW99ND

Highlighted
Journeyman

In short, I would like to thank you for taking a proactive stance against this issue.

However, I do not believe either LG or Sprint is able to correct this problem themselves without Google working this problem out.

Unfortunately, many Android users are having the same issue (not just localized to the LG Optimus) - but not a lot of people are willing to compromise their Android phone that is feature rich for some other.

Perhaps voting (starring) the issue here would help Google take this into their radars: http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=13744

Highlighted
Wizard

I toggled airplane mode and unplugged my phone yesterday at 5:45 pm.  At 11:45 pm I was down to 78% battery.  The "without signal" percentage was only 2%.  It appears that toggling airplane mode works for me.  I can just use Setting Profiles by Probeez to toggle airplane mode at 4am everyday, just to make sure I have a "fresh" signal.

I typically keep my phone plugged in at work, but I'll just leave it unplugged to see how well it goes.  I have wifi at home, so the increased battery life may be due to the wifi connection.  The test at work should be more relevant.

Constantly plugging in and unplugging your phone will reduce the life of a lithium ion battery.  However, leaving your phone plugged in all the time can increase the life of the battery.  The battery has some wear each time you use it and charge it, so a lot of recharging reduces the life.  On the other hand, once the battery is full, the battery stops being charged or used, and the phone runs on the power from your cord.  Since the battery is not being used, then the battery is not getting wear, thus extending the useful lifetime of the battery.  So, each person should decide for their personal lifestyle whether it's better to keep the phone on the charger, or only charge it twice a day (for example).

Highlighted
Journeyman

We are in the same boat .  I'm roaming in my house & the battery went from 100%at 7am  to 42% by 10am and I only made 1 call

Highlighted
Wizard

It's been three hours off the charger.  I've had the following running:

• 30 minutes: Wifi on (without signal)
  • 90 minutes: Music playing
  • 30 minutes: Internet in use
  • 15 text messages
  • 2 email, 1 calendar event, and 2 task notifications
  • All 3 hours: Autosync and GPS enabled, screen at 50%, and about 12-15 apps "running" in the background (I don't use a task killer) and 20 services running in the background

The battery went from 100% to 70% (yes, exactly 70%) with the following statistics:

• 38% Astro Player Nova
  • 21% Cell Standby (8% without a signal)
  • 18% Wifi
  • 10% Phone idle
  • 10% Display
  • 7% Other (Android OS, Mediaserver, Android system)

Personally, I am satisfied with these results.  I have no reason to complain about a poor battery life.  Now if I could just figure out why you aren't getting similar results.

I just ended the eighth hour, and I still have 26% charge left.  This time my time without signal is 50%, but I have improved battery life compared to the first three hours with 8% without signal.  For my phone, it appears the time without signal is not affecting battery life, rather it's just a display of incorrect information.

Rounded out the fourteenth hour.  the phone has 5% battery left.  The time without signal is still 50%.  I noticed the "time on" is over a full day, when it clearly has not been a full day.  I think it's showing double the time and half of it as "time without signal".  It makes sense that this would not affect my battery life because it's just bad math.  Looks like the most recent 6 hours have a better battery life than any previous time period, even with the signal bug.  On the other hand, the last five hours have been on wifi.

Message was edited by: beliving (added text in green)

Message was edited by: beliving (added text in blue)

Journeyman

Good idea!

I went ahead and starred it as a Google issue, if everyone could do the same:

http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=13744&q=%22time%20without%20service%22&colspec=ID%20Type%20Status%20Owner%20Summary%20Stars

I spent an hour and a half on hold with LG last night then they just dropped my call.

Thinking about returning my phone and getting another.  However, would other phones running the Android 2.2 platform (such as the new Evo Shift) have this same exact problem?

Thanks,

Pam

Highlighted
Wizard

The bug you hyperlinked to says the following:

Theory:
I do not believe this has any actual impact on battery but rather is a display issue.  I think the phone is including the information for CDMA time without signal and GSM time without signal.  Because our phones don't have a GSM radio, the time without signal for GSM is going to be 100% and typically, the time without signal for CDMA is going to be 0% which results in the display of 50%.

Thus, the "time without signal" may not have anything to do with your battery life.  I think that your battery life will be worse with any other Android phone.  Android 2.2 is supposed to be a more efficient operating system, thus not a contributing factor to the poor battery life.  Not all Optimuses (Optimi?) are experiencing the same issue concerning battery life, thus it must be somehow device specific.  I think that if we could just figure out what settings and usage patterns are different for the high battery drain phones, then we could find a solution.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I am also experiencing the high "cell standby" memory usage and time without signal..despite having a usable signal almost 100% of the time.

What I have noticed is the "Time on" is not only inaccurate, but fluctuates up and down by quite a bit as you check it.  For example, if I turn my phone on at 12:00, and check it at 1:00, the time on can be listed at 2 hr 13 min or something.. then check it again at 1:15 and it'll be 1 hr 32 min.  Those numbers are just examples but it's wacky...

LG Optimus S, 2.2 Froyo

Highlighted
Journeyman

Here is the thread over on the LG Forum:

http://www.lgforum.com/forum/boards/carriers/sprint/topics/lg-optimus-s-and-the-time-without-service-android-os-bug-battery-drain

If you are also having this problem, please call their technical support and report it.  The more reports they get, the more likely they will look into the situation.

LG Technical Support: 800-793-8896

Thanks,

Pam

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat