cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LG Optimus S Short Battery Life?

Highlighted
Journeyman

LG Optimus S Short Battery Life?

I am coming from a dumbphone background so please excuse my ignorance if this has already been thoroughly examined.

Right now I have a family plan which consists of 3 Optimus phones and I am currently having some concerns regarding the battery life on the Optimus.

I got the Optimus just two days ago - but I am not quite sure if what I am experiencing is considered abnormal behavior and merits a Sprint Free Guarantee exchange. (I understand that smartphones consume more power than dumbphones, but I am not quite sure if the battery life I am experiecing is abnormal, since I am getting no where near the written specs)

1) For one of the phones (my phone), I am a fairly light user (maybe a few texts every few hours, looking at a webpage every few hours, and looking at the time here and there, no calls) and the phone is currently set to (Wifi/BT/GPS/Autosync: off, Brightness: dimmest, BG data: off) with no application syncing or checking anything at a predefined interval (weatherbug check turned off, etc). As far as I can see, the battery is running down at approximately 6%/hr (this is with full or almost full bars reception, no roaming) and Battery Use info telling me 47% cell standby (no Time without signal errors), Phone idle - 44%, Android system - 7%, and Display 3%.

- For users having usage profile similar to mine, is the battery running down at 6%/hr normal? Extrapolating from this rate, my device can hardly survive a day without the battery dying the next day.  I have searched around in this forum and have seen people running their Optimuses for a couple days without charging even with everything turned on (Wifi, BT, autosync, etc). Should I contact Sprint or LG to attempt a battery/device replacement?

2) For two of my other phones (at another location, getting approximately 4/6 bars reception), the battery is completely drained out in less than a day. Looking at the Battery usage, it seems like that the Cell standby consists more than 70% of the battery use (along with approximately 50% without signal, despite the signal indicators consistently show around 4 bars of signal). I have heard that this is a bug in Froyo and is causing battery usage problems. However, it seems that this error message only appears at that location where the phones are located. Is there something wrong with this? What can be done to resolve these issues?

Any comments would be appreciated.

31 REPLIES 31
Highlighted
Wizard

The only thing is that this bug does not cause your battery to drain.  Toggle airplane mode to disable the bug, and you can see that the battery will drain just as fast as before.

I tested it on my own Optimus and discovered there is not difference in battery drain when it reports 2% without signal for 3 hours or 50% without signal for 3 hours.  If you watch the "time on" you will notice that when it reports 50% without signal, the "time on" is double the true time on.  Thus, it's simply bad math, not an actual hardware/firmware problem.

Highlighted
Journeyman

That's good that it doesn't drain your battery any faster!

I wonder what causes the incorrect times though, it's not just 2x the time without signal.  Today I checked my phone, which had been unplugged for roughly 8 hours.. The top of the Battery Use screen stated 59m 19s since unplugged.  The "Time on" from the Cell standby screen listed 33m 42s.  Not even close??

Highlighted
Journeyman

If you are having this issue, usually closing and reopening the Battery Info will cause the information to refresh. At least that works for me.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I am having the same low battery life, but it just started being really noticable last week.  My battery went from 100% to 80% in under an hour of being unplugged.  Now, it won't last a day unless I put it into Airplane mode, but what's the point of that?  I want to be able to use my phone.  I cheked the battery use and the Android system is using ridiculously high battery, anywhere from 20-37% from a reboot.  I don't know what's causing this. A Sprint tech friend of mine says it shouldn't be that high from a reboot.  He even compared it to his EVO , which was only using 7% or less.  I know the EVO's processor is much faster than the Optimus S, but it still shouldn't be running that high and killig my battery.  Any suggestions?

Highlighted
Wizard

I think I have had this happen to me once, but I can't reproduce it.  I can go from 8am to 10pm with normal use, however, I typically have my phone on the charger while at work.  One day, I took the phone off the charger at 11am, went home for lunch and forgot to plug my phone back in.  By 3:30pm, the phone was in the red for battery.  It was very warm to the touch, and the Android system was the top percentage, where normally it's cell standby.

I took the battery out and let the phone cool with the battery out for 15 minutes.  Then plugged it back in for the rest of the afternoon, and the phone has never done that again.  Can you retrace your steps?  Perhaps there is something in common that we can possibly figure out how this could happen.  Perhaps something to note is that I have wifi at home.  Not sure if that is relevant.

Highlighted
Journeyman

From using the Optimus for a while now, it occurs to me that the Android system process will only jump to the top for CPU intensive processes. For example, if you accidentally left Google Goggles open without closing it properly (press Home instead of Back, although sometimes I believe it still leaves the camera open for some reason). Or if have music playing in the background that was muted and forgot to close it. Usually those are the cases where I find the Android system process shot all the way to the top. Otherwise, I find it to be fairly reasonable now. (Especially now I am used to charging it more often, lol)

Highlighted
Journeyman

So, I got rid of my Optimus S and got a Nexus S.  Battery life is great . . . will go for 20 plus hours. Of course, the Nexus S has its own problem - weak signal and dropped calls.  Sheesh . . . just trading in one problem for another. 🙂

Highlighted
Wizard

Sorry about the weak signal.  That's a bummer.  I suppose battery life would increase if you cut the energy used by the antenna.

After experiencing the Samsung Moment, Intercept, and Transform, I have decided not to buy phones made by Samsung, unless they are getting great user feedback. 

Perhaps they can figure out how to divert more juice to the antenna, but then you may experience battery life like what you had with the Optimus.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat