cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LG Optimus S Short Battery Life?

Highlighted
Journeyman

LG Optimus S Short Battery Life?

I am coming from a dumbphone background so please excuse my ignorance if this has already been thoroughly examined.

Right now I have a family plan which consists of 3 Optimus phones and I am currently having some concerns regarding the battery life on the Optimus.

I got the Optimus just two days ago - but I am not quite sure if what I am experiencing is considered abnormal behavior and merits a Sprint Free Guarantee exchange. (I understand that smartphones consume more power than dumbphones, but I am not quite sure if the battery life I am experiecing is abnormal, since I am getting no where near the written specs)

1) For one of the phones (my phone), I am a fairly light user (maybe a few texts every few hours, looking at a webpage every few hours, and looking at the time here and there, no calls) and the phone is currently set to (Wifi/BT/GPS/Autosync: off, Brightness: dimmest, BG data: off) with no application syncing or checking anything at a predefined interval (weatherbug check turned off, etc). As far as I can see, the battery is running down at approximately 6%/hr (this is with full or almost full bars reception, no roaming) and Battery Use info telling me 47% cell standby (no Time without signal errors), Phone idle - 44%, Android system - 7%, and Display 3%.

- For users having usage profile similar to mine, is the battery running down at 6%/hr normal? Extrapolating from this rate, my device can hardly survive a day without the battery dying the next day.  I have searched around in this forum and have seen people running their Optimuses for a couple days without charging even with everything turned on (Wifi, BT, autosync, etc). Should I contact Sprint or LG to attempt a battery/device replacement?

2) For two of my other phones (at another location, getting approximately 4/6 bars reception), the battery is completely drained out in less than a day. Looking at the Battery usage, it seems like that the Cell standby consists more than 70% of the battery use (along with approximately 50% without signal, despite the signal indicators consistently show around 4 bars of signal). I have heard that this is a bug in Froyo and is causing battery usage problems. However, it seems that this error message only appears at that location where the phones are located. Is there something wrong with this? What can be done to resolve these issues?

Any comments would be appreciated.

31 REPLIES 31
Highlighted
Journeyman

I feel the same way i just moved over from tmobile cause of dropped calls and got a great deal with Sprint but i got the LG Optimus S and i feel the battery life sucks ..I do use it more than the norm but still it drains to quickly and i feel the phone get really hot not sure if this normal ..anyone having same issues ..we have the 30 days and it aint looking so good

Highlighted
Journeyman

I just looked at my battery status again. It seems like I am starting to have the same 50% Time without Signal bug now similar to the other phones in my family plan. Turning on and then off airplane mode seems to fix this temporarily.

Besides the 50% bug, it seems like that Gallery now popped out on top of the list as the top battery consumer after 8 hours at night yesterday. (The phone claimed that Gallery consumed more than 60% of the battery lost during the night) Googling this informed me that this is a known Android bug, with Gallery continuously using the sensor even though it is inactive and/or not being used. Replacing the stock Gallery application with a 3rd party one seemed to have fixed this issue. (Now the battery drops approximately 1% every hour rather than 6% every hour, which is a significant difference compared to what I am getting before)

@picguy37: How are you using your phone? Did you try to look in Battery Use and see how the battery is being used? Maybe that might shred some light in why the battery is being drained so quickly. Good luck.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Additional advice I found:Go to the android market and get the app killer. Ive had my Optimus for 3 days and the battery seems to have lasted longer once i started killing apps not in use. Anyone know whats the 3rd party app to manage the Gallery?

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have heard that the Gallery application cannot be "killed". It simply gets restarted by the Android system.

I used to have a task killer, but stopped using it after being convinced that it isn't doing much in Froyo.

Wonder if it actually does anything for battery life...

Highlighted
Wizard

I think a full day of use is typical for the Optimus.  If someone is getting more use than one day, they are probably connected to wifi all day and have full bars Sprint signal, with their screen at 50%.  When I'm at home all day, I can still have 60% battery by 11pm.  When I'm out and about, I get similar battery life as what you experience.  I get even less battery life when wearing chainmail armor.

Really, though, I use a program called Setting Profiles by Probeez to manage when my wifi is on or off, screen brightness, airplane mode (at church), an a number of other settings.  There's a free version so you can see some of the possibilites.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I just got the Optimus last week and just in the past few days the Gallery has been eating roughly 50% of my battery every day.  I've tried to force stop it, but it just keeps coming back.  So far i haven't had much luck finding a fix for it.

jake

Highlighted
Wizard

Weird.  Gallery doesn't even show up on my list of battery users, neither is it on running apps or running services.

Could there be a different application calling for the gallery?  Perhaps some internet photo sharing app, if something like that even exists?

Highlighted
Journeyman

My phone is saying that 59% of the battery has been eaten up by phone Stand By where I was without a signal 66% of the time.  Is there a way to prevent this from draining my battery???

Highlighted
Journeyman

As far as I know - for the Gallery issue - the only way to fix that issue is to replace the System Gallery application with a third party one which does not have this issue. (I am guessing if you never really take pictures Gallery won't be started but then I could very well be wrong about this)

As for the Time Without Signal bug, it is quite well known for Android phones - as some probably already have mentioned - the only workaround is to plug in your phone to a charger, turn on airplane mode, then turn it off, and unplug your phone from the charger. This will reset the Time Without Signal and now I usually get less than 5% TWS. Hope that helps.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Seems like a short term fix to toggle the airplane mode.  How long does it last?  And is there any other solution?  Does it occur due to a weak signal or just a bug in general?

Thanks,

Pam

Highlighted
Journeyman

AFAIK, it lasts as long as the phone is on. Once you turn off the phone you will have to repeat the same procedures or you will get the same bug.

Also, it doesn't seem to really relate to the actual amount of signal you are getting at your location, because this bug happens even if you are in a location with perfect reception.

See: http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=13744

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat