cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LG Optimus S issues

Journeyman

Re: LG Optimus S SD memory card issues

Yeah I had that problem as well. I ended up swapping the card out with a 4 gig one that I bought for my Samsung Exclaim. No error messages since.

Journeyman

I have been having the same issue. I went and traded my phone and am having the same issue with the new phone and new card. So, it isn't the card.

Wizard

HOLLYWOOD6913 wrote:

I have been having the same issue. I went and traded my phone and am having the same issue with the new phone and new card. So, it isn't the card.

With the same logic, one could also say it isn't the phone, either.  That just leaves the operator...

(That is supposed to be a mildy humorous jab at selective reasoning.  I do not actually believe the operator is at fault.)

Really, though, I hope somebody figures this out for you all.  I had the Samsung Moment, so I understand the frustration of a buggy phone.  I don't seem to be able to replicate the problem on my Optimus.  At least with the Moment, all phones could reproduce the bugs given the steps. Is there any way to consistently reproduce the problem?

Message was edited by: beliving (added text in green)

Journeyman

I had the same problem with my phone also. I just went out and bought a bigger sd card and the problem went away and hasn't come back yet.

Journeyman

I just bought a kodak 4g minisd for 9.99 at my local office max,  since then i have not had any issue and its been 3 days. i dont know what class it is, i just know it was a kodak 4gb mini card.

Journeyman

In speaking to the sprint technician, its the android version thats on the phone that wont allow apps to go over.

Journeyman

I'm in the same boat!   We're talking about SD cards right?  I keep on getting error messages about my SD card, "preparing to mount card," "card was unexpectedly removed" etc...

I am going in tomorrow to exchange the phone but if the phone is the issue, then things will be resolved, if the card is the issue then I 'll find out in a few days because I think I may carry my card over to the new phone.  I hope this get resolved.

Journeyman

I have the same problem with the SD Card. Does that explain why my ringtones keep resetting? I would download free ringtones from the market for a specific artist that has several songs that I can set as a ringtone, but after a few hours they would all reset to default phone ringtones. Noone has been able to tell me why its doing that. I called Spring tech support and they said that my phone shouldn't be doing that and that I need to go back to the store and replace it. So I did, but the moment I walked out the store and turned my phone on again it gave me the message about the SD card being prepared or what not.

Wizard

I agree with your logic.  If you put your old card into a new phone, and still have the issue, then the card must be the problem.  On the other hand, since the card is probably the problem, perhaps you should replace that first?  There is a reason why this phone is so inexpensive, they may not have gotten a good quality sd card.

I recommend getting a class 6 sd card.  I use a 8 GB class 6 card, and have no issues.  The class 6 card is a better performance card.  Since you will probably want to put some applications on the SD card, you should have a better experience by using a faster card.  Check the little number in a circle on your SD card: 2, 4, or 6.  An 8 GB class 6 micro SD card can be purchased on Amazon for $20.

Journeyman

It appears that the phone is fussy about the Micro-SD card used. But Sprint and LG provide no specification or requirements for the card.  The 2,4,6 mentioned in another post simply refers to the write speed of the card.  There is not any published spec on this phone for a specific card speed.

Also, with normal use, an average Micro-SD card should outlast the useful life of the phone.  So I don't think anyone should be worried about the post talking about a Micro-SD card being a limited use item.  The estimate of 2 years I saw seems very unrealistic and does not support my experience with Micro-SD cards.  Be careful what information you read on forums.  Not all of it is accurate.

There is another post that acknowledges a problem with seeing SD Cards on the Optimus S.  So I suspect this is a total LG issue.  Hopefully we will see a fix shortly.

See this post.

http://support.sprint.com/support/article/Troubleshoot_SD_card_error_on_your_LG_Optimus_S/case-wh164...

It would be nice to see Sprint step in and render a statement here so we can all stop running in circles and spending needless money on SD cards without knowing exactly what we should be using.

The quality of the manual provided with this phone is terrible and there are many topics that have little to no information provided.  This is a Sprint issue that should be addressed.

Try to find any info on Importing an Address book from another phone.  There is nothing.  But that is for another post.  I hope Sprint and LG resolves the Micro-SD card issue soon.

Wizard

For me, an estimate of 2-3 years is a conservative measure to protect myself from data loss.  I had an SD card for 4 years in my camcorder, when it suddenly failed with no warning.  All the pictures on it were lost.  We typically move all the pictures to the computer every 3 months or so, but now I am missing three months of pictures of our children.  I do not intend to let that happen again.

Under "normal use" the SD card should last 10 years. http://www.sdcard.org/consumers/faq/#servicelife However, I think that when people continually load videos, music, pictures, and high use Android applications on their SD card, they are no longer in the "normal use" category.  In addition, some  programs are using the SD card for temporary cache memory.  That's a lot of SD card usage.

The only thing I can say for sure is this:  I have an 8 GB class 6 micro SD card, and have never experienced the SD card issue.

It is a personal choice to either wait for Sprint and LG to make a "fix" or simply replace the SD card yourself.  I had the Samsung Moment, and waited for 12 months before they fixed the issue concerning the phone not being able to make phone calls when leaving a wifi area.  I would not be too optimistic of a swift fix on an SD card issue.

Journeyman

Re: LG Optimus S issues

Hello. I just purchased my LG Optimus on Wednesday last week. One for me and one for my fiancee. Either way, we have had no problems with his phone at all. My phone has been a different story. On a regular basis I receive SD card error messages ranging from, "SD card safe to remove," "Preparing to remove SD card," "SD card removed." I was also having problems with the screen being slow to respond when I was trying to move from one screen to the next. I originally thought the problem was me but I can use his phone with no problems or issues at all. I took the phone in to be serviced this Sunday and they did a hard reset and calibrated the screen. Since then I have had no problems with the screen responding but I am still getting the SD card error messages. After doing some research of my own I found that a lot of people are having this problem. I called Sprint to see what the next step was that I needed to be taking to get this situation taken care of and the lady I spoke with told me that this is a known problem through the manufacturer and LG is working on correcting it. She wasn't sure if whatever fix they were coming up with was going to fix phones that had already been purchased but told me that I could exchange the phone at my local Sprint store without having to pay the restocking fee because it is a manufacturer issue. I have plans on going this afternoon to exchange the phone for the same model because I like the phone I just don't like dealing with a messed up phone. The one question I have not been able to figure out is if the people having this same problem are all using the same colored phone. Right now the only two color options are purple and charcoal. I have the purple one and James has the charcoal one. The only problems we have noticed have been on the purple phone. If you don't mind me asking what color is the phone that you are having SD card issues with. If I find that the problems just seem to be with the purple phones, I will definitely be trading mine in for a charcoal colored phone. I know some people may not think there should be a problem with just one of the colors of phones but they could have been made on different assembly lines or at different times. I just want to rule out the color issue before getting the phone replaced. 

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat