cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LG Optimus S issues

Journeyman

Re: LG Optimus S issues

That's what I tried the first time I did it, now all the forums are saying you've got to format using the computer.  I tried quick formatting, and this past time I tried unclicking quick and doing it the 'long' way.. nothing's worked so far.

Journeyman

I went to Androidcentral and followed the directions for "methods know to fix SD card issue/problem - mounting, unmounting". This is found under the LG Optimus S phone thread. This method seemed to have worked for me. I placed a Kingston 4 Class, 4GB micro sd card in my phone about a week ago and I haven't had any issues with the sd card.

Wizard

Mary, I don't think Dew is actually having problems with the SD card.

Dew, if I understand you correctly, the phone is not automatically mounting/unmounting the SD card.  That's the issue people have with the Samsung 2GB card.  Rather, sometimes the apps you moved to the SD card are not showing as being available on your phone.  Then when you mount/unmount the SD card manually, the apps show up again.  Otherwise, your SD card works like normal without any issues?

I think the apps are still available to you, just not showing in the launcher.  If it happends again, try using a file explorer to navigate to /mnt/asec/ to see if the applications are still there.  If you can still navigate the SD card, then there's nothing really wrong with the phone or SD card, rather, the launcher is not recognizing the apps on the SD card.  I'm not sure if that's a software or firmware issue.

May I ask how much internal storage you have remaining? (Menu, Settings, SD card & phone storage)

Journeyman

@mary - that's the same article i used to reformat my sd card.

@beliving - you are exactly right.  i used to get the 'unmounting' error, but now i am unable to access apps on the sd card, and their shortcut icons go to generic ones.  however, when i go to remount the card, i find i need to unmount it first.  during this time, the apps do not seem to be available.  they do not appear in the app grid screen (center launcher button), and when their generic icon shortcuts are pressed they give me a "this app is not installed" error.

additionally, in the 'manage applications' settings screen, the apps are portrayed by names like "com.xxxxxxxx.xxxxxxxx" (not the usual app name), and are represented by an icon which looks like a micro sd card.

i also sometimes get a random restart, which i only realize because the screen turns on when it's on my nightstand.  i don't think the startup sound plays during this.

i have an 8 GB sandisk class 4 card installed.  it's showing 7.38 GB available.

internal phone storage is 20.79 MB.

i'd love to have more free space, but i've purged everything i don't frequently use

my dream is for sprint to beam the fix OTA and have it work perfectly one day, or to find a method that works!

do you think root would help at all?

thanks for all the help!

Wizard

I've seen this error on my phone when I had less than 25MB of storage.  If you could possibly get your internal storage closer to 35mb or even 40mb, this appears to have worked for me.  I don't really know if it's related, but I think it's a memory issue.  Try caching to the SD card when possible, and double check that every possible app is moved to the SD card.  I realize this is counter to what you want, considering the apps on the SD card are not showing right now.  However, I think that if you could increase your phone storage to over 35mb, that the issue will disappear.

Journeyman

I use Apps 2 SD to make sure I have transferred as many apps as I can to my SD card.  I wish the Optimus came with more internal memory!

I don't have any apps that I do not regularly use that I want to part with.. I did notice that Maps shows up in 4 places when I list apps in my file browser, at a cost of 5722 KB each.. is it really in 4 places on the phone, and can some of them be gotten rid of??

I've noticed a couple of times recently that only a single file that lives on the SD card becomes inaccessible.  Typically it is all of them that are located on the card, but sometimes it is just a random app.

I love the optimus, but am getting increasingly frustrated with these issues! :-/

Wizard

I agree!  It sure could use more memory.  I pretty much removed all Sprint ID packs.

I had to remove Sprint Navigation because Google already has a navigation program.  Telenav is better, in my opinion.  However, Google navigation has more streets.  Telenav still doesn't know the highway ramp by my house has been open for over half a year. Anyway, try uninstalling all the maps, then browse the Market to install it again.  My Google maps is 8.99 MB.  Then you won't have 2 navigation programs.

I also took off Sprint TV.  There are some good programs like Mickey's playhouse, but there's too much trash on Sprint TV.  It should have some parental controls.  Parental controls are also good for us parents!

Finally, you may want to consider using a backup program for apps you really want to keep, but don't use that often.  You can backup the app, uninstall it, then install it when you want to use it.  I realize how frustrating this can seem, but once you realize how few times you actually use the app, it's really not that bad.

Do you use ADW launcher or Launcher Pro?  If you do, try this:

Long press a blank spot and add a custom shortcut for an "Activity".  Scroll down to "ExternalMemory Test" and select the External Memory Test activity.  The next time the app(s) disappear, try running the diagnostic test.  I also placed a shortcut on my home screen, just in case it happens to me again before you.  We can share our results.

Journeyman

OK, new questions!

When you uninstall Maps and reinstall from the Market, does the phone (e.g. Voice Search) still know to activate it at the appropriate times?  I know it's integral to the phone and I'd hate to screw it up by deleting system software.  If you uninstall Telenav, can you get it back.. or do you need to back it up like you described?

Can you cherry pick which Sprint apps stay or go?  I don't use Sprint TV, but I like the Sprint Football app for quick access to scores and stats.

I don't use a launcher, I'm happy with the phone as is (...).  What backup program do you recommend?

Thanks so much for all the help, I am "kind of" technical but this is my first gadget in a while so I'm a bit outdated..

Wizard

The "reinstalled" version of Google maps should work just like the original, and be called into action whenever it is needed.  You will probably find that not all of the Maps will uninstall, at least one of them will just say "Uninstall Updates" instead of a regular uninstall.  Thus, it's never really fully off your phone, anyway.

Telenav was not originally on your phone.  Sprint installed it with the "Sprint ID" pack.  If you manage your Sprint ID pack, you can select which applications you want to keep, and which to uninstall.  You can save a little more space by removing the wallpapers, too.  To reinstall Telenav, just manage your Sprint ID pack again.  Open the ID program to manage your ID's.

Concerning a backup program, I personally use Astro File Manager.  It's a file explorer, but also has the ability to back up applications.  You can have the Astro backup tool have a separate shortcut on your homescreen, or simply access it from the Tools section in Astro.  Backing up apps just puts them in a convenient place for me and is faster than downloading again from the Market.

I installed some apps and got down to less than 30 mb of internal storage.  After running a few high memory apps simulatenously, three of my apps on SD were no longer available.  I tested the SD card, and it came back clean diagnostics.  I navigated to the /mnt/asec/ folder and checked for the missing apps.  Only the apps that were available had the apk in their respective folders.  There was no apk in the folders where the apps were not available.  So, I'm fairly confident that this must be a memory issue.  Once the Optimus gets dangerously low on memory, it must somehow break the connection between the part of the app that's on the SD card and the part that stays on the phone.  So, I recommend to keep your internal storage over 35 mb, which appears to be the point it works for me.

Message was edited by: beliving (added text in green)

Journeyman

The only option I get for all 4 of the Maps instances is "uninstall updates."  Does this mean there is no way to get rid of the "extra" copies?

I uninstalled Telenav, which put me at about 35 MB internal free space.  Ahh, some breathing room   I'll try to keep at least this much free and see if the problems persist.

Thank you again for all the help all, especially beliving!

Journeyman

Had the same problem with my wife's phone. We both have an Optimus. I have not had any problems with my phone. So I put her SD card in my phone and started having the problem on my phone. It was the SD card. The tech at the Sprint store gave me some b.s. story about LG is going to send out a fix for it. I told him if he just gave me a new SD card it would solve the problem. I was told they could not do that. Even though the card came with the phone, Sprint said it was a "gift." I told them it wasn't much of a gift if it doesn't work. The phone is only a month old. I went to Radio Shack and bought a 4G SanDisk card for $10. Screw Sprint. If your card says SAMSUNG on it, then that is your problem. The card we didn't have problems with does not say SAMSUNG.

Sprint edited my comment. I wrote s c r e w Sprint and they edited it out.

Message was edited by: RBECRAFT1

Wizard

This is a known issue that will be corrected in the next maintenance release.  In the interim, you can temporarily resolve this by removing and reinserting the SD card or by power cycling the phone.

The problem is with the device, not the card...although I see that some of you have had success switching out the card.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat