cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LG Rumor HUGE dissapointment Rip off!!

Journeyman

LG Rumor HUGE dissapointment Rip off!!

The Lg rumor has turned into a nightmare for me! The reason it keeps turning off on me Ive discovered, THROUGH NO HELP from MY sprint representatives I may add, is a Manufacturer Fault. As I didnt fork over insurance money on the phone Sprint refuses to help me whatsoever even though THEY sold me a BROKEN phone! I went to the trouble of finding the contact information for LG and they will repair the phone if I send it to them. They say it will be back to me in 3 to 4 weeks... 3 to 4 weeks ... are you kidding me!? they offer no option of a "loaner" phone .. im expected to purchase/borrow (Take care of my own darn problem) another phone to use during this period. after agreeing to this I asked them to mail me a label to send the phone in .. I shouldn't be required to pay the postage to fix this darned thing right?? when asked they agreed to send it ... well i NEVER recieved anything! ... I of course am going to follow this matter through.. but if your thinking of buying this phone no matter how much I love it I have to warn you not to!!!!!!!!! Unless you can and are willing to pay Sprint the insurance money to repair the broken phone they just sold you, this phoneis a DONT!

Tags (2)
3 REPLIES 3
Journeyman

Re: LG Rumor HUGE dissapointment Rip off!!

Basically,

Sprint has halted shipping new LG LX260 Rumor units to stores. The LG Rumor has a known issue where certain sets of key presses during startup can trigger a complete erasure of the phones firmware.

Sprint has isolated the issue to a specific debugging menu, intended for LG engineers to work on the device during development. Unfortunately, the menu is triggered by accessing the main menu, and/or dialing phone numbers. Sprint has not disclosed the specific code, to prevent abuse.

Clarification: The trigger is timed to function only at start up. To work around the issue, we suggest not pressing any buttons on the phone for at least 30 seconds after it has fully powered on.

The phone, once triggered, cannot be restored except at the factory. The debugging code even erases the portions of the firmware that would allow a Sprint Store to recover the device (requiring what is known in the industry as a JTAG restore, which can only be done at the LG factory or in a lab setting).

LG is working to fix the issue, by creating an updated firmware that removes the code from being accessible. Once that firmware is issued and approved, existing customers will be able to download the update over-the-air at no charge. Sprint intends to resume shipments of the LX260 Rumor to stores once devices can ship with the forthcoming update already installed.

This is the second phone in a row to need shipments halted from LG on Sprint. The LG LX160 had hardware-level issues preventing the speakerphone and caller ID display from working properly. Sprint halted shipments of the LX160 to stores until the issue could be resolved, and replaced phones for free, provided the Sprint Store had been properly informed of the silent recall.

I had the same issue, which the Sprint technician at the store gave me a run around about my device being defective and that it'll cost me $50 (since I didn't have TPE) to fix an issue that they're aware of and for a device which I've got for free as part of their promotion plan. When I refer them to this article they played dumb and made me feel like a liar since none of the people in the store have heard of this. Even with a printout, they played dumber and stated that it was back in 2007 and the issue had been fixed with the newer version, and left me leaving the store infuriated with a piece of paper weight in my hand. What I don't understand is that why would Sprint customer service risk losing customers for only $50 when nowadays it's so easy to retain customers, especially when the fault (though indirectly) lies with Sprint and its distribution channel. Why not eat the $50 fee and make the LG partner pay for it.

Master

Sandi_bubble wrote:

The Lg rumor has turned into a nightmare for me! The reason it keeps turning off on me Ive discovered, THROUGH NO HELP from MY sprint representatives I may add, is a Manufacturer Fault. As I didnt fork over insurance money on the phone Sprint refuses to help me whatsoever even though THEY sold me a BROKEN phone! I went to the trouble of finding the contact information for LG and they will repair the phone if I send it to them. They say it will be back to me in 3 to 4 weeks... 3 to 4 weeks ... are you kidding me!? they offer no option of a "loaner" phone .. im expected to purchase/borrow (Take care of my own darn problem) another phone to use during this period. after agreeing to this I asked them to mail me a label to send the phone in .. I shouldn't be required to pay the postage to fix this darned thing right?? when asked they agreed to send it ... well i NEVER recieved anything! ... I of course am going to follow this matter through.. but if your thinking of buying this phone no matter how much I love it I have to warn you not to!!!!!!!!! Unless you can and are willing to pay Sprint the insurance money to repair the broken phone they just sold you, this phoneis a DONT!

What exactly was/is wrong with your device? If it an issue with the screen going white/black/garbled, it is a known manufacturing defect in models made prior to May 2008. If that is the issue it is a free repair or replacemwnt regardless of insurance status, unless there is another obvious problem with the phone such as water damage or excessive physical damage (meaning not just a few scrapes).

The erasure issue was cleared up in the first maintenance release within a few weeks of release, it has not been an issue for a long time now.

Journeyman

I just purchased a Rumor and was disappointed when the phone kept shutting off on me. At first this just happened when I closed the keyboard but then would even happen when I opened the keyboard. I thought the phone was defective but then I discovered the battery was jostling open. If you just snap the battery shut it may slip open just enough to shut down the phone when you open and shut the keyboard. To fix this I just pushed upward on the battery sliding it up under the open-button better and have not had this problem again. I was almost ready to replace the phone before I figured out it was just a weak battery locking button.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat