cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LG Rumor Touch Message and Restarting Problems

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have recently bought a Rumor Touch in March 2011.  The phone periodically restarts itself while I am texting or while it is locked.  I also recieve an error code that says that my message could not be sent. It is error code 34.   After I recieve the error code I must turn my phone off and then back on in order to be able to send another message.  This is the worst phone I've had so far and is very annoing to use. Does anyone have these problems and does anyone else know how to fix it.  So far Sprint customr service has sent me a message saying "FreeTestMessagefromSprint" and it hasnt fixed the problem.  I called a secound time and they told me my only option was to go to a sprint store and get my phone diagonosed and get a refurbished phone for $35.  I do not want to get a refurbished phone from sprint since I purchased a refurbished phone from them before and it came with a broken battery.  They also told me I ould be without my phone for two weeks.  I am very dissipointed with Sprint and LG for making a phone that has problems and then wanting me to pay to get it fixed.  If I could leave my 2 year contract and get a new contract and a new phone I would because i would not want a new Rumor Touch whether it be refurbished or new.

Does anyone else have these problems and now a way to fix it?

8 REPLIES 8
Master

I apologize for your frustration.  The problems you describe can either be caused by hardware or software.  If after you do a factory data reset the problem persists, then the issue is hardware.  Your device should only have to be replaced if the issue is caused by hardware failure.  I am sorry you are having this issue and the only way to really resolve this if it is caused by software, is to perform a hard reset and if it persists, replace device.  If you need instructions on performing a hard reset please reply and I can provide the steps for you.  I hope this helps!

Journeyman

Yes, I suddenly couldn't text and got the error 34. When I called customer service they told me it was a tower problem and they were working on it. Two days later they were still saying it was a tower problem, even thought the phone didn't text in two different locations 35 miles apart. I called the Sprint store in my neighborhood and asked if they were able to text and they said they were. If it were a tower problem they wouldn't be able to either.

I went to the local Sprint store and after working on it for 1-1/2 hours, he signed me up for insurance, which allowed them to give me a new phone for $7. He said I could cancel the insurance after a month, so it would only cost me $7. Yes, that IS ridiculous since it's their lame design, not something I did. Also I had to spend hours redoing my settings, etc. and I had to repurchase my games, although they did give me a $25 credit to do that with (luckily I didn't have over $25 in games).

Anyhow, it's 2 days later and I'm having the same problem with the new phone (maybe it's refurbished - if so, I wasn't told that). I'm disgusted too! I still have over a year to go on my contract, but I'm about ready to just refuse to pay the remainder of the contract since they're not holding up their end of the contract. Up until now I've been very happy with Sprint but this has me angry!

The guys at the store and the customer service people have all been very nice and done the best they can, but that doesn't help if the phone is poorly designed and doesn't deliver.

Journeyman

That's why I dont want to pay $35 to get another phone because I am pretty sure I will still have the same problem.  I dont want to keep having to pay $35 to get what should be covered under warranty done.  Whats the point in sprint giving a one year warranty on a phone if I have to pay $35 to get my phone fixed because of a problem with  Sprints phone. I wish there was a way I could open up a new two year contract and get a different phone.  Sprint is trying to help me, but its at my expense between paying to get a refurbished phone(which could have more problems then my own) and driving back and forth to the store to get my phone fixed.  If I get another refurbished phone then I could end up with the same or more problems. But Sprint doesn't give you any other options other than getting a phone which many people have problems with over and over again.  My old phone worked a lot better and i would use it if someone else on my plan wasn't. And they only reason they are is because they recieved a refurbished phone from Sprint which we paid $50 for and the battery was broken.  Sprint doesn't give us any options with this phone and the longer I have the worse ots getting and the more I want to switch back to my old carrier. 

Journeyman

First of all, ask for the $7 a month insurance. You can cancel after one month. Yes, you shouldn't even have to pay that, but at least it's better than $35. Then call Customer Service and give them what for. They are authorized to give you a $25 a month credit. And tell them you do not want their lame defective phone and as far as you're concerned they've breached the contract and you want a different phone and you don't want to wait for 3 replacement phones to not work because you've already spent far too much time and aggravation on this.

The stores aren't authorized to bypass the 3-phone rule (you have to have 3 replacement phones not work before they can give you a different phone), but you can work through about 3 people in customer service and get to someone who can authorize it. That's what I did and I finally got someone to agree to send me a different phone. It's costing $49 and they're giving me two $25 credits to cover the cost.

Let's hope this phone works better than the LG Rumor Touch. I refused to take another LG of any kind. I'm afraid I was a little strident, but I've spent well over 8 hours on this, not to mention the aggravation and loss of use of my phone for what I needed it, so I was a little worked up. I told them they should not be selling this defective phone, and although they might think it was a free phone, I had paid for it with a two year contract which I considered they had breached.

Now I'm just hoping I'm done calling customer service and done going into the Sprint store except to have my stuff transferred over to the new phone. If not, wherever you are in the country (or out of it) you may hear me yelling from there!

Good luck!

Samisan

Journeyman

I also want to say, in all fairness, I was happy with Sprint until this happened.  Their people are always very courteous and until now I never had any problems with hardware, service or anything. Even through this problem their people are always courteous and do their best to help, although they were unable to really solve this until now (if it IS solved now - I hope the new phone works!) The people at the Sprint Store were GREAT, but they just weren't authorized to go the extra step that I needed to solve the problem.

I have no problem with Sprint except for whoever at corporate has made the decision to keep offering this lame phone instead of insisting the manufacturer fix the design flaw! It's a great phone, if only it worked! (isn't that something like saying "it's a great plane if only it would fly?")

Samisan

Journeyman

Re: LG Rumor Touch Message and Restarting Problems

Just to give you a follow up. I'm done. They gave me a Blackberry something, I guess a curve. It came with no instruction booklet. I took it to the Sprint store and she copied my contacts and settings into it. For the few hours that it worked, I noticed that when I tried to use the little ball thing, it was hard to get just the right touch. I would be opening up things I didn't want to open or it wouldn't move when I wanted it to. It also wasn't a touch screen, which was one of the reasons I went for the upgrade in the first place, signing that two year contract. Well, I had no idea how to use it, I had been told to find the manual on-line and I don't have a good internet connection at home, so I decided to wait and play with it when I could get some instructions.

It said "Low Battery" so I plugged it in to the charger. No change. All my other phones in some way had let you know they were charging. A few hours later, nothing had changed - still said low battery. The next morning, the phone was dead.

I brought it in to work and plugged it in there. I searched the web for the manual, using the information I found printed on the phone. I couldn't find it. I didn't have time to waste, I was at work. At one point an icon of a battery with a lightning bolt on it appeared on the phone. Another time an hour glass appeared, rotating. But I could get no response whenever I tried to push any buttons. And I didn't have hours to try to find the *#@+ manuals, either.

By the way, on the way to work I had car trouble and there I was, afraid of being stranded 20 miles away from home and with NO WORKING CELL PHONE!

I called customer service. When she asked what she could do for me, I honestly told her I didn't know. Once again I had to relate the story (for about the 10th time!). She had no good suggestions, so I asked to have my service returned to my old original phone which at least works! It took her about an hour and I lost all my contacts and settings.

Luckily my settings were copied into the Blackberry. I plan to stop at the Sprint store and have them copied back into my old phone. At least the old phone works, although I'm sure eventually that design flaw will disable my ability to text. Then I'm going to write a letter to Sprint. I'm going to take the letter and the lame phones to a corporate store, have them sign that they received the phones and the letter, and I'm going to look for another carrier. I've wasted FAR too much time and aggravation on this! I will refuse to pay for the games I only had for 2-3 days, and for any termination before the contract is over. THEY breached the contract, not me!

So, that's the end of this story. I'm done. I will not bill them for the over 10 hours I've spent on this or for the aggravation. They're lucky.

Journeyman

Just an update to this. I took the useless phones and a 3-page letter to a corporate store. The manager was less than helpful. By now I was done with Sprint, but just wanted to get them to fix their customer service so this wouldn't happen to someone else. Long story short - after a few more hours I managed to get an e-mail to an executive in customer service and now they're taking VERY good care of me. I now have a new Samsung phone that's an android and I was told if I didn't like that I could exchange it within 30 days. He's going to call me in a few days to see if I'm happy. There are still some billing issues, but they're being handled at the executive level.

I'll probably be staying with Sprint now - after all, I'd have to start at the bottom somewhere else. After about 16 hours of my time I now have the direct phone number and e-mail address of someone who can help me IMMEDIATELY if I have a problem. They're grateful that I perservered in order to help them improve their customer service and target where they need more training or other fixes.

My advice is - stay away from the LG Rumor phones, they have a design flaw that hasn't been fixed in at least 3 years. I loved that phone, if it had worked! As for Sprint customer service - just keep insisting on going to a higher level until you get the help you need. Make a lot of noise. If enough of us do it, it WILL get fixed.

We'll see.

Journeyman

A further update. I did exchange that phone and now I have an HTC EVO, which I love. I had to sign up for 4G, which the phone hardly ever uses and which is $10 more a month, but I made that decision and I'm glad I did. Sprint has taken very good care of me, once I reached the right people.

I was told by one of the people in the Sprint store (not a corporate store) that he had had worked for other carriers and that none of the others would have gone to these lengths to make me happy. I do believe it, they really extended themselves.

I'm very happy now with my phone and my service.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat