cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LG Rumor Touch overheating?

Highlighted
Patron

LG Rumor Touch overheating?

Has anyone had this problem? I had to visit my local Sprint store today because last night my LG Rumor Touch suddenly started rebooting itself over and over. I was watching Sprint TV when it happened. I've read that touchscreen phones are prone to overheating from excess internet use (or use of programs/apps that require the internet).

I'm not totally sure if it was overheating that caused my phone to malfunction. It was barely 2 days old. The only other thing I can think of that might've caused it was these 2 ringers I downloaded from funformobile.

7 REPLIES 7
Patron

Re: LG Rumor Touch overheating?

I also forgot to metion (if it's even worth mentioning) that I also have the Body Glove Phone Cover. If the phone did overheat, I'm wondering if the case might've added to it.

Journeyman

my wife has the rumor touch and hers started overheating yesterday in the car because we didnt have the ac on...it will shut itself off to prevent damage and when it finally cools down and you turn it back on a message will pop up saying "warning: phone was booted down to prevent damage from overheating". the case may be the problem but if you notice at any time while using your phone that its become overly or uncomfortably hot, just hold it next to a fan or ac but not too close as this may cause it to crack but after a few minutes it will cool down enough to become usable safely...hope this helps...

Journeyman

also...myxer.com has the best totally free ringtones and wallpapers to download...its 100% completely free...no hidden fees nothing...its the only one i trust...and getjar.com from the downloads button on the sprint website will give you thousands of free apps like napster and photo editors and tons of stuff to download...

Journeyman

Hey guys...my phone is only 3 days old and it started doing the same thing today.  Sometimes just on it's own and sometimes the minute I touched a button.  In 10 years of owning cell phones I've never seen that...including with my original Rumor phone.  I've never had a data plan and wondering about this overheating because of internet use...not sure why that would make a phone overheat.  I've never heard of anyone I know talking about their phone overheating or rebooting over and over.  Also...if it was shutting down to cool itself, wouldn't it stay off for a few minutes???  Mine did it about 15 times in a row and never actually powered off...it just kept rebooting.  Also...there was no sound when it was doing any of these reboots...and usually you hear the sprint jingle sound when the phone boots back up (and the sprint logo appears).

I haven't even been using the internet with it yet.  The only thing I have done is check email (which obviously connects to the internet)...but I wasn't even getting many emails.  Is there an issue with it being left in "automatic" email mode?  Meaning...I had it set to keep automatically checking for emails.  Does that just make it stay connected to the internet indefinately and that's why it overheated??  If I can't let the phone automatically check for emails then it's not very helpful.  Sure I can check 50 times a day manually, but that's a big inconvenience and waste of time.  Any insight would be appreciated.  I'm wondering if I should just return it for another phone.  But I got a good deal at walmart ($18.88), but maybe another phone will cause me less aggravation over my 2 year contract.  Is this overheating thing an issue with many touch phones, or phones that are handing email and internet???  Just seems very odd to me.  I'm wondering if it's a defective issue with the Rumor Touch.

Message was edited by: misteroz123

Patron

misteroz123 - that's exactly the problem I was having! But when I visited a Sprint store they gave me a new LG rumor phone and it's given me no problems. Well, at least no problems to the extent of my first one. I realized that whenever I have my phone plugged into the wall to charge, it overheats very easily and very quickly when I use the internet. But when it's not plugged in to charge, there are no heating issues at all. I suggest you visit a Sprint store since it's still within the 30 day return time period for you. They can probably give you a new LG Rumor and if you keep having problems then you can switch to a different phone, but you'll have to pay a "restocking" fee for your old phone.

Patron

And thank you for your input, cassienicole.

Journeyman

Thanks for your response. I don't believe Walmart charges a restocking fee.  I specifically asked what the return or exchange policy was and they didn't say anything about a fee.  I know I can exchange the phone for a new version that may not have the same problem...but my real concern is it screwing up down the road when it's out of the 30 day period.  If the problem is inherent in this model I'm trying to decide if I want to risk it longterm.  And I certainly don't want to pay $84 per year for the repair/replacement insurance...that is a ripoff.  When my phone was rebooting over and over it didn't feel hot at all.  When it did it again last night (only a couple of times) I specifically felt for heat and it wasn't even warm.  I realize it could still be internal overheating that maybe I can't feel on the case...but the phone wasn't on the internet or doing anything for that matter.  Not sure what the problem was...but it hasn't done it at all today.  I'm just trying to figure out if I should run away from this model now or give it another try.  BTW - my phone has only had the rebooting issue when it was running on battery...not when it was charging.

Message was edited by: misteroz123

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat