cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LG Warranty Cop Out

Highlighted
Journeyman

LG Warranty Cop Out

I apologize if Im breaking forum rules by posting a complaint on my first post.

Long story short, my brothers LG Lotus decided not to work one morning. The main screen on the inside would black out after a few seconds and none of the buttons responded except the end key. The external screen worked fine however.

We looked online to see if anyone else was having similar issues. To our surprise it seems to be a frequent issue with the screens blacking out because the ribbon was susceptible to hinging. Since we don't have phone insurance I had to go through LG's manufacturer warranty, the phone was only 2 months old so we were well within the 1 year. The phone was in pristine condition not even a scratch on the phone and my brother assured me it hasn't seen water, in fact he said he's never even dropped it once. Convinced, I sent the phone in to LG's facilities.

Got the phone back and the first thing I see on the notice slip: Phone returned: Unrepairable. I'm like great, where's the phone replacement? I call LG to see what's up. I'm told since the notes read: Corrosion to connectors components and other, that nothing can be done because corrosion means water damage. So I'm basically out on a phone replacement because they say that the phone has seen water. So I turn my attention to my brother and he assures me that no way no how that the phone has ever seen water, and I don't usually believe the kid but this phone clearly was well taken care of and I believe he is telling the truth.

Sorry for the moderately long post, but I felt compelled enough to actually post on the Sprint forums, something I've never done. I feel LG is copping out of their warranty by claiming there is water damage, which isn't even documented other than in writing... I also wish Sprint would handle the warranty's like Verizon, never been with them but I hear they handle all manufacturer warranties at not cost to you. I've never gotten phone insurance because my gf has had insurance with Sprint in the past, all I can say nightmare as if I was the one experiencing it.

Needless to say I'm never going to be buying another LG phone, sounds a bit extreme for this one case, but I'm heavily convinced that the phone did not see water damage. Also I'm a fair guy, I dont get phone insurance because I'm confident that I can take care of my phone, I'm a bit anal, and if I happen to break my phone than so be it, I'll eat the costs. I know this isn't anything of Sprints doing, rather it's Sprint's lack of going the extra mile for it's customer that this will probably be the last contract I sign up with them until they handle manufacturer warrenties. Something tells me if they did it would be a slightly different story.

6 REPLIES 6
Journeyman

Re: LG Warranty Cop Out

I had the same "black out" problem on 3 LG Lotus phones, none of which had ever been in water, dropped or in any way abused. Each was 1-3 mos old. Since I also refused to pay extra for insurance on a new phone and believe the phone seller (in this case Sprint) should be responsible for replacing a new defective phone (but they want to refer to the LG company even though you purchase from Sprint). There are many blogs on web about the LG Lotus defects and I would think Sprint and LG would team up to help their customers not give them a hard time. I have horror stories in dealing with Sprint customer service both in person and over phone. Now I'm just hoping the last phone (which was replaced by Sprint but is a rehab, not new) will last thru my 2 yr contract -- at which time, I will not buy LG nor keep Sprint. Sorry Sprint, but you've really disappointed me this time.

Journeyman

Well it only took two weeks for someone else to chime in on my situation, it feels good to know that I'm not the only one, even though I don't jump for joy at the fact that big companies screw their customers.

Just out of curiousity did the documents LG send you document in any way that the phones you sent in were water damaged other than a line of text saying so.

I too share your sentiment, when my contract runs I'll definitely be jumping to the big red ship. I say that with a heavy heart because one of the reasons I've stayed with Sprint is their competitive pricing. Sprint has been taking steps in the right direction with unlimited mobile to mobile with a data plan, and I've always benefited from nights starting at 7 p.m. with no additional costs. Even though Verizon feature for feature compared to Sprint costs more, I've pretty much had enough of Sprint's lack of quality customer support that I'm willing to pay a premium for less features... Now that says a lot...

Sprint needs to step up with how they handle manufacturer warranties, LG is practically getting away with murder with mine, it goes triple for you... I will admit LG has some balls to send three of their janky products back to you and blame their manufacturer defects on you..

Journeyman

Actually I did not send my LGs back to LG. I gave Sprint a really hard time insisting that they were responsible for replacing a new phone that I had purchased from Sprint not LG. I was referred to a Sprint store where they told me I would have to send it back to Sprint or to LG because they weren't technical enough to know what to do. I told them Sprint on the phone had referred me to them in the store. So they dialed a "tech" person and put me the phone with him. I was then put on hold for almost 30 minutes, at which time I walked out. I called Sprint back and let them know what "customer service" did for me--nada. So then the first replacement was FedX to me and I sent back the defective one. Of course, I had to input all my contacts and set up email all over. Within a short time (forget exactly time in between but my first LG was March this year), the replacement started blacking out. I called Sprint yet again. Was referred to another Sprint store; went there; yada yada yada. There a guy took it in the back for 30 minutes and came out saying it worked. I asked what he did and he said he "opened and closed it" numerous times and cleaned it off (it was not dirty or damaged). I thought it a miracle because it actually booted. I went off to do some shopping and within 30 minutes it had blacked out and didn't work. I went right back to that Sprint store and was told by another person that she had heard that Sprint was going to replace all the defective LG Lotus phones and that I should call Sprint. So I did. Ha, joke on me. Sprint on the phone said no such thing. What a wild runaround these Sprint people take you on. In sum, I ended up with a rehab LG Lotus from that Sprint store turning in the #2new defective phone (they did transfer my contacts at least so I wouldn't have to do that again). Haven't set up email on this one as I figure it will die an early death as the others. What a scam. I've been a Sprint customer for 15 years as were all my family. The family has not long ago left Sprint tiring of the customer service or rather lack of that they all encountered on other issues. When my contact is up, I ride too. Sad but if Sprint can't take responsibility for what it sells and provide honest customer service, my business goes elsewhere. Yes, Verizon may be reaping the business that Sprint loses.

Journeyman

Ahh your situation is slightly different. I thought you had sent your phones in to LG.

I'm actually a bit surprised you managed to get sprint to send you new phones at no cost to you, well at least I'm assuming at no cost to you outside of the 30 day period. Funny thing is my phone which is a centro was actually defective, the battery would not hold a charge, fortunately it happened within the 30 days so Sprint sent in a new one, possibly a refurb and I hoped that it didn't happen again. Well something else did happen to my phone the battery wouldn't hold again! So I called and they said to take it up with Palm's warranty because I was outside of the 30 days, lucky it was a false alarm for me because I didn't feel like dealing with manufacturer warranty as you can see why with my brother's LG phone experience.

But getting back to my surprise, you must of heckled them hard to get them to send you a replacement outside of the 30 days. Because I tried to get them to send me a different phone, because I just didn't want to take my chances with the centro puttering out on me before my contract was up. They wouldn't do it because they said I was outside of the 30 days. This brings me back to why I will be switching to Verzion (lol Verizon should pay me) because all my friends who had problems with their phones due to manufacturer defect was handled by Verizon at no cost to them. I actually lost money with the LG phone because I had to pay for shipping it there on top of the cost of the phone which my brother only got 2 months use out of. So I basically payed to tell them it was irrepairable and have them blame the defect on me. Awesome way to do business...

Journeyman

no cost to me for the phones and yes I laid it on thick. I generally prefer being nice (the old attract more flies with honey) but the Sprint people were being so calm and repetitive in saying that I should have bought the insurance or to send to LG that I let it all out. I cannot understand charging extra for insurance to replace a NEW phone that was defective. Thus, I refused to pay myself to send to LG and finally Sprint relented in giving me the replacements. It's simply an ordeal that I never wish to repeat and as you say, will switch at the end of my bondage period.

Good luck to you and your brother on your phones! Unfortunately in this tech world, we are so tied to them -- but that doesn't mean we should be rooked!

Journeyman

I wish I had the reps you were speaking to that day. The reps I spoke to actually started getting angry at me, which obviously prompted me to raise my voice a little. I tried to stay cordial throughout my phone convo, but when the reps start raising their voice it gets irritating becuase in my head, I'm paying and their yelling at me?

On the flip side I knew it was a losing battle from the start, because they had their policy of 30 days in place to cover their asses. Which is fine, whatever, but it is a stupid policy and one of the biggest reasons why I'm going elsewhere. I didn't try to fight it too much more after they repeated that policy for the third time, even though I think it's complete horse crap. I guess I'm still bitter for paying for a phone that lasted 2 months...

Regarding phone insurance I'm totally against it now, actually my girlfriend had phone insurance with Sprint and I tell you it's a headache even with phone insurance, you go through the same holes you do without phone insurance, and to get them to replace your phone is nothing short of a miracle... What's the point of phone insurance than? Also I've never had the need for phone insurance personally from the 6 years I've been with Sprint and the 2 years I've been with T-Mobile, well maybe I should revise that a bit, because in this instance having phone insurance would have probably help... Probably. However since I know of a company who covers all this at no cost to you w/o phone insurance well, you get the picture.

It's too bad no one else really chimed in on this, as I'm sure we are not the only ones, I do notice when a thread gets large enough some of the Sprint people stop in and say something, or even the phone manufacturers. Oh well.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat