cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MMS over WIFI on V20

Highlighted
Journeyman

MMS over WIFI on V20

I have read several posts in other topics about Sprint having issues with Androids and sending/receiving MMS messages over WIFI. I have this issue no matter what router I am connected to, whether it be my home, work, at a bar, sisters house, etc.  I work for an international IT company and have done research as much as I can find. Tried Textra and that also did not work at all. IT is rather frustrating as the Sprint network map isn't completely true and I do not have service most places that I spend the majority of each day at(ie. home and work).  Is there any other sort of work around or anything to get this to work? Co-workers tend to group message a lot and I'm always running outside on break to grab an LTE signal download everything and play catch up.  The random service drops and this issue has been my only complaint since getting the V20 besides having to do a factory reset for the process com.android.phone

17 REPLIES 17
Highlighted
GrandMaster

if you have an option to connect to wifi/wifi calling it covers SMS and MMS over wifi calling. only other option i can think of would be by using Google Voice i believe but that thing has hit and miss issues from time to time.
I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted

I do have WIFI calling and it is enabled and connected. I can send/receive SMS perfectly fine it is only with MMS, whether it be a group Text via MMS or a picture message coming through MMS it always fails downloading.
Highlighted

just when you are trying to retrieve them correct? they send just fine though? weird. when i had the V20 i had zero issues with MMS over WFC both to and from. this was running the stock messaging app it came with. i could have sworn there were more advanced options in there for the V20 and the stock Google messenger app compared to what i have on the G6 though.
I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted

I'm now back to stock messaging app as well. Everything with SMS works fine but both sending and receiving MMS fails. So I can not send a picture or a group text and cannot get them to download either. Same result when I tried 3rd party apps as well. The V20 has tons of features but when it comes to MMS there are not that many options at all. Not that many WIFI Calling options either. That's why I came here to try and straighten this out.
Highlighted

out of curiosity. have you tried to replicate this while at home or connected to any other WIFI connections other than at work?
Highlighted

Home, Work, Several Bars, My sisters house, friends house. All that have completely different configurations(routers, ISP, etc.) but WIFI Calling is enabled for all of the routers I'm connecting to as well so that is not the issue either. It truly is baffling why it has only been with this phone(which was when I switched to sprint) and just for MMS. Other carriers and phones have no issues at any of the networks either which rules it down to Sprint and possibly the phone although I have a feeling it is still something with Sprint themselves.

have they completely removed WFC from your line and added it back in? also have you tried clearing the data and cache from WFC itself so it dumps all info from it?
Highlighted

I completely reactivated my entire line. Wiped all network settings from phone as well also immediately after a factory reset I still had the same issues occurring so like I said I don't think it is anything on the phone side, I'm 99% certain it is on the Sprint network side not allowing the download to be processed through WFC instead of OTA.
Highlighted

its possible but i dont believe that is it. like i pointed out it worked just fine for me while i ran the V20 without any issues while on WFC.
Highlighted

I'm on TE right now going to have them try to remove WFC from my line and add it back on.
Highlighted

The words from Sprint Tech Expert. "In order to send mms messages your phones needs to use the Sprint network. Wifi can only be used to send mms messages when using third party apps." Which i commented third party apps do not work as well. They then replied after several messages with, " If you are able to send mms messages when you are not connected to wifi then the issues with sending and receiving the messages is the wifi." Even though I had already told them how many times I've tried multiple networks. to which they gave me the first response again.
Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat