cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Optimus S: Should I send it back??

Highlighted
Journeyman

I just got an LG Optimus S yesterday. I haven't even activated it yet....I put it to charge last night and it is still sitting on the charger to be sure i get a really good first charge because I know from past experience that is important. However, reading some of these posts makes me think i should bother???

I know these boards usually offer more complaints then positive feedback..but i'm switching over from a BB cause i really want to try and Android phone (and i can't afford an EVO or i would have one). Can someone give me or a few of you give me a good overall opinion of this phone? is it worth the headache?

i love the look and feel of it but if perfornance isnt' there i'm not sure i want it. i don't mind charging a battery.. my BB stays plugged in at work all day while im here and then i only use it really from 5PM on.

Any insight that can be provided would be greatly appreciated.. (PS I have no idea how to use and Android phone)

Thank you!

Tags (2)
6 REPLIES
Journeyman

Re: Optimus S: Should I send it back??

I have read many of the similar reviews of short battery life.  I have had my LG Optimus S for only a couple weeks, however so far I am absolutely in love with it!  I also love the look and feel, I really like the Android platform...very easy to search and download games/apps/ringtones.  Yes, I do have to charge it daily, however I think that is to be expected as it uses quite a bit of battery for everything it is doing simultaneously.  My last phone, Samsung Reclaim, I had to charge daily too, but that phone was a nightmare for MANY reasons!  I suggest you take your 30 days to try it out and see you think yourself.  At the end of that 30 days, if you don't like it, then you can figure out if you want to return it for something different.  That has been my view since I got mine.  However, I don't see returning mine as I LOVE it!!

Wizard

I am in agreement with Bayleaf's comment.  I highly recommend the Optimus!

Also, if your phone is on the charger until 5 pm, you really should not run out of battery before you retire for the night.  Unless you run some super battery intensive application without pausing to use the restroom. 

Concerning performance, you will be pleased.  It runs very smoothly.  I don't think Sprint has ever offered a 3g Android device that runs as smoothly as the Optimus.  The battery won't last 2 days like a BB, but that should not be a problem for you.  I get over 14 hours of casual use out of my Optimus.

One thing to note: Please replace the SD card!  The free Samsung card that comes with it has some issues.  It appears a class 4 or 6 speed card is the most compatible.  You can format the card using the phone by tapping menu, settings, SD card, Unmount, then Format.

Journeyman

Funny thing about the SD card they sent me...its a full size one..like the one you would put into a digital camera. i couldn't beleive it..the crazy thing is tho that the sticker on the card says Micro. Can i use my BB SD card in the mean time? Can i run the phone without it until i bring it to the store and get one?

Wizard

Sure, toss in your BB micro SD card.  I recommend to format it, though, using the phone.

Journeyman

1) Concerning the SD Card being full size.  The mini card is not full size. The Mini card fits inside the full size card that they gave you.  This is so that you can continue to transfer data/pictures/files from the Mini to a regular SD slot.

2) I used the mini card from a Samsung Instinct, on my LG Optimus S and now I have twice the size of storage space. No problems were encountered. I didn't even have to format the card.  The pictures that I took with the Samsung are available on the LG.

3) I love my LG.  There are only 2 problems with it.

It doesn't have a good Voice Activated calling feature.  There is an application that you have to activate by touching but it always gets the wrong contact.  The Samsung Instinct on the other hand is great for Voice Activated Calling. All you do there is press a button and say "Call John Doe Home/Work/Mobile".  I truly miss that.

The other problem is that Adobe Flash Player doesn't work with the LG Optimus S.  Most small videos are in the Flash format.  Adobe says that Flash should work with Android 2.2.  Well my phone has Android 2.2.1 and it doesn't work.  I home Adobe fixes this.

P.S. on long trips my kids ask me for my LG Optimus because Android has tons of games.  Yes, the battery wears out when your playing games but I never have a problem with my phone's battery during normal use since I surf a little, text a little, and call people any time during the day.

Hope this helps,

Arthur Elizondo

Journeyman

The phone is good in concept, but flawed in many ways.First it over heats, I tried shutting everything off,but the wifi is trying to make a date with my wifi printer,and two computers. A new phone was shipped to me the very next day, but my original phone started working fine, so I sent their phone back, and guess what? My phone started overheating again.I kept their phone for two weeks,just to be sure, and the minute I send the phone back, well you know.Then today the electrical power went off, and when I tried to use my phone, it had no service, mind you! yesterday the battery died in the middle of the day,so when I got home last night I charged it.Some how I noticed a little plane icon on the top of the screen.After persuing, I found the phone was in airplane mode, so I went to settings, but you can't shut this feature off in call settings, even though you can't make a call.( no service), you have to shut this feature off in WIFI settings, I did! and service was restored. All the time I taught a cell tower was down.The phone is on the charger as I write this, so I can get through the rest of the day.The phone has good potential, but LG needs to change the name of this phone to Pessimuss, until they correct the problem.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:30 AM CT - 5:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat