cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Optimus S battery life and cell standby?

Journeyman

Optimus S battery life and cell standby?

I've had my Optimus for less than a week and the battery already dies within a day just from being on standby. The phone shows 60% of battery use going towards cell standby with 50% of time being without a signal. This is not correct because I have a signal 100% of the time and the phone never indicates it has lost or is searching for one. I just called Sprint support and the guy I talked to suggested that I take my phone to a Sprint store and have them run diagnostics on it to see if there really is a problem. He said Sprint hasn't posted anything about this as a problem, so he couldn't really help, but he did say I could trade my phone in since it's still under the 30 day guarantee. I'm frustrated because I like the phone, but the battery life sucks and I guess I'll have to take it to a Sprint store to find out if it's something that can be fixed or if it's just how the phone is. I read some of the posts on hear and some people suggest it could be a bug and the phone really isn't searching for a signal the entire time it's on standby, which may be true but I still want to know for sure so I can trade my phone for a different one before my 30 days is up. Hopefully it can be fixed and Sprint will get enough complaints to do something about it.

Anyone else having the same problem?

Tags (2)
9 REPLIES 9
Wizard

Re: Optimus S battery life and cell standby?

If you read the other posts about this same issue, what more do you expect to gain by making a new topic about the exact same subject?  I think it would benefit more if people read/post in existing threads so that all the information is together.

Journeyman

Who are you the discussion police? Lol, you're a tool and I guess you can't read so I'll make another post so other tools like you who can't read can understand the question. I want to know if anyone else has experienced the same problem and found a solution by either going to a Sprint store or talking to someone from Sprint. Oh wait a sec.......I think I asked the same thing on the first post........but that's right you can't read.

Journeyman

I having the same problem . I just got my phone activated on Tues. 1/4/11. I went back to a Sprint store on 1/6/11 and complained that the battery was half used up and I didn't use the phone. They told me it was defective and to replace it. I had it less than 30 days. I called Sprint and they will replace it.

MLB

Wizard

Okay, you make a point.  I shouldn't be making fun of your post.  I apologize.  I typically try to help folks, but I goofed up in this case.

Try this link:

http://community.sprint.com/baw/thread/55927?start=20

There is some good information about the "time without signal" bug as well as a link to the bug report with Google, which explains why the percentage is skewed.  It appears the time without signal percentage bug does not affect your battery life, it's just an incorrect number.

Journeyman

Yes, I have the same problem!  In addition, we live out in a rural area, and cannot use our cell phones inside our house.  I try to check my voice mails by tapping on the voice mail icon, but it always says "No voice mails."  Yet, when I call my own number and enter the password to retrieve voice mail, I have some voice mails!  Frustrating is the word for this phone!!  I should have known when it was on sale that it was too good to be true!!

Wizard

Did you set up visual voicemail?

We tried the Transform and the 256mb of RAM really hurts performance, and you are probably not willing to pay the $10/mo awesome fee, so you have the best 3g phone available.  Trust me, if you had any other phone, you would be exponentially more frustrated!  The Optimus is actually a pretty good phone.

Journeyman

I'm having the same issue and now I'm trying to decide if I should go with the EVO instead (I'm still within the 30 days). Has anyone exchanged their optimus for a new phone (optimus or other) and now have better battery life?

Journeyman

Yes. I excanged my optimus S for another one,because of the short battery life. The new one is a little better. However, it is a problem.  I really don't know what to do now, except go back to my old phone.

Wizard

I doubt anyone will get much more than a full day out of an Android, unless you buy a huge battery.  Have you seen the size of the extended battery for the Evo?  Perhaps just buy a spare battery.  That would be easier than carrying a huge phone.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat