cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with LG Optimus S

Journeyman

I bought this phone in December of 2010 and am on my 4th handset.  I have had every problem in the book with these phones and every time they send me another refurbished one it has some kind of defect right from the start.  I made the mistake of getting a second Optimus S for my wife thinking they had certainly addressed the software issues 7 months later but apparently not... At this point I am considering switching to another carrier because I just can't stomach getting yet another hand-me-down phone.  Apparently the refurbishment process means you polish the scratches out of the screen and send it to someone else and hope they won't notice the problems?

I've had Sprint for years, I left for a while when my company provided me a phone and went back because I think Sprint has the most reasonably priced plans but since I've been back I've had nothing but problems and I get different excuses every time I talk to anyone.  Sure, the customer service is much "nicer" but they are just "friendlier" about telling you they aren't going to do anything to help solve your issues.

I'm tired of being told that I should turn my phone off and remove the battery... how many times a day should I have to do that before they realize there's something wrong?  I'm tired of resetting my phone and having to re-install everything and re-download all my music.  Most of all I'm tired of telling the same things over and over to customer service reps (who have been very nice about not helping me) and going to the Sprint store and being told to call Sprint and then being told to go back to the Sprint store...

This latest phone I received just goes black every now and then and I have to remove the battery to get it to do anything.  If I call Sprint they will just send me another one (#5) and it will have some other problem.  People at Sprint have told me the other phone options are even worse than the Optimus... hard to believe... but the other one they said I could get isn't even a similar phone (Samsung Replenish I think) and it has a keyboard with a tiny screen so it's not useful for me.

12 REPLIES 12
Wizard

Hi,

I am sending you a PM, please check your inbox.

Thank you,

----George

Journeyman

Re: Problems with LG Optimus S

Send me a PM also, I'm having the same Problems and nothing Helps!

Message was edited by: GeeBee69

Sprint Employee

Hello GeeBee69, please send me a private message, I would be happy to help you. PS you may also edit the post, you should remove your Email address for safety and to comply with our community guidelines.

No longer working Community Response.
Journeyman

My daughters Optimus screen will go Black and the battery Get's Hot. She has to Remove the battery, waite for it to cool down and then put it back in.  This is becoming more and more frequent. What can we do?

Journeyman

I have been having problems with my phone since they did the gingerbread update to it.  Slow and sloth like.  Half of the time the touch screen does not react and then the phone will start acting on it's own as if it remembers all of my touch screen activity all of a sudden.  I was sent to a sprint store where they "factory reset" my phone just to put gingerbread back on it and my problem was not resolved.  My calls to customer service ended with a supervisor whom was no available supposedly calling me back, that was over a month ago.  I am considering switching carriers myself.

Journeyman

this has been a known issue. updating the phone's OS to gingerbread makes the phone crazy. contantly freezing, screen going black etc. so for optimus users, please dont update your OS.

Journeyman

Oh I never had a choice, I woke up one morning and it said an update has been downloaded it will be on your phone the next time it reboots.  Then when I took it to the sprint store, they reset it with 2.3 back right on it.  Never had much of a choice.  When I have called into the customer service center they pretty much tell me their is nothing they can do.  What I don't understand is that if LG is the one pushing the "update" like they claim, then why do the optimus phones that Virgin Mobile and other carriers not having the update forced upon them?  No one can answer that question.  I feel that this forced update is actually a violation of my service agreement, the service I originally paid for has changed in such a way without my consent that I can no longer use the service as I did at the time I originally signed up for the service.  I keep getting told BS answers, like replace the phone with the same exact model that will have the same exact issues with the same exact forced update.

Journeyman

Well my optimus had several issues with 2.3 Gingerbread.I took mine to a service center and they reinstalled 2.2 and it works fair.But i still have issues of freezing and its just becoming a real pain in the behind now.I really wish i would have got a different phone now.So i'll take to the sprint store and have them reset it and hope it helps. Good Luck

Master

Keletor wrote:

Oh I never had a choice, I woke up one morning and it said an update has been downloaded it will be on your phone the next time it reboots.  Then when I took it to the sprint store, they reset it with 2.3 back right on it.  Never had much of a choice.  When I have called into the customer service center they pretty much tell me their is nothing they can do.  What I don't understand is that if LG is the one pushing the "update" like they claim, then why do the optimus phones that Virgin Mobile and other carriers not having the update forced upon them?  No one can answer that question.  I feel that this forced update is actually a violation of my service agreement, the service I originally paid for has changed in such a way without my consent that I can no longer use the service as I did at the time I originally signed up for the service.  I keep getting told BS answers, like replace the phone with the same exact model that will have the same exact issues with the same exact forced update.

The Android 2.3 update was pulled from the update servers a few days after the update was rolled out due to the issues. All replacement and new phones since then are still being flashed with the 2.2 software. Sprint service and repair locations have the tools to downgrade phones back to Android 2.2 and the same tools and instructions are availabe at http://shop2.sprint.com/en/software_downloads/pda_smartphone/lg_optimus_s.shtm if you want to do it yourself without taking the phone into a store. The update is not being pushed out anymore to handsets running Android 2.2 and hasn't been since the update was pulled a few days after the rollout started.

Journeyman

The link is broken, it leads to a Page Not Found.  This is what I am speaking about, Sprint is responsible adn refuses to do anything about it.

Sprint Employee

Hello, he meant to post http://shop2.sprint.com/en/software_downloads/pda_smartphone/lg_optimus_s.shtml you can find all available downloads from Sprint by going to www.sprint.com/downloads.

No longer working Community Response.
Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat