cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question regarding buying the LG Rumor online and then adding it to an existing plan?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Question regarding buying the LG Rumor online and then adding it to an existing plan?

hello,
My question is I want to buy the LG rumor online. Can I buy it online and then add it to an existing plan? I don't want to make it its own plan I just want to put it on an existing plan is that possible? Im really bad with this kind of stuff so any help is helpful!
Do I have to buy it on the sprint website also? Or can I buy it on another but put it on an existing plan. Any help?
Thanks!

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Question regarding buying the LG Rumor online and then adding it to an existing plan?

it depends on what you want to do.

If you have an existing phone, or phones on a family plan, you can add the phone to that plan for an extra $10/mo. This requires a family plan, if you have a single plan you can convert it to family plan but you have to pick out a family plan. I think you may have to do it on the phone if you're converting a single plan to a family plan, but you should be able to add to a family plan online.

If you have an existing single plan, and you just want to use a new phone instead of your phone, this is called an upgrade. that's never a problem and you can always do it online.

You should be aware that how much the phone costs will depend on what kind of contract you get. If you're adding to an existing family plan or making a family plan with another phone, you probably will have to sign a 2 year contract on the Rumor's line.

However if you are upgrading an existing single line, you may have more options. What they are depends on how much you want to spend, and how much contract you have left.
If you are within the first year of your contract, you will have to pay full price for the phone, but the upgrade shouldn't affect your contract date.
If you're in the second year of your contract, you can choose to sign a new 2year contract (your contract date becomes 2yrs from when you buy the rumor, effectively adding a year to your contract) you get the phone for retail - $75. Or you can pay full price and leave the contract alone.
If you're out of contract, or within 2 months of your contract expiring, you have more options. You can sign a new 1year contract and get $75 off retail. Or you can sign a new 2year contract and get $150 off retail. Or you can pay full price for the phone and your contract isn't affected. If you're out of contract, paying full price will let you continue contract-free.

FYI, online will always give you whatever the maximum available contract/discount is. So if you want a lower discount or not to sign a contract, I suggest go in a store and watch them do it on the computer, all reps get some kind of bonus for contract extension and it's not unheard of for a phone rep to extend your contract anyway.

Hope that helps!

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat