ForumTopicPage
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When is the next security update?

Journeyman

Re: When is the next security update?

T-mo just patched up to the May 2017 security update: http://www.tmonews.com/2017/05/t-mobile-lg-v20-update-security-patches-bug-fixes/

Cmon, Sprint!

Highlighted
GrandMaster

https://community.sprint.com/t5/LG-V20/LG-V20-LS997ZV7-Security-Update-and-fixes/m-p/961232#M195 <<<~~~ you mean that? since the bug fixes were added in and are slightly different from carrier to carrier since the phones are usually carrier specific i would guess that was the hold up.
I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

Thanks. Not available to me yet--guess it's rolling out gradually.

Journeyman

Bug fixes are not carrier unless the bug is in the radio. And even then the biggest fixes come from the chip maker on that (Qualcomm). Bug fixes are done at the manufacturer level. Testing is done at the manufacturer and service provider level to insure proper function of the phone. That is all the Carrier does other than incorporate its own bloatware. Now if Sprint bloatware is the problem that shouldn't be the fault of the end user who is purchasing the phone and paying for service. Security updates are put out monthly by LG. Testing and the addition of bloatware shouldn't take several months. It should be done within a week. Just like it is done at the manufacturer level. Anyone who has flashed phones or has had anything to do with modifying Android knows these things. Bottom line is security updates to our phones should never be more than 2 weeks behind the release from google. There is just no excuse. 

GrandMaster

testing shouldnt take that long...unless? would you like to answer that one or shall i? unless problems are found. did you also notice that 2 weeks after your last post TMO released their update?
I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

Yup. T-Mobile is usually about a month behind on updates. What's Sprints excuse?

GrandMaster

any number of things could have held it up..issues spotted during testing..the addition of more things not listed since that tends to happen from time to time..
Journeyman

Yup. Could have been any of those things. But most likely it was the same old story of Sprint not wanting to take the time to push an update. Just like it has on so many other devices in the past. You are right about one thing though. I will never buy a phone that relies on carriers for updates again. This is my first and last. Probably going to end up leaving Sprint too since I have so many issues with their coverage here in Dallas. We will see what October holds. Oh and shouldn't we have got the newest Android update by now?  Android 7.1.2 has been out for a while now. We haven't even made 7.1.1. Lol. Sad, sad, sad Sprint. 

GrandMaster

i know V and Sprint are usually pretty close to each other on releases..sometimes V beats them andor vise versa..and no idea..i dont see any word of it over at V either..then again they dont even have a forum dedicated to the V20 over there..or any of the newer devices for that matter..which is odd.
GrandMaster

just popped over to V and typed in 7.1.2 and not even a single blip popped up..as in not a single mention of it over there...by anyone..
Journeyman

Not unusual. V is like the former Soviet Union. The don't like any comments against the state. 

GrandMaster

not a single blip from customers either though..a few posts about 7.1.1 but those were mainly Google phone owner posts..so makes sense since they will get it well before anyone else.
Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat