cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When is the next security update?

Highlighted
Journeyman

When is the next security update?

We're approaching 3 months since the last update, and unfortunately for me, work is requiring updated Android Security patches for me to continue to receive corporate email.  Can someone provide a schedule for when we will see the roll-out of new security patches past the December update?  Is there any way to get an idea of how often we should be receiving these?  Three months is highly unacceptable especially when major issues are identified (as was in the January 17 Android Security patch).

23 REPLIES 23
Highlighted
GrandMaster

security updates are on the shoulders of both Google and the OEM..in this case LG..the carrier does a bit of testing to make sure it doesnt cause any issues but its on the OEM to kick this out in the end. nthere isnt any time frame or schedule on when they will be released. the Nexus line doesnt even have a scheduled security update release date and they get it directly from Google.
I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted

The Nexus line, while not ever giving an exact date does however receive security updates monthly. The OEM does get these updates but does not push them to the end user. Sprint has the final say on what gets pushed to us. If it were up to LG we would get monthly security updates also since they have to go through the update even for the Nexus line. Sprint is the hold up not LG.
Highlighted

testing is where the hold up is. since the Nexus line is Google they get it directly without any issues. the OEM must test and tune on their side..then the carrier must test it to make sure it doesnt bork up anything when it comes to the usual basics..then it finally gets the ok to be pushed. if a issue is found then there is even more of a hold up. not to mention usually additional stuff is added into the security updates coming from the OEM to fix small bugs or whatnot..so there is an additional add on of time right there.
I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted

example~ https://community.sprint.com/t5/LG-V20/LG-V20-LS997-LS997ZV6-Bug-fix-and-Android-Security-update/m-p...
Highlighted

Replying to bump the thread and express my interest in a reply. The last security update we received was the Feb patch, and several significant vulnerabilities have been announced since then.

Highlighted

actually the last update you guys received was in April..which means it was probably the March update that was received.
Highlighted

The last update we received was in APRIL. Sad to say that the security update was from February and still will not address the latest exploits patched by Google last month. So again, Sprint, not LG has us 4 months behind on security updates and Android 7.1.2 is also in the wind.  7 was released in October of last year and 7.1 was in December. So given that LG is supposed to release 7.1.2 for the V20 in June or July we may get the update after Android 8 is on the newest phones.   http://www.androidfinest.com/android-7-1-2-nougat-for-lg-g5-and-v20-features-and-release-date/

Highlighted

February update is clearly shown after April Sprint Update.

Android Security Patch Level is what always needs to be up to date for Corporate IT MailAndroid Security Patch Level is what always needs to be up to date for Corporate IT Mail

Highlighted

aside from the Nexus line i dont believe there has EVER been a device out there that has been fully up to speed with the current security updates as they are released..they are always behind the nexus line since more have to go into them compared to the Google devices.
Highlighted

LG releases Android security updates right after they get them from Google. It's the Carrier that has to push them to us. This link gives you the latest security releases from LG. Still Sprint will not push them.

https://lgsecurity.lge.com/security_updates.html

Highlighted

Sprint needs to stop being the hold up!

https://www.cyberscoop.com/smartphone-security-android-pew-review-version/See highlighted area for your info on who updates most frequentlySee highlighted area for your info on who updates most frequently

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat