cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

why is my touch screen not responding

Highlighted
Journeyman

why is my touch screen not responding

I have a LG Rumor Touch.  I've never got it wet, dropped it, misused it, or anything.  Everytime I use the touch screen for the past few days, it is not working.  I tried to calibrate the phone with settings, but it doesn't work. What do I do!!  I haven't had this phone very long!

37 REPLIES 37
Highlighted

DJBOGLE, I would suggest taking your device into a Sprint authorized service center. The technicians in store can diagnose your phone for repair or replacement. As long as there is no physical or liquid damage, they will advise if we can replace it under warranty if it cannot be fixed. With TEP, you won't have to pay anything. If you don't have TEP on your account, you will be looking at a $35 fee if the device is still under warranty. You can locate the nearest store to you here http://www.sprintstorelocator.com/locator/

Highlighted
Journeyman

SAME PROBLEM - this device is quite practically useless.  It's never dropped, wet, etc.  182 days until eligible for upgrade.  It has current software version update, recent PRL update, power cycled, etc.  EVERY DAY, sometimes several times a day.  Since it's past the 1 yr warranty, no TEP, and it's virtually useless - what will they really do for me at the store???  Quite frankly, after SEVERAL YEARS WITH SPRINT, I have no intention of paying 35 bucks to be told I'm stuck with it.   With this issue being so common with these phones, I don't want another one, just a regular phone for ONLY making calls.  Now I can't even do that MOST OF THE TIME.. 

I'm disabled, and so is one of our children, that's why I have the "thing".   When the BlackBerry (another line on my plan) was locking up over and over on a trip for our daughter's recent out of town wedding (monumentally inconvenient) mine was a brick, too.  There we were, out of town, lost of last minute stuff, and NO COMMUNICATION.  The disabled kiddo's LG OptimusS phone is also becoming randomly spotty, and was especially bad in Chicago, not good at all...we always had excellent coverage there in the past, without ever resetting or updating anything on these devices...great coverage was another reason I've been a very long term customer. Some folks complain on here about Customer Service, but our experiences have been excellent.  

What is Advanced Exchange?  Would it apply in this "out of warranty" situation?  If so, I'll pay the $35.00 "repair" fee to get into another simpler phone.   I'm really beyond "dealing with" what has become nightmare of a device.  The devices should last the term of the contract with proper care, at least.   I appreciate your consideration of this problem in advance, and await a reply.  Thanks.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Add me to the list. Same exact problems as many have described in this forum. Sometimes to answer a call sliding out the keyboard will work, sometimes not. Pressing a menu item will result in no action or a completely wrong selection.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I feel the same way about the LG Rumor. It has been nothing but but a pain from the first day we have had them. I just want to make a call, take a call, and access voicemail. We have 4 computers in the house to handle the internet stuff.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'm not going to be staying with sprint after the ordeal I've had with Sprint and this faulty LG Rumor Touch. This is stupid and one of the absolute worst business contract I've ever been involved with. I'll go back to cricket once my service contract is up. They have the same super crappy service but at half the cost. Sprint scammed me into a 2 year contract and stuck me with a phone with KNOWN ISSUES regarding the touchscreen and all that happens is I'm told to go to a "sprint authorized service center", then I pay 35$ dollars to be reassured politely that they are screwing me?

Well, I say screw you, Sprint! I'll be warning everyone I know and everyone I don't know about your outright refusal to provide marginally fair customer service to someone that's paid you thousands of dollars.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Same issue here. once contract is up going to Virgin Mobile.  Same exact service for half the friggin price. Never going to go contract phone ever again! The monthly fee isn't worth the headache.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I am having the exact same problem. Went down to the sprint store and was told don't bother paying the $35 they know it's a problem and can't fix it???? The cheapest phone they had was $75!!!! I went next door to Target and bought a $79.99 vigin mobile phone. I figure since the plan is 1/3 of the price I'll make up the $110 early termination fee in 2 months!  (and the insurance is half the price)

Now does anyone know how I can get the pictures and video's off this phone??

Highlighted
Journeyman

To anyone has that problem, do this may help to reuse your unusable rumor touch: use your finger press top slide toward home key side  ( not toward the bottom slide/the keyboard ) while hold bottom slide steady, then try use touch screen. There maybe connector problem between top slide and bottom slide, once you press top one hard then touch screen back to work. The touch screen is good again now in my case, try this, while you wait for the contract ends.

Remember, it works only when you press, too much trouble but at least you got it back to work.

LG Rumor Touch (LN510).jpg

Update: Using this mothod may re-use your phone for couple days, but later this makes further damage to the 2 slides connectors and finally the screen completely doesn't work any more. Please don't do this unless what you doing is really more important than your phone.

As someone mentioned below, invest more to get a durable device. But in my 10 years experience with sprint, the first phone I bought I paid nearly 150 dollars, it is good for first year and next year is totally nightmare with the battery, it is Sumsung. Another  phone is nice LG fusic and almost free, it lasts 2 years with no problem other than battery life becomes shorter and shorter. I still wanna use it but sprint don't let me do it after this LG rumor touch drived me crazy. Nowaday the phone is better and better, and more expensive. The call plan we have which without data plan doesn't have many phone to choose. Do you guys think Sprint let these bad phone out just because they wanna plss off those cheap customers and then choose to pay more on device or their plan? NO! The customers just turned to another carrier. The phone cheap or not, the plan expensive or not, that doesn't matter any more after 2 years in "prison" with sprint.

I thought the real reason of this happens just because Sprint use CDMA phones and no too many manufactories make CDMA phone and lack of support for that, and sprint still kepping their smaller market share after so many years. When we talked about apple makes iphone for sprint to boost their business, and here is the question what they did to improve their device quality before the iphone thing? No, sprint phones' SIM card are not easy to be changed, even though they got one but it is hid inside the sealed body, unlike GSM phone, once phone goes wrong, just take the SIM card out and put in a new phone so the service goes on, the life goes on. So the people comes here compains the bad phone, actually they are complaining the sprint service, the sprint support, the sprint customers service policies. Because while a sprint phone goes wrong, a part of life goes wrong, and may last 2 years unless you choose to pay early termination fee. What do you think send back to repair? Use your old sprint phone while waiting? How is these old phones when you reuse them? Battery life or years on shelf with dust? What about the need to be repaired phone is out of its own 1 years warranty while we sign 2 years contract when we bought them? Is this the answer customers should have or Sprint should have?

Sprint do have a good customer service, I am pleased in most years. But it is not enough if they really wanna grow their business.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I agree, between the spotty reception and this crappy touchscreen, I am done with Sprint.  Going to their service centers is even worse.  You spend about 40 minutes before even being helped, since they want to make your visit more "personal".  If I wasn't on a family plan which will charge me for each phone I terminate early I would have eaten the $110.00 by now just to get to something better. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

My LG Rumor Touch has a problem with calibrating the screen. When I use the screen display keys, the number display doesn't match the touch location.  For example, I have to press the "4" key in order to get a "1", etc. I have to press approximately 1/4 inch below the proper key to get it to work.  Obviously very frustrating.

I've tried to calibrate the phone, rigidly following the directions for calibration.  However, if I attempt to touch the red dot in the middle of the 4 arrows, I get the following error:  "Out of Range. Please Try Again".  I thought the purpose of calibration was to acknowledge where I am touching, but apparently not.  Has anybody encountered this problem and solved it?  Interestlingly, my wife's LG Rumor Touch, bought at the same time does not exhibit this behavior.  Thanks for any feedback.

Highlighted
Journeyman

If you have insurance go to your local sprint repair store and tell them you a replacement tsp that solves the issue.

Highlighted
Journeyman

If you don't have insurance and 3 of the 4 Rumors have failed or are failing, your are not a happy consumer. You know what unhappy consumers do? They tell everyone that will listen the product failed and to NOT get one.The quality of the phone does reflect on SPRINT, even if it is a LG phone. Who did the quality assurance to check the digitizers that keep failing?

SPRINT,  I feel this is a known issue (see the 2 pages of posts) and the company is being lazy not recalling and replacing the phones.

You can call me but I might not be able to answer.....sometimes my touch screen doesn't respond!

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat